Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who can tell me what kind of saw this is? Says Stearns Hannibal, MO. on it. Thoughts?? Year??
This chainsaw was made by the David Bradley company for the Stearns company of Hannibal, MO. DB also made the same saw badged as David Bradley, Grass Queen, and possibly other brand names.

The Stearns company, like Sears, Montgomery Ward and many other hardware and catalog sales companies, did not make their own tools and power equipment, but bought them by large-lot purchase contracts from the actual manufacturers, painted in colors chosen by the buying company and with decals and stickers specially designed for the company selling them. In collector circles, these are known as "mules" or "re-badged" saws. It is a long-time practice, going back to the Reed-Prentice chainsaws of the 1930's-1940's, prevalent throughout the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's, and very much continued today, where saws branded Homelite, McCulloch, Poulan and many other brand names are actually manufactured in factories in Asia, Europe and elsewhere owned by large multinational corporations, and not by the original McCulloch, Homelite and Poulan manufacturing companies which originated the names and made them famous.

Your Stearns saw is one of only a few known to exist today badged in that name.

2jacdv7.jpg
2 free saws today

Anyone ever here of a "bulldog" chainsaw? I found one in the "back 40" of the shop yestwrday. 1/2" chain, big aluminum or mag fuel tank.

Have a ton of old Macs, David Bradley, Wright, couple Mercurys. Couple 2 man saws, etc.

Anyone ever here of a "bulldog" chainsaw? I found one in the "back 40" of the shop yestwrday. 1/2" chain, big aluminum or mag fuel tank.

Have a ton of old Macs, David Bradley, Wright, couple Mercurys. Couple 2 man saws, etc.
What the helz man didnt take pics. Geeze. Well this site isn't posting pics anyways. Servers are powered by new homelites. Work sometimes and when it does its a lite load limit

Wright? What model??

Yes, more information is required.

Latest posts

Back