Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cliff, saws are the only thing I have ever "collected". You have such a nice assortment of pieces. Where/how do you store these? I don't say display because for me, I'm really the only one that gives a damn about my saws.

Thanks.
I keep my saws in a shed I built. Years ago I started with a shed 6ft wide 12ft long by 8ft high for my business tools.
Then it got full with collector saws so I added another 6ft x 12ft room thinking that is all I need but added on two more times. Now its packed full again. :laugh:
I built shelf's in every room. Some of the walk ways in the rooms are now packed with saws too. I have
covered up most of the saws I restored to keep the dust off them. The saws in the walk ways are not just on the wood floor. I put 2x4's across the shelf's to make temporary ones in the middle for more saws.
One room I have not seen all the saws in about five years. :laugh:

It started like this. I don't have anymore pics right now then these two.

This old Mall happened to jump in the truck today. Found it in an old barn and managed to bring it home. Don't know to much about it. Was hopeing maybe someone here would know something about it.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I'm toying with the idea of restoring it. It's all there minus the pull rope as far as I can tell. It has compression and spark so I don't see why it wouldn't run with some work.

Thanks.
I keep my saws in a shed I built. Years ago I started with a shed 6ft wide 12ft long by 8ft high for my business tools.
Then it got full with collector saws so I added another 6ft x 12ft room thinking that is all I need but added on two more times. Now its packed full again. :laugh:
I built shelf's in every room. Some of the walk ways in the rooms are now packed with saws too. I have
covered up most of the saws I restored to keep the dust off them. The saws in the walk ways are not just on the wood floor. I put 2x4's across the shelf's to make temporary ones in the middle for more saws.

Thanks for answering me Cliff. Up till the point where I really started "searching" for certain models of saws everything I bought has been for a needed use. Different variants of saws are truely the only thing that has captured my attention. Thanks for sharing your collection.

Thanks.

Looks like a nice set up! :rock2:

I have had this saw for years. I wanted to clean it up, so I did. :D

I did not take any pic of it before I started putting back together.
New bearings seals and rings.

I got the clutch put in.

The Ignition went on next.

Now the flywheel.

More put together.

Almost done with it.

Here it is done.

Wow!! What a beauty. I always enjoy your saw and saw memorabilia pics. Thanks!!

LOL.

I have a McCulloch 7-55, a Disston/Mercury KB-7AY, and a Mall 11 that all run 3/4" pitch chain. Harvester chain is .122G. The stuff on my old saws is .074G. I've thought about opening up the rails on my Disston and Mac bars to .122" so I can run harvester chain rather than messing with crusty old loops of 3/4" pitch chain (especially the scratcher stuff). That's several feet of bar grooves to open up...

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...92c184edc0653fc188256e170016642e?OpenDocument

....http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...fb8aa820553d2e7788256e170011640f?OpenDocument

howdy, i just picked up a xl12. I think. My first old homelite. My father- in-law gave it to me. He is a retired firefighter and it used to be the saw on the fire engine he drove. I have found out via serial number it is 1978 and the model number is a UT100453. It seems to be debadged and painted over with the engine company number. Trying to figure out which exact homelite model it is and the particular specs on it. Also if anyone has an original or restored paint scheme this should have. I have looked all over here and see all red and red/ black for these. Also noticed this is a manual oiler with the oil fill cap in the place where auto oiler versions are? Learning on this one. I am a stihl guy normally, but the internals on this are perfect and it runs like a top. Thanks!

SXL-AO. It's in the same family as the XL-12, but has more displacement from a bigger bore (58cc vs 54), has a four petal pyramid reed cage (instead of the single flat reed of the XL-12), and has both automatic and manual oilers (XL-12 is manual only).

Two super EZ homelites one with a bowView attachment 437817

Clean and oil up that Allis Chalmers branded Poulan, fix the starter, and put it on eBay. Those tractor collectors pay good money for the Allis branded saws.

For that one I'd use my mix of 3 parts of kerosene or diesel to 1 part ATF. Spray it down good, let it soak, and wipe/scrub it off with a rag. That'll get the dirt and grime off and clean off the white fuzz and keep it from coming back for a while. Clean the rest of the saws up too while yer at it...

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...1f30d4abc21ed3f988256b3800674844?OpenDocument

Latest posts

Back