Another score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is done! Cold, strong wind yesterday - to miserable to go to Tim's so worked hauling and stacking the splits across the pasture.

harvest1_zps21gzn3ts.jpg

5'6" x 25'.6"x16" = 2 cord

harvest2_zpsqhjmmaz4.jpg

4'5" x 56'9"x16" = 2.5 cord.

Good score, that is 3/4' of my next seasons firewood and I got a full month of good exercise when I would not have been able to work any place else.

Doctor's comment on the results of my 'old fogey' physical last week.

"...your recent blood tests have shown no signs of diabetes, kidney or significant liver problems. Your B12 levels are normal, Your blood counts did not show any signe of anemia or infection. On the whole, these are excellent tests for sombody your age. I recommend no changes in anything that you are doing".

Now when someone asks why I cut all that wood. "Just following Doctor's orders.":clap:

It is done! Cold, strong wind yesterday - to miserable to go to Tim's so worked hauling and stacking the splits across the pasture.

harvest1_zps21gzn3ts.jpg

5'6" x 25'.6"x16" = 2 cord

harvest2_zpsqhjmmaz4.jpg

4'5" x 56'9"x16" = 2.5 cord.

Good score, that is 3/4' of my next seasons firewood and I got a full month of good exercise when I would not have been able to work any place else.

Doctor's comment on the results of my 'old fogey' physical last week.

"...your recent blood tests have shown no signs of diabetes, kidney or significant liver problems. Your B12 levels are normal, Your blood counts did not show any signe of anemia or infection. On the whole, these are excellent tests for sombody your age. I recommend no changes in anything that you are doing".

Now when someone asks why I cut all that wood. "Just following Doctor's orders.":clap:
wow i read all three pages of this thread i never did see a picture of the young lady.

wow i read all three pages of this thread i never did see a picture of the young lady.

I only met her twice. Even knowing she had to be in her mid 30s or more she still looked good. Of course being 82 my criteria may have been....ummm...?lowered? over the years.

wood_zps1vpxrppf.jpg

Not silver maple. I have cut that before. This stuff is very hard on chains. Doesn't seem that dense but I went through 5 chains today...okay, I rocked 2 of them out by cutting to far and hitting dirt. Last chain made it through one full tank but I was riding it pretty hard on the last two cuts.

logs2_zpsxyc68ste.jpg

Stuff is bigger than it looks in the picture. 25" bar barely cleared on the last couple logs. Goign out tomorrow armed with 14, 20, 25, 28, 32" bars. Last one will only be used on a couple big chunks buried in the mess. 28" to replace the 25" when I run out of that size chains (will only have 2 tomorrow).

Pile is taller than it looks also. I can grab the lower limb of the chunk on top but can't even touch the upper one.

Yard tree? For certain. Small shingle nails drien in at random apparently and not very deep. I eve worked two of them loose with my fingers. Rocked a couiple chains hitting something I haven't found, probably nails.

Good thing I am doing this just to get some exercise!
Could be White Oak. Bark doesn't look right for Maple(too thin). Could be Hickory. Looks very dense and will be good firewood.
Nice score.

Could be White Oak. Bark doesn't look right for Maple(too thin). Could be Hickory. Looks very dense and will be good firewood.
Nice score.

I am pretty certain it is oak. Soem of the splits and where I noodled some rounds idt shows that 'speckled' oak grain. Split fairly easy also.

I'm hoping to use it next season but quality oak it is not. Lots of rot and only about a third of it would grade at 'good'. Gotta be a lot better than the Willow. I burn a mix of 50% willow, 50% black locust.

Not a huge score, but got some Silver Maple for firewood from a friend that trimmed his tree after a storm.
I've burned it before and although not the greatest firewood, I'm not complaining about the price (free).
View attachment 575117

I've burned a few of those...generally I will go after any tree someone wants to get rid of provided it is not a hazard tree. Exception is cottonwood, did one, never will do another. Elm is a "maybe". I like the way it burns but splitting even with hydraulics is not fun, stringy..

My favs here are Sugar Maple, Red Oak, Hickory, Cherry, Ash.
We don't have Cottonwood here, but our 'weed' tree is called Manitoba Maple and is very light weight and doesn't burn long at all.
They are literally all over the place and grow out of control and no one wants them. I get lots of removal calls for them, but very seldom do I cut any.

My favs here are Sugar Maple, Red Oak, Hickory, Cherry, Ash.
We don't have Cottonwood here, but our 'weed' tree is called Manitoba Maple and is very light weight and doesn't burn long at all.
They are literally all over the place and grow out of control and no one wants them. I get lots of removal calls for them, but very seldom do I cut any.
Manitoba maple? Is that still another name for boxelder in your area?

Manitoba maple? Is that still another name for boxelder in your area?
LOL "Canadian birch" AKA. = aspen .... a shyster tried to pawn a pickup load of it off to me as birch for 40.00 in a fleet farm parking lot ! laughed at him and told him he didn't know his wood to well. gave him a qu8ick lesson on Minnesota tree species as to what it really was ! "$ H I T W O O D" ???? lol

Hey @turnkey4099, I've got a couple of cant hook/peavey hooks laying around. I'd love to send you one if you can put it to use. You'd have to find a decent stick for a handle and maybe fashion a spike at the end if you want it to be as peavey, but it'll be better than a pickaroon for untangling the next mess. Let me know if you want it.

Hey @turnkey4099, I've got a couple of cant hook/peavey hooks laying around. I'd love to send you one if you can put it to use. You'd have to find a decent stick for a handle and maybe fashion a spike at the end if you want it to be as peavey, but it'll be better than a pickaroon for untangling the next mess. Let me know if you want it.

Thanks but I have a fairly complete tool kit now. I thought a peavey would have been nice untangling that pile but it turned out not to be needed. My pair of tongs and gentle pull with the truck did the job.

Tried to PM you but can't figure out how to do it. Everyting seems to have changed since I last did that. Yes, I would appreciate it. I didn't need it for untangling that pile but one sure would be handy for rolling log sections over to finish the cuts.

Tried to PM you but can't figure out how to do it. Everyting seems to have changed since I last did that. Yes, I would appreciate it. I didn't need it for untangling that pile but one sure would be handy for rolling log sections over to finish the cuts.

I'll PM you and see if that works. It'd be my pleasure to send one your way. I've got a couple just collecting dust.

New one. Tree service guy called. He's removing some Black Locust in town and asked if I wanted it. I already have around 80 cords of it in my woodlot but never turn down a freebie. He should be dropping off 1 1/2 cord of it tomorrow. "from 6" on up" Sounds like a lot of limbs and such but I have a jig to cut that stuff up with.

If this keeps up I might have to start selling some of my B.L.

I'm with sledneck...my guess is hickory. Would explain the nuts and why it cut so hard. If it's hickory call your local BBQ places I bet you could get double as "smoking" wood compared to firewood.

Tree service guy says it is oak. I'll bet there isn't another person in the 'Inland Empire' with 4 cords of oak in his stash!

Picture of the black locust score tomorrow. Looks like around 2 cords all good length, not much crooked stuff in teh pile. Gonna be a feast for my MS310/16" with skip tooth chain. That old saw has BTDT for me since it was new, getting rather weak but still in the ring when the fight starts. I really should retire him.

LOL "Canadian birch" AKA. = aspen .... a shyster tried to pawn a pickup load of it off to me as birch for 40.00 in a fleet farm parking lot ! laughed at him and told him he didn't know his wood to well. gave him a qu8ick lesson on Minnesota tree species as to what it really was ! "$ H I T W O O D" ???? lol
Yes. Manitoba Maple or Box Elder Maple

Back