Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on how you define "chainsaw", "chain saw"...
A surgical "chain saw" was made and patented and used in the 1850's-1860's.
Manually-operated continuous-loop "chain saws" were made and used in the 1880's.
Steam-powered? ...some interesting old photos exist from the 1890's-1900's...
Powered by an electric motor or internal combustion engine??
1910... 1911... 1914...
Mass-produced for the timber and logging industry?
In North America: Charles V. Wolf's saw made by Reed-Prentice in the 1920's-1930's...
In Europe: Arbor, Gerber, Sector, Tapio, made in the 19-teens...
later came Rinco... Dolmar... Stihl...

A lot of US Patents were taken in the time from 1914-1920, with detailed drawings and text descriptions.

I haven't spent much time on this site, butPioneer RA 002.JPG Pioneer RA 006.JPG Pioneer RA 008.JPG Pioneer RA 014.JPG I've really enjoyed looking through the saws in this thread.
Back in the first few pages there were a couple very nice IEL RA's, so I thought I'd show one that came here to live recently.
Before I bought it, the saw had been wrapped up in oily burlap sacks sitting on a basement shelf since the '80's.
It's been run a bit, but I'm pretty sure the paint is original.
Mike

that's a nice one. got 3 here, 2 run/cut, other is complete project. rolls over, has good comp & fire...View attachment 388173
Nice! I really like the look of the '50's IEL Pioneers, great style to them. Do any of yours have the chrome emblem and IEL button on the top cover? From what I've been reading the earlier RA's had them.

Is anyone familiar with the carb primers on a Skil 1661 (PM 177)? I think I will need to replace the piece of rubber on the little aluminum disc but I'm not sure.

I'm also working on a Solo Rex (wreck) and have the engine running well. I need to find and fix a fuel leak and find an oiler block between the manual pump and the tank.

I'd like to get them both running well.

The tree cast into the muffler is a nice touch and the genuine Pioneer starter is cool too. Still I'm partial to the curves of the older models.
The HC missing most of it's paint is a good runner, it's repainted sister is still missing spark at this point.View attachment 388289 View attachment 388290
between 2 hcs I only got 1 clutch cover, too.

Did you get the 800 running? I like that saw.
think I said so in that post, but if not, yes, its is, few days after that pic... took some digging to find a loop for it... 80ga 404... 2 Rics [one member, one x member] hooked me up, thanks guys...

Don`t see a lot of these around, Wright C70 at 115.7 cc

Picturesteer%2Broast%2B2011%2B011.jpg
Picturesteer%2Broast%2B2011%2B013.jpg
Picturesteer%2Broast%2B2011%2B012.jpg
2010%2BTrip%2Bto%2BAlaska%2B1011.jpg
2010%2BTrip%2Bto%2BAlaska%2B1012.jpg
2010%2BTrip%2Bto%2BAlaska%2B1009.jpg

Carl, is the crank and rod shot? I got a decent looking C-70 tore apart right now, I'm kinda doubting it ever gets put back together. I couldn't believe how tiny and weak the crank, rods and the rest it is for being 115cc.

I have seen larger crank needle bearings in 60cc saws.

Back