anchor SRT, two branches aren't always better than one.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We know that putting your anchor at the base of the tree or nearby tree doubles the force on the supporting branch (my 200 pounds becomes 400 pounds hanging from the branch) and that securing the rope to the supporting branch with a bowline or alpine butterfly does not, but what about when you catch two nearby branches with with your single rope?
I gave this some thought the other day as I captured two close branches, one just above the other, and sent my alpine butterfly up the rope to secure my climbing anchor. Although both branches are at the top of my climbing system, I have subjected the upper branch to the same force as if I secured my line to the base of the tree. So, what appears to be a back-up branch, is really a detriment.
Just thinking and sharing this thought.

We know that putting your anchor at the base of the tree or nearby tree doubles the force on the supporting branch (my 200 pounds becomes 400 pounds hanging from the branch) and that securing the rope to the supporting branch with a bowline or alpine butterfly does not, but what about when you catch two nearby branches with with your single rope?
I gave this some thought the other day as I captured two close branches, one just above the other, and sent my alpine butterfly up the rope to secure my climbing anchor. Although both branches are at the top of my climbing system, I have subjected the upper branch to the same force as if I secured my line to the base of the tree. So, what appears to be a back-up branch, is really a detriment.
Just thinking and sharing this thought.

That would be true, if you secured your line to the lower branch, then placed your line across the upper branch.

It wouldn't make any sense to do that, for the reason you pointed out, plus it would take more time to set up than simply tying into a single branch.

That would be true, if you secured your line to the lower branch, then placed your line across the upper branch.

I am pointing out that if you are wrapped around BOTH branches and not just secured to the lower branch and then passed over the upper branch as you point out, (that would be a different situation). In other words, if you think you have wrapped your line AROUND two or more branches for increased security, you have actually doubled the force on the upper branch.

Photos

I am pointing out that if you are wrapped around BOTH branches and not just secured to the lower branch and then passed over the upper branch as you point out, (that would be a different situation). In other words, if you think you have wrapped your line AROUND two or more branches for increased security, you have actually doubled the force on the upper branch.

View attachment 253339
attachment.php

View attachment 253340
attachment.php

View attachment 253341
attachment.php

Now I see what you mean. I can see how a new climber might think he was safer tying in that way.

I sometimes have to spend a bit of time running my throw bag up and down trying to isolate the top branch, not so much for strength reasons, but because I want to be able to climb all the way to my TIP.

BTW; How did you get those branches to stick to the wall like that?

Latest posts

Back