Another Fatality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Setting chokers and carriage dropped. Sad...

Logging accident claims Winlock teen
Wednesday, May 21, 2014 at 6:54 pm
By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter
A Winlock teenager working in the woods with his father and a small crew was killed this morning when he was crushed by a piece of logging equipment south of Boistfort.
Aid and deputies were called about 11:42 a.m. to the scene, about 14 miles off Pe Ell McDonald Road, on property owned by Green Diamond Resource Co.
The sheriff’s office said the 18-year-old was setting chokers for a logging operation when a carriage was accidentally lowered onto him, killing him instantly.
“When Fire District 13 showed up, there was nothing we could do,” Lewis County Fire District 13 Assistant Chief Rick Eades said.
Eades described the carriage as a metal piece probably six feet long and not very wide that travels along a cable to assist in retrieving logs. He estimated it weighed two tons.
The terrain was very steep where they were working, Eades said.
Lewis County Coroner Warren McLeod identified the young man as Cole Bostwick.
It happened on the 4700 Line, according to the Lewis County Sheriff’s Office.
He was working for ENB Logging and Trucking, according to Chief Civil Deputy Stacy Brown.
The state Department of Labor and Industries was notified and presumably will be conducting an investigation.
It’s the fourth logging death in Lewis County this year.
In mid-January, 63-year-old Alex Oberg, of Toledo, was killed while cutting timber alone in the Toledo area. The sheriff’s office said a tree fell onto Oberg as he was employing a “domino” tree falling technique.
A month later, 21-year-old Tyler Bryan, also from Toledo, was working north of Morton when – according to the initial information from the sheriff’s office – a log being pulled up a slope by a cable began spinning and struck him.
Then in March, John B. Leonard, 69, died after he was struck by a long limb while logging in Salkum.

Dang it.............too many folks...............I see the original post was awhile back but it sounds like the first young man was hit by a shotgun carriage if it were lowered to him, all I can say is stay the heck back from stuff until all jiggles are out of the lines and timber it's lowered to. No log is worth a life. I don't know specifics, maybe he was clear of it and it was still his time no matter what. Stay out of the bite and I don't mean just the logs choked in the turn, get out a couple stick lengths and 45 degree to the turn and yarder so everything is in periferal view. Easy to say I understand it's different conditions very much in a unit but I hate to see anyone not go home

Back