Another score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to the doc today. Bottom line is a minor crack in one rib and a bruised lung. Tonight I can breath deep with only minor pain. This morning I could barely stand to take anything more than a shallow breath.

Weather looks promising for tomorrow but a bit breezy. If not raining at 8am I'll be back at that log pile.

looks like the sugar maple I am cutting it can be very white and the bark looks like that on the big ones

So I'm stupid. Went out again today. Back felt fairly good this morning. One hour into it I knew I should have stood in bed!...
Continued working anyhow. Problems starting saws, couldn't pull the 361 hard enough. Wound up working 3.5 hours with the old MS310 and 193T. Cut everything I couild with them and planned toquit. Picked up 361 to load it, gave one pull and it was running. Didn't really want to, but went back to cutting. Pile getting cut down to size.

As I left it today:

as%20left_zpswu0k6u7x.jpg

Bucking this monster and it neighbors isn't going to be fun as hard as they cut:

size_zpswu21oj1t.jpg

That's a 25" bar.

Gonna be a nice harvest:

piles_zpsurzcttyh.jpg

Back is still talking to me when I move :) Gonna go out again in the morning and hope to get everything done except those big logs.

Finished but didn't think to take a picture. I'm leaving the 4 huge logs. It wasn't my sharpening, that stuff cuts HARD!. I started with 2 new chains, one sharpended by the dealer and one I sharpened. 2 1/2 hours later every saw was wearing a dull chain. Brand new 25" chain lasted only 4 cuts before I was having to ride the saw. She'll have to find someone else to get rid of those or burn them where they are.

Probably start hauling on Monday if it is dry. Got rain starting again tonight.

What's that funny machinery in the background?

Remains of a pea viner. Seems that area is where a lot of old equipment was demolished. They set the pea viner on fire. There is junk in piles all over the area. So far I have found a good fork and a splitting maul just laying in the mud. The lady is tryng to find someone to do a salvage in there.

Planning to start hauling on Monday. I may have found someone who will tackle those big logs.

Finished but didn't think to take a picture. I'm leaving the 4 huge logs. It wasn't my sharpening, that stuff cuts HARD!. I started with 2 new chains, one sharpended by the dealer and one I sharpened. 2 1/2 hours later every saw was wearing a dull chain. Brand new 25" chain lasted only 4 cuts before I was having to ride the saw. She'll have to find someone else to get rid of those or burn them where they are.

Probably start hauling on Monday if it is dry. Got rain starting again tonight.

Did you use full chisel or semi? I find skip chain dulls very fast in hard dry oak too.

Did you use full chisel or semi? I find skip chain dulls very fast in hard dry oak too.

I'm changing my stable over to all skip tooth full chisel. My and my partner worked quite a bunch of oak logs (?white?/rounded point leaves) and had no problem but nothing the size of what I was cutting. Logs were clean except where they were touching the ground. I've cut lots of locust and it was nowhere near tht hard cutting.

Still plugging away every day the weather is dry enough. With the rain we have been getting (set a record for wettest month ever her and the month isn't over yet) it takes a dry day to get the mudhole dry enough to work then I can go cut on the next day.

Hard cutting turned out to be my bad habit. I'm used to cutting in old growth goves with a good layer of duff on the ground. Hitting dirt to free a rouind works there. Doesn't at the log pile. One touch and the chain is 'rocked'. Stuff cuts decently as long as I stay out of the dirt.

Thursday I managed to roll that monster log out of my way using the log tongs and truck.

logs%202_zpsz0ndqkwn.jpg

Then cut up and hauled everything up to the remaining pile. that was pretty well locked together.

Today I pulled the big log off that pile and cut up all the little stuff. Leaves just the two big logs and a bit of small stuff to clear.

logs4_zpsi6lzhpom.jpg

I figure a day each on the dtwo logs and probably 4 loads to finish up:

logs3_zpsouaaxhgt.jpg

Still have a problem as my wood lot has standing water everywhere. Can't get in to dump. Been splitting by backing dtruck up to the gate and splitting as I unload. Can't drop more there until I clear the pile I already split. Hoping to do that tomorrow in between rain showers.

dude, I like this thread!:clap:

Thanks. On the way to WalMart in themorning and I'll grab a pic of what's left. Weather too wet to go 'wooding' until Friday or Saturday and hope to make some bit dents in those last two logs then.

The harvest so far:

harvest_zpse3ne6nbv.jpg

The rick at the right plus the loose pile down at the end. Best spot I have for drying wood, full sun and crosswise of the prevailing wind. I hope to use it next season but it is very wet.

Good progess. Hauled another load and worked up the smaller of the two logs. Once I learned to stay out of the dirt they don't cut all that hard, harder than what I usuallywork tho (softwoods).

Start:

logs4_zpsi6lzhpom.jpg

Finish:

logs5_zpsuxau7kpq.jpg

Already have over 2 cords split as of today, figure another cord with that last log and what still remains to pick up.

Back out tomorrow, weather permitting, to finish up.

Wood yard still a mess with standing water. Some signs of drying up but slowly. Still can only back part way through gate and throw the splits on a pile. Means I will have to load it all on cart and haul to the stacking location. Rest of the pile waiting to be stacked will have to go to the the side of the yard.

Young lady stopped by Wednesday, saw my huge wood piles, said she has been trying to get someone to take away a pile of logs - didn't know what kind but hardwood. I've been going stir crazy for 2 months now, figured, 'don't need the wood but gotta get out there behind a chain saw. Told her I'd take it and would follow her home. . 20 miles from house with last 3 on 1 lane gravel road windy tracK

walnut1_zpspepooyct.jpg

Mudhole then but rain stopped last night, ran out today to get the pic, pretty much dried up. Gonna make a try at it tomorrow with 361/20" 441/24" and 193T/14". Wish I had my old peavy to untangle that mess.

She is a comely lass and divorced living by herself. Ah were I but 40...better make that 50 years younger...

You best tell the lady that owns the property that you'll need to noodle the rest of it. Mainly because that's some big wood.

I've been noodling more than ever before in my life, that stuff is HEAVY. Most was just halved. The big ones got quartered and I should have made them even smaller. Was out again this morning working in miserable conditions. Started at 8am in a stiff, cold breeze, loaded all the remaining up stuff and decided I might as well try bucking that big monster. Surprise, the 441/28" bar ate it alive! 15 minutes after starting bucking I was done...except for rolling the log to finish the cuts.

Put in one short 1/2" lag screw, chained to truck and backed up. Log shook and lag screw pulled out. Back out in the morning with a LONG lag screw.

Harvest thus far:

split%20pile_zpsatb4jlb4.jpg

split%20piles%201_zps8nw2pyto.jpg

The left side of both piles are in water as is that gap between the piles, I can cart all of that around the edges of the wood lot going to the right. did I mention that piling splits is my least favorite part about wooding?

Looking at the fresh end cut I agree on oak. Not sure what kind but I'd say possibly white. The color looks like bur oak which is a type of white oak. The bark is wrong for burning oak though
Explain please: "The bark is wrong for burning oak"

Back