Antique saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up this Sears, model 917.60051, gear drive, 1/2 inch chain, David Bradley made saw along with a red 3.7 craftsman last year. It came to me running poorly but had a carb kit included. After a quick cleaning, check out and carb rebuild it runs fairly decent. I used this direct drive version owned by my grandfather as a kid for cutting firewood for camp so when I saw it I had to have it. This saw is still as loud as I remember my grand paps saw was and ear plugs are mandatory these days. Pics and hopefully video attached.View attachment 495333 View attachment 495334 View attachment 495335 View attachment 495336

That is awesome, to throw chips like that and barely rev.

It throws chips better then I expected it to after looking at the pictures of the cutters on that chain with the sloped back side plates and such. Looks like it was filed with a 7/32" file instead of 1/4".

1/4" files are not that plentiful anymore, I think Chainsaw lady might still have some Oregon file guides with some 1/4" files. I got some from her before.

Have to say that old Sears motor sounds great..

After seeing that old sears throwing the chips, I had to pull out mine and see if I could produce the same results.
I cleaned up the points and have good spark.
So I pulled the carb and intake off but my 6pack reed cage was rotten. luckily I had a donor saw that the same reeds.
When I took the carb apart I noticed that a welsh plug was missing.
It turns out that the 72 5H30 has only 1 idle passage.
The donor saw has a 105 4H5. So I pulled the same welsh plug off and it has 2 passages I think one goes to the idle screw and the other one
mixes with the high side. Those carbs are the same used on most of the old 3hp Tecumseh ice augers and similar engines. I paid 8.00 for the kit and it has everything
I rebuilt the carb and its raining, sleeting and snowing now so I'll work on the chain.
20160405_121432.jpg 20160405_122731_1.jpg 20160405_122805.jpg 20160405_122828.jpg

After seeing that old sears throwing the chips, I had to pull out mine and see if I could produce the same results.
I cleaned up the points and have good spark.
So I pulled the carb and intake off but my 6pack reed cage was rotten. luckily I had a donor saw that the same reeds.
When I took the carb apart I noticed that a welsh plug was missing.
It turns out that the 72 5H30 has only 1 idle passage.
The donor saw has a 105 4H5. So I pulled the same welsh plug off and it has 2 passages I think one goes to the idle screw and the other one
mixes with the high side. Those carbs are the same used on most of the old 3hp Tecumseh ice augers and similar engines. I paid 8.00 for the kit and it has everything
I rebuilt the carb and its raining, sleeting and snowing now so I'll work on the chain.
View attachment 496550 View attachment 496551 View attachment 496552 View attachment 496553
Same carb as the jiffy ice auger tecumseh powered

what's best for manual clutch, when bein stored? iel ab is saw in question. tia.

View attachment 496675

Hi Pete,

Are you asking as to what position the clutch should be left in? I leave all of my manual clutch saws in the engaged (clutch released) position when not in use. This keeps the tension off the spring pack and increases life. It also prevents dirt/debris from settling on the clutch pack plates - not so much of a problem with the AB saw and its cork inserts.

Nice restore Dean. Show a few of your stationary Disston please.
ok this is a kb6 stationary engine that i restored i did not get the orginal pulley and i am still looking for a rewind starter these are the only two pics i have on my computer

Attachments

• kb6 engine 1.jpg
    kb6 engine 1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 47
  • kb6 engine 2.jpg
    kb6 engine 2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 48
the stationary engine i have a lot of time in had to find a lot of parts i got lucky and found the original pto side mount bracket Brian had most of the parts my girl friend does all the lettering on my saws give me a call 295 tramp i cant find your number

Just won this on eBay.
1960s SEARS MODEL D-44

The picture is from the auction, will post more when it gets to it's new home.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 21
mr. bow saw how hard is it to find a complete recoil starter for a super twin a friend of mine has one but it is missing the recoil

Back