ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Another sawbuck for limbs

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by turnkey4099, Jan 24, 2009.

1. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

I built the original 20 years ago and used it for the small stuff off of Willow. Then decided that the 'small stuff' in Willow wasn't worth the effort.

Working Locust, even the small stuff is worth working but I hate cutting it and then having to bend over to pick up those small pieces in the field. Decided to rebuild the saw buck today.

Loaded up:

[​IMG]

Twisted, crooked, etc. doesn't matter just fill it up and they stay. I have the frames set for 16" (8" sticks out on right)

Cut:

[​IMG]

The limbs _usually_ stay stable while being cut. The last cut on left is best done before the next to last one is made. Calls for a sharp chain and caution as I have had the top limb roll up and over the upright.

Nice to have the chunks stay right there (mostly) for easy picking up to be moved to the pile.

Detail:

[​IMG]

1/4 X 2 1/2" lag bolts. Inside width is 14" designed for using 20" bar. The 2x6s are sacrificial as eventually they get eaten out due to letting the saw drop finishing the cuts. My old one was due for a replacement when I bagged it.

When finished just fold up and hang somewhere out of the way:

[​IMG]

Comments:

Iron and chainsaws don't mix but you have 8" on each side. I only nicked one once when moving the saw from the last cut over to begin the next one and even then the chain was just barely moving.

The uprights could be another 6" or foot longer.

I'm missing 2 frames on the left - must have used them for something else.

I may redo it by using 1/4 or 3/8" x 1 1/2 flat bar stock on the bottom for the links and wood uprights. That gives a problem on how to hold the limbs up to give the saw room below them before hitting the 2x6 - haven't figured that out yet and still make it foldable.

Lot nicer and quicker working 6 to 8" and under stuff this way vice doing it in the field.

Harry K

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    Philbert, cjcocn and Metals406 like this.
  2. thejdman04

thejdman04 Addicted to ArboristSite

Nice job

3. thombat4

thombat4 AboristSite Guru

Nice work...!

It's nice to see how innovative folks can be!:clap:

4. aandabooks

aandabooks Addicted to ArboristSite

Very nice. Think I just figured out what I'm going to do with the old bed frame I've got in storage the past decade.

5. Joshlaugh

Joshlaugh ArboristSite Operative

Pretty neat, I have been meaning to build me something like that for a few years.

6. blackoak

blackoak Addicted to ArboristSite

I rigged something similar to that and the kid I had helping me on the first cut, cut right through the stand. He was getting into his work I guess, or stupid.

7. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Another note:

To make it foldable the lag bolt holes have to be exactly the same distance apart. I did it by drilling one and using it as a template to drill through for the others.

Harry K

8. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Very slow day here so I played around and built a crude model of one made all of wood:

[​IMG]

Parts marked "A" are needed to keep the bottom layer of limbs up off the frame rails. They are why I can't figure out a simple way to make it foldable.

Harry K

9. aandabooks

cjcocn likes this.
  10. FIRESMOKE

FIRESMOKE ArboristSite Member

That jig is awesome:clap: . I was looking for any easier way to cut a bunch of oak 4 x 4's. Hopefully by Saturday I'll have one fabbed up!

11. Labman

Labman AboristSite Guru

Great idea. Next time I have much small stuff, I will work something out. Even a board on the ground and posts driven in the ground.

12. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  13. aandabooks

Feel free to use the pics. The steel will be reusable down the road but the 2x6s will eventually end up in the burner. Maybe for the next one down the road, how far depends on how soon I cut through with the saw, the 2x2 idea seems good.

14. Philbert

Philbert Addicted to ArboristSite

Harry,

Nice job and thanks for sharing your idea.

As far as keeping the limbs up off of the frame rails, couldn't you weld a cross bar across each frame in your original design, say 6 inches up from the rails? This would serve the same purpose as your wooden part marked 'A' in the subsequent post.

This would make each frame more like an 'H' or an inverted letter 'A' than a 'U', but should still fold. Or you could attach a chain cradle across each frame that would conform to the shape of the branches and steady them more.

Philbert

15. Jon E

Jon E ArboristSite Operative

I built something similar last summer for my slabwood off my mill and small diameter stuff. I had an 8x12 pine beam that was kind of knotty, warped and starting to get punky, set it on it's side on some concrete blocks and then attached an old 2x6 to each side so I have a cut width of 16". I use a 20" bar to make the cut. For uprights I attached 2x4's, about 2' long, to each side, just like your wood model, Books.

It's crude but it works. It takes much longer to load it and unload it than to make the cuts.

16. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Hmmm...hadn't thought of that but changed my mind about a 2x2 under the brackets. Simpler to just bolt on a 1x4 or pieces of 1/4" x 1 1/4" FB to the angles. Not set up for welding anymore and I doubt if I could even see well enough to do it.

Harry K

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  17. FJH

FJH ArboristSite Operative

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  18. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Found a drawback to that sawbuck. I planned on getting some fun with saw yesterday cutting up the rest of my limb wood. Only had enough for two 'load-ups'. Drawback is that it goes so fast there isn't much 'fun'. Chain oil wasn't even warmed up before I was done.

[​IMG]

Still have a small pile of locust rounds to split. Will lay into them tomorrow and try it manually - I'm getting too out of shape from sitting around the past two months.

[​IMG]

Harry K

19. K7NUT

K7NUT AboristSite Guru

That is ingenious, I love it!!:clap::clap:

Necessity is the mother of invention.
    (Hey, that's pretty good and I just came up with it, feel free to use that line...)
    :biggrinbounce2:

20. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

I dunno about the necessity but beer did it for dreaming that up. ;)

Harry K