An ode to my dad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davej_07

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My father taught me so much in life. I learned mechanics while holding the flashlight at age 5. I learned farming and hunting at age 10. When I was a hockey player he taught me that it's ok to lose if you gave it everything you had to give, and to always learn something from the loss. He has taught me so much about how to be the man that I have become........with that in mind, how do you tell the man that has shaped your life to PLEASE STOP SPLITTING THE FIREWOOD SO F/@king SMALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, he loves to split firewood and he is a great help. He has a smaller Drolet stove and he and my mom like to feed it smaller splits throughout the day. I came home from work today to find that he had split almost a cord of maple and ash today.......but good Lord if it's 3"diameter it doesn't need to be split into quarters......I have plenty of kindling dad!! Lol

Rant over:)

Love you, man,
Dave

My Dad used to help me split wood once in awhile. He would run the splitter valve while I put the pieces in, every once in awhile he would be a little quick on the lever and get too close to my fingers for my liking. So once in awhile I would "drop" a split near or on his toes. That usually reminded him how dangerous the splitter can be. Now he has full blown Alzheimers and I wish he would still be able to run the splitter valve. I only visit him once in awhile because I just can't take how the man who could do anything by himself his whole life needs someone to help him do every single little thing. Also he and I look very very much alike, I see myself in him all the time, my body is starting to ache, my memory is slipping, my eye sight is going, hearing is bad. All of these were just like my Dad.
Let him split that wood and tell him a little smaller wouldn't hurt. Reverse psychology?

My father taught me so much in life. I learned mechanics while holding the flashlight at age 5. I learned farming and hunting at age 10. When I was a hockey player he taught me that it's ok to lose if you gave it everything you had to give, and to always learn something from the loss. He has taught me so much about how to be the man that I have become........with that in mind, how do you tell the man that has shaped your life to PLEASE STOP SPLITTING THE FIREWOOD SO F/@king SMALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, he loves to split firewood and he is a great help. He has a smaller Drolet stove and he and my mom like to feed it smaller splits throughout the day. I came home from work today to find that he had split almost a cord of maple and ash today.......but good Lord if it's 3"diameter it doesn't need to be split into quarters......I have plenty of kindling dad!! Lol

Rant over:)

Love you, man,
Dave
Dave if that's the worst thing he does. Next time you see him give him a great big hug. Tell him you love:heart: him and say Pops keep splitting there's plenty more where that came from.:givebeer:

It was a rant but at the same time I cherish every second I have I him.....my older brother doesn't see my parents at all and I know that one day he will regret that. Making firewood has brought us closer and I'm thankful for it. One day I'll look back and say,"damn, if dad wer here I wouldn't need to chop kindling":)

It was a rant but at the same time I cherish every second I have I him.....my older brother doesn't see my parents at all and I know that one day he will regret that. Making firewood has brought us closer and I'm thankful for it. One day I'll look back and say,"damn, if dad wer here I wouldn't need to chop kindling":)
Well said Dave:rock2:. Have a great weekend.:givebeer:

You're a good son. I hope someday my boy will grow and write soemthing like what you've posted. Enjoy your Dad, put up with his quirks. I've got a hunch he loves you very much.

Enjoy your father...they don't last forever, as we start creeping into older age. Trust me, I know. His quirks are what they are, deal with it and show a little patience. My daddy was the classic 'right way, wrong way...his way'...and his way ruled with absolute power. I'm the youngest of 11 children in my family, no step-nothing. After 6 brothers and 4 older sisters, I got it a little rough from the patience standpoint. All I remember was leather belts from my old man, and fly swatters from my momma. The fly swatters always seemed to be worse than the belt actually. The leather fly swatters had a certain 'whip' to 'em. Even the plastic ones were hellacious. Love your dad, let him do his thing...its simply what dads do. I'm a dad, 24 yr old son, 17 yr old daughter...they pick my quirks out all day long. It's just a dad thing. If yours dad's happy, roll with punches. Again, trust me...it won't last forever and then you kick yourself in the ass...about missed opportunities. Let him do his thing. He knows best when it comes down to it...he grew up in a different time...he raised you to be a decent man. Can't ask for much more.

If you have your dad around when you are in your 20's and later you are blessed. My dad lived 600 miles from me for 30 years before he passed. We only got together mayber once a year and he had to spend time with other family members. If you have your dad close, cherish the time you have together.
Spot on post. Nuthin else to add to that.

"Hey, Pa. Thanks for splitting the wood. Remember to split them in larger pieces. Burns longer that way."

Seems pretty easy to me. If he's half the man you think he is, he isn't going to get all offended by it.
Disagree...let the ol man do his thing. It makes him happy...to hell with throwing a curve ball now. Let it be, for what it is. You don't walk in the sons' shoes. Like your silly ass comments a lot 'Stache, but I disagree with this one. Just sayin.

any good deed never goes unpunished. Gotta give the ol' guy a break, he did what he thought was right. I agree with trying to gently correct the situation "every stove is different, and mine likes them larger". My Father passed away earlier this year, and we did have some good times cutting, splitting, etc. :rolleyes:

Disagree...let the ol man do his thing. It makes him happy...to hell with throwing a curve ball now. Let it be, for what it is. You don't walk in the sons' shoes. Like your silly ass comments a lot 'Stache, but I disagree with this one. Just sayin.

If he wants his firewood larger, what's wrong with asking dad to split them larger? There's no need for anyone to get offended by anything. Dad wants HIS wood smaller, son wants HIS wood larger - "please and thank you" is all it takes.

I helped my dad rebuild his deck - he got angry about a few things I was doing (up to code, of course) so I did it however he wanted, even though I explained about code. When it came time to do MY deck, he got angry about the way I did it, but I told him he could do his deck his way, and I'll do my deck my way. Simple as that.

The last time my Dad split firewood for us he was in his mid to late 70's. My wife was joking with him and said" I'm gonna have to get on your son, we're out of firewood." I had 2 or 3 cord of seasoned Oak in the wood shed, just none on the front porch. A couple days later he called and said, "Hey Kid, come on down, I got some firewood for you". He used to call her Kid. So, now all embarrassed because she had been joking, she had to take her Tahoe down and fill it up and bring it home. Then Saturday I had to go get the rest. Then she gets on me saying she likes my Dad's firewood better than mine. I'm like, "what's the difference, we both get it from the woods behind his house"? She said, "Yeah, but he takes a hatchet and chops all of the bark off, then takes each piece and sweeps it off with a whisk broom before stacking, no dirt or bugs"! I said, "Dirt and bugs burn just fine"! Dad passed away in 2004 and I still miss him. I'm retiring in 2 months, maybe I'll start sweeping each piece of wood off? Ain't no way! Dirt and bugs burn just fine, Joe.

Back