Another hot DHT 35 ton? Ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

struggle

Got stumps?
Reaction score
I bought a DHT 35 ton splitter the other day new. After running it four a couple of hours I found the cylinder is so hot to the touch it would almost burn your hand. I cant keep my hand on the cylinder it is so hot.

I know it has a small tank so I'm wanting to add a cooler to it. My question is how best might this be done? Since the return line is 1" finding a cooler that has 1" capability seem far and near from my searching. Was thinking maybe a bypass filter attachment then I could add an automotive style cooler on it for the warmer days. Thoughts on this if it would work.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...9JeU8s8CFYUxaQodA94A5Q&ibanner=MobileSwitchNo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Honestly this sounds pretty normal. How hot is the tank itself? If you can hold your hand on the tank for any period of time the system is well under any temp that would cause any problems.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I was wearing shorts and I couldn't leave my leg against the tank it was so hot. I was splitting very hard locust. Next time I will take a temp probe and check actual temp. I don't recall my huskie 20 ton (had it for 15 years) ever getting that hot.

My Huskee 22t gets quite hot, which is normal. Maybe you're just paying a little more attention to your new toy.[emoji4] I honestly think it's fine, if you can even think about putting your hand on the tank, it's working as it should. Enjoy your new splitter[emoji106]

Btw what size is the tank? Most splitter tanks for 16 gpm pumps are around 8 gallons. Which is theoretically too small, but these pumps are not working that hard. Remember hydraulic fluids need to be around 120°/150° to work at optimum efficiency.

Put a temp Guage to it. Non contact infrared or however.

My processor has an oil T Stat that only opens at 140*. Depending who you talk to, in the area of 120-150* is proper temp.

140* feels quite hot. Not burning, but still not comfortable either.

Putting a cooler would help, but it would need airflow, so a fan of some sort. Most stator type charging systems are 10-12 amps at best, so a regular fan would drain the battery.

I'm pretty sure the tank is really no bigger than the 22 ton has. Fluid was way hotter than 120 for sure. I would guess the tank is not much more the 6-7 gallons. Every cycle a lot of fluid is mo I g with a 5" cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

140℉ can feel pretty warm. If the tank is nice thin you can get away with less volume. Again you're more than likely fine, but a temp reading wouldn't hurt. I thought my splitter was running too hot in the summer and was considering a cooler of some sort, 10 years and a few hundred cord later and it's running like the day I bought it.

My take on the temperature issues w/ my 35T is... that the inlet & outlet are to close together & the same oil is being recycled thru the system .. not having x-ray vision
to know if there is a inside cross flow tube/
pipe to transfer/circulate to the long side of the tank. (which in manufacturing would be a
very minimal added cost...as would welding in a threaded fitting w/plug)
Which a retro fit for longer durations of
run time.... by the addition or option of a 3-way valve that that once reaching operating temps could be turned to achieve a more equal flow thru the axle tank. Make sense?
Summertime running a 30" bucket on a 580K loading out of the pit ...one could
fry an egg on the cylinders....warm & hotter can be good to the point of cooking
the moisture out of the system...

.............. on edit
The tank measurements > < are 4"W X 6.5 H X 36" L
4.o3 gallons....the inlet & outlet are 4.25"
& 8.75" from one end.

I would try add a tank. I used a 5-6 gallon air compressor tank for my reservoir on my home built splitter. Works ok and can hold my hand on cylinder anytime.

Before you start spending money on a tool you just bought, take a temp reading, my guess is it's fine. I think some are worrying too much, the tanks get really warm the cylinders get hot. This is completely normal. Just going by feel isn't really adequate here. In fact the paint on my splitter cylinder has faded some from the heat.

I'm going to borrow an IR reader next time I split and check the temp before doing anything. My thought if it is actually high is one could add a cooler to it with 3/4 not fittings on the return line from the valve easier than adding an extra tank.

Pretty certain you never been any equipment!! Made my living with skidsteers and such and would never begin to try to touch a hydraulic cylinder, and they even have coolers ans still seen em smoke when some oil would get on a cylinder! Touchy feeley and really hot are two really different things!!!!!!!!!Gosh some people mind screw small stuff to death!!!!!!

I always thought my splitter was running way to hot in Summer temps. When checked with a IR it was only 135 degrees max and I checked it in numerous spots. Surprisingly the tank was much cooler at the bottom rather than the top so it must have something with the way the fluid flows through it. The hydro on my JD SCUT runs much hotter than that.

Yeah 175*- 200* oil ain't nothing pretty you couldn't never run a spliter hard enough to burn it up unless you just held it against the detent or just held the valve and hoped it would split a stuborn piece. Just normal use ain't going to hurt it!!!!

Assuming the oil level in the reservoir is correct.

Couple thoughts,

1- As suggested get an actual temp reading and find out what you're actually dealing with.

2- Make a poor man's heat exchanger. Get a bucket of water and some old towels / rags and cover the tank. As the water evaporates it takes a lot of the heat with it. Towels dry, stick them back in the bucket and repeat. This simple procedure was a lifesaver when running winches under heavy loads on hot days and the cooler couldn't keep up.

Take Care

I agree with the guys who say your problem is capacity. I built my own splitter and made a huge tank so I wouldn't have any cooling issues. My cylinder gets so hot I can hardly hold my hand on it. My loader tractor cylinders get hotter though and they are fine. When I first start splitting the cylinder seems slow, once it gets heated up the splitter works really good. The 1st 1/2 hour in the winter and it hardly seems to move.

Latest posts

Back