American Made Saws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about that myself. The problem is Alaska alone cannot supply our oil demand. I feel our country is no longer capable of providing and catering everyones needs as a constitutional republic, so thats where the outsourcing comes in. Personally though, i see no harm in foreign competetion is just seems to bring about higher quality products and competitive pricing. If we didn't have competition, stihl would of never brought out the 361 to crush it.:clap: I'll agree with you though everyone has a different respective outlook

I agree, foreign competition is a "good thing", however, lets keep it on an even playing field: Give us the same chance in other countries to provide our products without the discrimative practices we are facing today! And yes Alaska ALONE cannot supply our oil demand, however, it combined with our other geographical resources which have been abandoned (due to the availabilty of foreign resources) is more than sufficient to keep up with our demands today, and in years to come. Our production technology would need a major overhaul, but again, that would mean more US jobs, and it is obtainable. We got lazy when it was "cheaper to buy oil from others than it was to produce it ourselves", thats when our producing methods were put on a back burner. The American Farmer hasn't forgotten how to produce crops to this day; they are still able to grow the same products year after year, just a little more efficiently (if they can afford the newer equipment & technology). Soon we won't even be able to do do that. The Midwest is being bought up by other countries every day: When was the last time you talked to a farmer in the Midwest who used to own 10,000 acres between the family and is seeing 25,000 acres surrounding them being purchaced by foreign investers? Just take a trip & have a conversation with some locals! I have never seen corn (or anything for that matter) growing in the "Badlands" of the USA, I doubt very seriously they can grow in in the arab countries, what happened to the food for oil thought process?

I better quit, before I really get on a rant!

Why you always hatin' dude??? I've never seen someone so negative all the time. If I were there with you I'd give you a big hug, or prolly a beer or root beer barrel. Or my wife would. You'd feel better if you just had a big hug I think, or a root beer barrel. So much hate... I feel if you'd take the time to run a Stihl for a few days your outlook would be alot better dude. Most Husky users have that penned up aggression. I love you man...

:cheers: :jester: :laugh:

You misread me. I've got an obnoxious smirk on my face as I'm making about 90% of my posts. :cheers:

I know dude

You misread me. I've got an obnoxious smirk on my face as I'm making about 90% of my posts. :cheers:

Hence the, "I love you" statement at the bottom... hehehehehehehe...

Look at the husky owner above though. See??? He's about to go off...

:laugh:

I agree, foreign competition is a "good thing", however, lets keep it on an even playing field: Give us the same chance in other countries to provide our products without the discrimative practices we are facing today! And yes Alaska ALONE cannot supply our oil demand, however, it combined with our other geographical resources which have been abandoned (due to the availabilty of foreign resources) is more than sufficient to keep up with our demands today, and in years to come. Our production technology would need a major overhaul, but again, that would mean more US jobs, and it is obtainable. We got lazy when it was "cheaper to buy oil from others than it was to produce it ourselves", thats when our producing methods were put on a back burner. The American Farmer hasn't forgotten how to produce crops to this day; they are still able to grow the same products year after year, just a little more efficiently (if they can afford the newer equipment & technology). Soon we won't even be able to do do that. The Midwest is being bought up by other countries every day: When was the last time you talked to a farmer in the Midwest who used to own 10,000 acres between the family and is seeing 25,000 acres surrounding them being purchaced by foreign investers? Just take a trip & have a conversation with some locals! I have never seen corn (or anything for that matter) growing in the "Badlands" of the USA, I doubt very seriously they can grow in in the arab countries, what happened to the food for oil thought process?

I better quit, before I really get on a rant!

Let me brace myself for your rant:cry: you gotta alot of good points, if more people would farm though. The problem there is that there were alot of farmers at one time there wa stoo much competition between then, its actually a good thing 2 percent of people in america are farmers that was they are at a equilibrium. See if there were more farmers then the supply would be greater than the demand kind of like the old days. I don't think America is capable of producing that much alternative fuel unless its hydrogen::) Farmers aren't going to change ther eminds anyways, do they really want to work hard there wholes lives and just barely make it. or do they want to sell there farmland for enough money to live comfortable all there lives. Arabs could farm but hey whats the points they go enough money to do whatever they want why do they want to grow crops when they got a cash crop in oil

The biggest thing ALL of your are forgetting is NAFTA. That is the reason other companies from other countries can outsell our american companies. There are several factors there. #1, they have to pay zero taxes to bring in they're goods because of NAFTA. The second thing is wages in the US. A company I worked for had janitors making $50k/yr to mop floors. We've already lost when it comes to what they can sell for. They can be competitive, this means selling for a little less and as americans most people look to save every nickel they can. Hence, they pay their workers almost nothing, then they pay NO taxes to import, they are ahead before their products even get to the stores. Unions coupled with crooked fatcat politicians and old treaties have been the demise of the american economy. Unions are the reason janitors are making $25/hr, politicians are taking kickbacks to keep the old treaties in place, and we as americans allow this to go on. Not necessarily us, but people in general. We as americans shouldn't be afraid of the damned politicians, they should be afraid of US!!!!!!!!!! Just my .02 and a side no one had mentioned...

:cheer: eh?

The taxes that are paid are to be paid by the end user when they buy that said product by the way of sales tax in the state they are sold in. If a foreign product is brought into Canada and then to the US and it hasn't been assembled or worked on in Canada it is subject to duties in the US, it is also subject to duties when it enters into Canada, so nothing is tax free.

As for oil prices take a look at what you drive! If it is a gas hog and you have to commute more than 10 or 15 minutes to work then shouldn't you do your share and down size or car pool? The US imports 1 million barrels a day from Canada. My truck has a V8, it is 7 years old and I don't have 60,000 miles on it yet. I use the family mini van as it get better mpg's (trying to save on fuel)

Hey Cisco are you from Canada? eh? (I thought us northern hosers were the only ones that used that - eh!) :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

agreed

The biggest thing ALL of your are forgetting is NAFTA. That is the reason other companies from other countries can outsell our american companies. There are several factors there. #1, they have to pay zero taxes to bring in they're goods because of NAFTA. The second thing is wages in the US. A company I worked for had janitors making $50k/yr to mop floors. We've already lost when it comes to what they can sell for. They can be competitive, this means selling for a little less and as americans most people look to save every nickel they can. Hence, they pay their workers almost nothing, then they pay NO taxes to import, they are ahead before their products even get to the stores. Unions coupled with crooked fatcat politicians and old treaties have been the demise of the american economy. Unions are the reason janitors are making $25/hr, politicians are taking kickbacks to keep the old treaties in place, and we as americans allow this to go on. Not necessarily us, but people in general. We as americans shouldn't be afraid of the damned politicians, they should be afraid of US!!!!!!!!!! Just my .02 and a side no one had mentioned...

:cheer: eh?

+1 eh?

heheheheheheeee

The taxes that are paid are to be paid by the end user when they buy that said product by the way of sales tax in the state they are sold in. If a foreign product is brought into Canada and then to the US and it hasn't been assembled or worked on in Canada it is subject to duties in the US, it is also subject to duties when it enters into Canada, so nothing is tax free.

As for oil prices take a look at what you drive! If it is a gas hog and you have to commute more than 10 or 15 minutes to work then shouldn't you do your share and down size or car pool? The US imports 1 million barrels a day from Canada. My truck has a V8, it is 7 years old and I don't have 60,000 miles on it yet. I use the family mini van as it get better mpg's (trying to save on fuel)

Hey Cisco are you from Canada? eh? (I thought us northern hosers were the only ones that used that - eh!) :greenchainsaw: :cheers:

That was good, lmao... I'm lucky enough to drive a company truck, little ford ranger 6cyl.

How Wal-fart gets around it, they import to Canada, products are assembled in Canada, then brought to US. Hence, Canada gives them a break for having stuff that is assembled there, then NAFTA kicks in and they ship it here to the states. I've only seen it done with their furniture, but 13 or 14 truckloads of furniture at a time adds up, and that's just at one border here, where I worked. Most of the stuff was built in China, but assembled in Mexico or Canada, hence being subject to the export guidelines of NAFTA. It's sad, but when I was working as customs broker I saw alot of things like that...

:popcorn:

The "eh?" is because I live about 20 min from Canada and everyone around here says it... heheheheheeh

So you know, I love Canada, lol...

If you are buying a 'used' Stihl chainsaw; look at the serial number. If it begins with a 1, its made in Germany, if it begins with a 2 its made in the US, and I saw one once that was made in Brazil. The first number tells you the country of origin. I have a Stihl 38AV Mag at the moment, that says on the crankcase, "Made in West Germany" and the serial number in this case begins with 11....

China

If you are buying a 'used' Stihl chainsaw; look at the serial number. If it begins with a 1, its made in Germany, if it begins with a 2 its made in the US, and I saw one once that was made in Brazil. The first number tells you the country of origin. I have a Stihl 38AV Mag at the moment, that says on the crankcase, "Made in West Germany" and the serial number in this case begins with 11....

What number is on the chinese made??? Stihl has had a Chinese MFG. plant for approx. 3 yrs now...

:confused: :popcorn:

Well,this thread has gotton very educational.I don't think I ever started a thread that went this far,on any forum I ever participatied in.. To the Lawnmower Guy who asked about my screen name,Yes I am a Firefighter/Paramedic.I used to volly,but have to pay for a family now..:)...As far as the chainsaws go,I have a Homelite XL-12 from the 60's that I rebuilt.It has that stright "Muffler" on it and boy can it cut,and make some noise..:dizzy: ...I think the old Homelites were just amazing saws,but it is getting harder to find parts for them and I would like to keep it for years to come.So I decided I wanted a new toy,and figured I would get something brand new...As far as this whole economy thing,I am not going to lie and say I know what I am talking about,because I don't study the government and our economy like I should,but I will tell you this..If I buy a STIHL saw,I am going to get a well made product,and maybe keep an american working and providing for their family.Maybe this person is a Forum member,maybe even family of one.Point is I am trying to do my part in keeping an American in a Job that I am sure they work hard to keep.A very elementary view on all this,but a damn good view nonetheless.God Bless America,and thank you to all who responded in this thread,I have learned a lot....:cheers: .....:greenchainsaw:

The "eh?" is because I live about 20 min from Canada and everyone around here says it... heheheheheeh

So you know, I love Canada, lol...

Whats a confedarate battle flag doing that far north, that chick looks southern too?

Later,

south

Whats a confedarate battle flag doing that far north, that chick looks southern too?

Later,

I lived down south for about 20yrs. I love the south dude. My wife is my cousin, so I guess I fit right in down south for sure now don't I??? lmao...

hehehehehehehehehe

:cheers:

She is perty though eh?

Note to self-Rep cisco for hooking up with cute cousin and then agin for telling it

Don't forget ,when you buy a forign product like toyota instead of a ford.Your money goes over seas instead of in our economy.I now they have plants here,but it all about where the money ends up.That's why the euro is kicking our but right now.When china takes hold we will really be in troble:dizzy:

Newsflash! They've taken hold. :cry:

Well,this thread has gotton very educational.I don't think I ever started a thread that went this far,on any forum I ever participatied in.. To the Lawnmower Guy who asked about my screen name,Yes I am a Firefighter/Paramedic.I used to volly,but have to pay for a family now..:)...As far as the chainsaws go,I have a Homelite XL-12 from the 60's that I rebuilt.It has that stright "Muffler" on it and boy can it cut,and make some noise..:dizzy: ...I think the old Homelites were just amazing saws,but it is getting harder to find parts for them and I would like to keep it for years to come.So I decided I wanted a new toy,and figured I would get something brand new...As far as this whole economy thing,I am not going to lie and say I know what I am talking about,because I don't study the government and our economy like I should,but I will tell you this..If I buy a STIHL saw,I am going to get a well made product,and maybe keep an american working and providing for their family.Maybe this person is a Forum member,maybe even family of one.Point is I am trying to do my part in keeping an American in a Job that I am sure they work hard to keep.A very elementary view on all this,but a damn good view nonetheless.God Bless America,and thank you to all who responded in this thread,I have learned a lot....:cheers: .....:greenchainsaw:

I think you picked a good brand there:) Stihl saws are easy to find parts for.That's why i'm sticking with them.I like huskys to ,but if the person that's selling it doesn't carry parts,like lowes,i won't buy one.At least the dealer that sells you a stihl will back it up with parts.:clap: That's more than i can say for husky now.

Everyone is forgetting one thing, (thats right this thread got way off base, however it has some good responses) at one time the U.S.A. was totally self sufficient, Oil, Crops, Meat based food products, defense, etc. thats what made it such a great independent place for everyone to live: Today, we outsource everything! It will take a major downfall, both financially and in reputation, to get the public to stand up for themselves and demand what this country was built on: INDEPENDENCE!! We are already starting to loose the reputation and the financial status that we once touted as the the best in the world. This country is in such a downward spiral due to the politicians, media, and oil traders, there seems to be no end to date. I say, get back to basics, we can be totally self sufficient again, lets tap the natural resourses in Alaska, do you want to hug a tree or feed your family? Lets un-cap the gas lines that are currently capped off (with no rights owned by the landowners, most of which were sold to gas companies in the late 60's & early 70's) throughout the Northeastern states; they wouldn't still be capped if there was nothing there right? This country as a whole needs to look at where we came from and get back to it before its too late! I know I'm not the only one with this opinion, so lets see some feedback.......

I totally agree with you.We need to be less dependant on forign goods.I have nothing against china or any other coutry.I do have something agains'tthe traitors in this country that support shipping our jobs over seas.And that includes the politions whom are the ones responsible.I've made my living already,as i'm retired,but what is going to happen to the future generations? Where is your grandson going to work? What will he have to look forward to? The very people we put in power are distroying our kids future by allowing other countrys to distroy our economy.They should all be hung:chainsaw:

Back