ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Anvil repair

Discussion in 'Morbark, Inc.' started by hsecln, Sep 24, 2011.

1. hsecln

hsecln New Member

I have a 1984 morbark eager beaver disk chipper. How in the world do you get to the anvil to do any work on it. The only way I see is to get a very skinny person in the shoot.

2. Wood E. Beever

Wood E. Beever ArboristSite Member

For adjusting the anvil, you may be able to reach over top of the feed wheel. A smaller person does fit better. It is best to have a person outside that will move the anvil for the person gauging the anvil gap which should be set at .060" - .080".

If you are located in a shop environment and can raise the feel wheel up and safely secure it in the "up" position, it is more comfortable. Be sure to block the yoke, and also secure a chain from the feed wheel shaft that wraps around the discharge transition for a fail-safe. Unhooking the tension springs is also advised.

The edge of the anvil should have a good 90-degree edge. If it rounds off too far, the shearing action is impaired and can cause stringy material to pass through the discharge chute, with the possibility of plugging as a result. The option at this point is to replace with a new anvil, or apply hard-surface weld and regrind to a straight, sharp edge

Del_ likes this.
  3. hsecln

hsecln New Member

anvil removal

I am one of those stupid people that has to shown once to fully understand what I am doing. I will try your suggestion. thank you