Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah a lot of these Wrights had the recoil orientated like that, look close and you will see a roller mounted for the rope to roll over on.
That makes sense for versatility. At times, I prefer to start the saw while it's perched on a log with the spike dug in, in which case, the lower position is well suited. Then the roller is there for pulling up, with the saw on the ground method.

The very first few saws of those R-P 1200B's had a spark retard lever, too. But they discontinued it a month or two into the first production run in early 1947. R=P made that model from 1947-1949, then came out with the R-P 50 model. I think I see a painted-over nameplate on your saw right over the screen on the fan shroud. It should say either Reed-Prentice or Craftsman under the paint.

Got this one going the other day.. Not many of these around far as I know. A C-70GView attachment 415662 View attachment 415663

Nice lookin job. Neat to see the gear drive version. What do you think of the power? I had two one I couldn't get running and on that had good comp and I was able to get it running. I was able to tune it to sound right but it never seemed to have the snot that I thought it would. I know it's not a 2100 homelite, but I still had hoped for a bit more. A'course I am no expert on these and may have just tuned it all wrong. Did like that manual spark advance for start up though.

Back