Another score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Young lady stopped by Wednesday, saw my huge wood piles, said she has been trying to get someone to take away a pile of logs - didn't know what kind but hardwood. I've been going stir crazy for 2 months now, figured, 'don't need the wood but gotta get out there behind a chain saw. Told her I'd take it and would follow her home. . 20 miles from house with last 3 on 1 lane gravel road windy tracK

walnut1_zpspepooyct.jpg

Mudhole then but rain stopped last night, ran out today to get the pic, pretty much dried up. Gonna make a try at it tomorrow with 361/20" 441/24" and 193T/14". Wish I had my old peavy to untangle that mess.

She is a comely lass and divorced living by herself. Ah were I but 40...better make that 50 years younger...

just here for the pic of the gal... recently single myself so maybe a move to Washington is in order :innocent:

my guess on the pile of wood is Black Locust

Ah well. She is very well preserved. Didn't see her today but did see her son. Minimum of 16 YOA big, husky fellow. Got some pics for the wood but will have to wait a bit to get them posted, Wood very white, pretty dense, growth rings almost invisible. I cut 1 Red Elm years ago but this isn't that. Maybe get the pictures processed tonight.

judging by the bark and you say the wood is white... im going to change my guess to silver maple as well

wood_zps1vpxrppf.jpg

Not silver maple. I have cut that before. This stuff is very hard on chains. Doesn't seem that dense but I went through 5 chains today...okay, I rocked 2 of them out by cutting to far and hitting dirt. Last chain made it through one full tank but I was riding it pretty hard on the last two cuts.

logs2_zpsxyc68ste.jpg

Stuff is bigger than it looks in the picture. 25" bar barely cleared on the last couple logs. Goign out tomorrow armed with 14, 20, 25, 28, 32" bars. Last one will only be used on a couple big chunks buried in the mess. 28" to replace the 25" when I run out of that size chains (will only have 2 tomorrow).

Pile is taller than it looks also. I can grab the lower limb of the chunk on top but can't even touch the upper one.

Yard tree? For certain. Small shingle nails drien in at random apparently and not very deep. I eve worked two of them loose with my fingers. Rocked a couiple chains hitting something I haven't found, probably nails.

Good thing I am doing this just to get some exercise!

That is some kinda Maypell. . . I'll tell you what. . . that Rock Maypell is some of.the ding-dong best wood out there. . . and that's all I gotta say about that.

I've cut red maple but it was a lot easier to process than this stuff. I set a small, about 8" diameter round on end and tried it with the Fiskars x27. 3 hits and nothign. Was gonna throw a chyunk in the car and test it on the splitter but forgot.

Not too sucessful today. Fresh sharpened chain (I sharpened 4 of the bad chains yesterday) wouldn't cut crap, probably rakers need lowere - it is just about at the end of the tooth. 25" chain I sharpened cut fine but not fast. Gonna hit Ace Hardware in the morning, buy 2 new 25" chains and have about 4 20" sharpened. I'll see if is my sharping job at fault or if that stuff is that hard to cut.

Weather says rain for the next 4 days sstarting around noon tomorrow. I'm loaded up with 4 saws this time (14, 16, 20, 25) and lots of chains. Work out thee until the rain begins then continue on the Ace Hardware in Pullman to get 2 old chains sharped and buy two new 25". Just came in from sharpening the two on the saws I used today. Get a good work session in in hte morning and I will be looking at the end of the bucking job.

I was wondering about some type of oak, the bark looks a lot like it. There is a lot of heart rot in those logs and I think that is common in oak.
Looking at the fresh end cut I agree on oak. Not sure what kind but I'd say possibly white. The color looks like bur oak which is a type of white oak. The bark is wrong for burning oak though

Off to the doctor tomorrow. I fell HARD yesterday. Total stupidity - tried to roll over a section of log using the hookeroon. First try no good, hookeroon came loose. Told myself it wouldn't work but tried again. Hard pull, hook came out, I back pedaled but not fast enough. Fell agains a 16' round that was setting upright, sharp edge caught me just below the shoulder blade. A couple hydrocods and brews got me through the rest of the day. Not too bad this morning, all loaded up and made the breakfast club, departed but just driving was difficult. Hurts to take more than a shallow breath.

Cancelled the cutting plan and went direct to Ace Hardware to buy 2 more 25' chains and have a couple of my old chains sharpened. I don't like to have mine sharped on a grinder as they come back overheated, hardened and impossible to file. Those two chains are on their last legs anyhow so I don't care.

4 days of rain starting noonish.

Back