Another dumb neighbour

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My neighbour down the road has an indoor wood stove that he uses to supplement his propane. Every year he puls the same stupid stunt.
He buys a load of logs about 8" to 20" diameter x 8 to 20' long logs dumped at the end of his driveway, he lives on a 3 acre rural lot. Maybe 5 full cord. Likely $600 or around there.
Then he spends a cool 2 nights cutting it all into 16" long rounds using the one chainsaw he has.
Then he borrows a neighbours tractor and vertical splitter he splits it all. Then uses the loader to haul it all to his basement where he stores it inside ( logs are several years old) .
He then cleans up the sawdust and you can hardly tell it was there.
Talk about taking the fun out of firewood. What a dumb azz. Can you imagine, 1 chainsaw and a borrowed splitter and tractor? Now he has to spend the whole summer on his wife's hunnie do list.

We all don't have all the toys you have!!

I'm slowly catching up to you. Haha

My neighbour down the road has an indoor wood stove that he uses to supplement his propane. Every year he puls the same stupid stunt.
He buys a load of logs about 8" to 20" diameter x 8 to 20' long logs dumped at the end of his driveway, he lives on a 3 acre rural lot. Maybe 5 full cord. Likely $600 or around there.
Then he spends a cool 2 nights cutting it all into 16" long rounds using the one chainsaw he has.
Then he borrows a neighbours tractor and vertical splitter he splits it all. Then uses the loader to haul it all to his basement where he stores it inside ( logs are several years old) .
Talk about taking the fun out of firewood. What a dumb azz. Can you imagine, 1 chainsaw and a borrowed splitter and tractor? Now he has to spend the whole summer on his wife's hunnie do list.
That makes no sense at all.
It like the guy considers it work and wants to get it done as quickly as possible.

Not only is cutting and splitting enjoyable, it's also the perfect excuse when the wife has some jackleg place she wants you to go.
Seems like a win/win to me.

Poor Guy. He is missing out on all the quality time with his Wife helping.
Not just the sawing, splitting and piling but the felling of the trees, (my part), the dragging of the winch line and setting the chokers (my Wife's part), dragging the trees to the landing (my part), the cutting to length(my part), the loading, the splitting and piling (our part). We have to work to stay warm.
A Great Wife, we work together and Keep the $600.00.

brenndatomu, I may have been a little creative on the basement thing. I just remembered he has a walkout off the front and maybe he stacks it outside under the deck which is 8' off the ground. Also the logs all look like standing dead so not real sure.
My wife had a list of stuff for me to do today, I spent it in the bush. Now that is smart planning right there. I did get the lawn sprayer all rigged up though while she cut the lawn. It takes 4 hours to cut all our lawn using a 60" Bobcat ztr.
IMG_20150518_190431.jpg

I also agree that logs don't dry in length but these were cut this morning and hauled out today. Ash starting to leaf out.
Look at those cracks already. Even the bark was splitting off.
Oh yeah, maybe we should grease the bar sprocket. This was on my 260, never seen one do this before. Broke into 2 pieces, glad they stayed jammed in the bar, might have been messy.
IMG_20150518_190022.jpg IMG_20150518_190023.jpg IMG_20150518_190027.jpg IMG_20150518_190040.jpg IMG_20150518_190452.jpg IMG_20150518_191524.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

But think, if he did round 2 the same way, he could sell cords and get his 600 bucks back, maybe even chip in a c note to the neighbor he borrows tools from!

Since when does Bobcat make a ZTR mower ? No info on their website that I found.

:( I only have one saw...
:( I don't have a loader...
:( I don't even have a vertical splitter...
:( I fill my basement with firewood...
:( I don't make firewood in the summer...
:( I'm worried 'bout how you guys talk 'bout me when my back is turned...
that "one" saw,, may change in the future..............:D

that "one" saw,, may change in the future..............:D
The truth is, it's gonna' change tomorrow, UPS is scheduled to deliver an "el-cheap-o" Remington 25cc pole saw I ordered from Home Depot. I had some gift cards collected (fathers day/birthday gifts from my kids) so it was only $55 out'a pocket for the $179 saw. Yeah, it's 'bout as "homeowner" as homeowner grade gets, but I'm only lookin' to trim a few of my own yard trees once or twice a year... spending $500 or more made no sense in my mind.

B'sides... I had to do something with the gift cards, a couple of 'em were almost two years old. I'm not even sure why the kids get Home Depot cards... I never shop there, don't even remember when the last time I was in one?? Likely it's because they can pick 'em up at the grocery store or some such. So anyway... by tomorrow night I should be able to claim I only have two saws... and who knows where it's gonna' go from there?? :D

The truth is, it's gonna' change tomorrow, UPS is scheduled to deliver an "el-cheap-o" Remington 25cc pole saw I ordered from Home Depot. I had some gift cards collected (fathers day/birthday gifts from my kids) so it was only $55 out'a pocket for the $179 saw. Yeah, it's 'bout as "homeowner" as homeowner grade gets, but I'm only lookin' to trim a few of my own yard trees once or twice a year... spending $500 or more made no sense in my mind.

B'sides... I had to do something with the gift cards, a couple of 'em were almost two years old. I'm not even sure why the kids get Home Depot cards... I never shop there, don't even remember when the last time I was in one?? Likely it's because they can pick 'em up at the grocery store or some such. So anyway... by tomorrow night I should be able to claim I only have two saws... and who knows where it's gonna' go from there?? :D
:D:D:D

Funny you posted this. I have been watching around for a pole saw cause I don't want to spend the cash to only use a couple times a year. The other day, I was flipping through our local box store flyer and saw an electric pole saw in there on sale for 100 bucks. I thought about buying one as I figure it's better than spending big bucks. Been trying to talk myself into it the last couple days. Maybe I can pull the trigger now. Ya know what they say.... Misery loves company!

Ya know what they say.... Misery loves company!
Tell ya' what, wait for a few days.
It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow and I'm sure I'll play with it a little this weekend... likely pop the plastic off and have a look at what's underneath. I'll post a first impression/initial review (and likely highly opinionated) new thread right here in firewood... maybe include some pictures and whatnot.
Then make your decision after the Memorial Day Holiday... fair enough??

Maybe the thing is complete junk and I wouldn't wish it on anybody except slowp :D
Just kiddin' girl... in all seriousness I wouldn't wish ill on any member here.

Back