American made chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjh245

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Being born in 1980 I was not around to remember the hayday of Poulans, Homelites, McCullochs, and others. What happened to the American chainsaws? Are there any high quality saws being made in the USA? I know people who have 30+ year old american saws that are of high quality but, i feel like the newer stuff is of a lower quality.

Unfortunately I have to agree.America is not represented very well these days in the chainsaw market.Though for my own reasons I still prefer older,larger american made saws.I have a good friend who has used wood to heat his home for 20+ years and he uses a husqvarna of about 50+cc displacement.However he has had to replace the piston/cylinder on a relatively new saw already and feels that he has to keep two saws all the time just in case.He is an older fella and likes the light weight of these saws and the high chain speed but complains that they stall in the cut a little easy.I could just chalk this up to inexperience except that he has been doing this for 20+ years.Also his son whom I happen to cut wood with has a 70+cc husky.Once again this saw has great chainspeed but stalls much easier than any of my older saws of the same size.The weight of the older saws has never really been an issue for me either and I realize this is a major factor for most people.Sumpn bout plastic covers just don't seem right to me.:D

cubic centimeters for ever:laugh:

Thats what happens when you keep buying European saws in preference to the home grown varity, now the Europeans own McCulloch and most other brands, Stihls are made all over the world see whats written on some of the components like Made in Mexico / Brazil / Philipines.

Don't worry Stihl is not an American made product it's only assembled in VA.

Mc Bob.

the problem here is that laborers from afar will work hard, put in long days for next to nothing. they will walk or ride a bicycle to work. read a book instead of going to a movie or watch tv. eat bowls of rice and seaweed and not steak and lobster. never go on vacation. what the heck are they thinking? marty

I'll put an xl-12 against any new saw of similar displacement. I love watching 30 year old machine stomp on new plastic ????

Your right Big1079 while the saws of today live on revs yesterdays saws at least had a bit of grunt especially the older Homies and Mac's of XL-12 and 10-10 sizing but that was saws that belonged to the farm market not the consumer market.

The consumer market got exactly what it wanted cheap throw away saws.

Mc Bob.

Ahh The stihl plant is about 20 miles from me I know about 4 or 5 people that work their I got to take a tour of the plant. They said they were one of the last companies to still make their saws in the Us. They might make them here in the Us but the team they have assembling them is defiently not from the Us. It was really cool to see it done though. I couldn't understand what the people on the assembly line were saying though they talked to quickly with a forieign accident.

stihl

we had a good saw made in canada, PIONEER, but what do the majority on this site use, stihl. we run that poor little pioneer into the ground, when they went under, we bought mcculloch, wore out two pro-mac 610's. when they went under, jonsered. i really hope they survive because i love their saws.

Maybe bicycles..can't compare Harley's to modern machines..they have
become more like a fashion statement..wonder if the same marketing
stratagy would work with saws??? Humm....I think not. Saws are about
making money or doing real work. Form has to follow function, not the
other way around. Harley's are about entertainment.

Another side to this story is we just bought a Honda assembled in Alabama with most of its components made in the US or Canada. It is a great product and my benefiting from free trade can mean a better life for lots of people.

I was told that the first step down for Mac was being bought out by Black & Decker, who focused only on the home market. Was that the case?

I like competition. I was also under the impression that the Mac Pro 81E really did a lot for chain saw improvement by other manufacturers. That the Husky 266 sponsored the effort that made the Stihl 044 as good as it was.
If we choose to not compete in any given field, don't blame the foreign guy or feel obligated to buy local crap.

I say we get all the old Homelites and send them to Gypo.
When he's done modding them they'll only weigh four pounds and then we'll introduce the new line of saws.

We will use the uhmlott'n so they look Sweedish.

NÜ-Hömíe

Back