Another 038av super magnum 2 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I'm sure this has been covered in other threads BUT! What is a good compression for this saw? And what is the proper procedure for doing a compression check? The way I've always done it on saws is 1. Wot 2.check compression on first pull 3.continue pulling until the needle stops moving. Is this correct?
Plus one more thing. Since I'm basically going through this entire saw. Would anyone recommend porting the cylinder? I already plan on doing a mm. Thanks.
Edit:
Also what's the "squish" I always read about?
150 and up is good. WOT and pull the cord till the needle stops climbing. An 038 mag is a pretty stout saw stock, I think before I spent a bunch of money getting it ported, I'd try it first and see how you like it.

Squish is the clearance between the cylinder 'head' and the piston at TDC.

Has anyone had experience with the replacement tanks off of amazon? I can't find a good used tank on Craigslist or ebay. Yet...

So I finally got the damn thing to the house! The cylinder looks good! The only thing it's missing is the rear handle/fuel tank! Are the ones off of amazon or baileys worth it? Or would I be better off buying new? I got the saw for free keep in mind. My boss thought it would be cheaper to buy new rather than fix it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 20
Plus I found after the tear down the intake boot was only held on by a thread. And the carb is the original bing carb.

What solder do you use for checking the squish? I ended up getting a 038 mag for $100 so I guess now I have a parts saw with a broken tank! Lol!

Plenty of good used OEM parts, use those before Chi-com crap. You might have to clean them.

For rubber/seals best is new OEM in my opinion.

You don't have a supply of solder! Use the thin stuff for wiring rather than the thick stuff for plumbing.

Has anyone had experience with the replacement tanks off of amazon? I can't find a good used tank on Craigslist or ebay. Yet...
I have a lot of experience bla bla on eBay by Hutlz and they worked perfect for me.

image.png
I know it's not huztl but u can't beet the price.

I got mine all put together. I found a 038 mag for 100 so I'm using the broken one as a parts saw now. The $100 saw runs good. 160psi wot. The only thing I did was replace a bar but and put a 28" bar with full skip on it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    700.9 KB · Views: 13
Plenty of good used OEM parts, use those before Chi-com crap. You might have to clean them.

For rubber/seals best is new OEM in my opinion.

You don't have a supply of solder! Use the thin stuff for wiring rather than the thick stuff for plumbing.
I have plenty of solder! Who doesn't have rolls of the stuff just lying around?

I got mine all put together. I found a 038 mag for 100 so I'm using the broken one as a parts saw now. The $100 saw runs good. 160psi wot. The only thing I did was replace a bar but and put a 28" bar with full skip on it.
Nice

Latest posts

Back