Any camera reccomendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming your asking how to use your camera and not a camera recommendation. Without knowing what type of camera you have, it's kind of hard to give advise. Basically through, you need to control the point where the camera is focusing. Don't use 'A' or auto mode. It tries to make the whole frame in focus and gets confused easily on closeups. Use either the macro mode (usually a flower) or if the camera has the function spot metering. That will allow you to focus on a point in the center of your viewfinder.

yeah you don't need a fancy camera to take a good picture. You have to learn how to use the camera properly and master its features. Now if you want a decent investment. Grab a canon rebel and be done with it if you want a all round good camera for detailed pics thats all you need.

I had a D40x for a while, but I returned it and got the D80. The D40/D40x is just too limited in too many critical areas, IMO. I have yet to try the 18-55 VR. I had the 18-55 and 55-200 VR set with the D40x. I could not quite get my photos to pop the way I wanted, and I did not like changing lenses. The sensors in these cameras is very sensitive to dust. One lens is easier... no changing lenses, no dust, simpler system. VR is the way to go!

Personally I would (and did) pay more for the lens than the camera... and I agree on the D40x over the D40. More pixils means sharper images and easier enlarging.

My Cannon has automaitc sensor cleaning!

I don't know squat about photography, but I do know you don't have to spend a fortune to be able to take decent pictures. Most people don't have to have as high a quality as a professional photographer does to be happy.
I bought a Cannon Power Shot S3 IS, everything was under 400 bucks (a lot of money for me to spend on a camera). After scanning through the book that came with the camera I can take pic's good enough to show detail in a cylinder, or a chain tooth, or on my softer side a flower.

Flowers005.jpg

Chain012cropped2.jpg

Maybe not professional quality, but good enough for me.

Andy

You dont have to spenda lot to take good photos! You need to control the light and have an "eye" for what you are doing. Light is the main thing you need to control!

Here is my contribution to "chain" I took this photo back in 2005. This was taken with poor light (flashlight) but turned out OK.

2330763432_92958f9599_b.jpg

yeah don't worry, i know everyone's switching. If I couldn't take my time and had money to spend on it I'd go digital too. But it is a way for an amateur to produce high quality prints without investing in expensive gear (I do all my own developing/printing), and sometimes I think the tonal ranges and deep blacks are slightly stronger. But maybe I'm seeing what I want to see, and haven't looked hard enough. But damn those old Nikons are tough!

Also, what about above 11x16, I know it's not relevant here, but isn't 50 ASA equal to 50 megapixels? Then there's medium format...

Well, with digital you can set the ASA to whatever you want! Really, the leverage is quite amazing. I got some great shots of the moon during the last lunar eclipse, and the ex-gf thinks they are better than the ones they published in the paper and online. That is dim work... see photo attached below...

As for darkroom work, I have spent my last time in one of those. My father had a professional darkroom in his house when I was growing up. I think I have enough stop bath permeated into my skin for one lifetime. I also have shot gobs of film in B&W and color. I sold my last Leica film camera a while back. My Nikon insto-film camera that I was using finally died (autowinder motor fried; not worth fixing). The great thing about the D80 is that it can use most of the old Nikkor lenses.

Anyway, above 11x16 is an issue. I am sure that more pixils will arrive in wider format camera bodies. I have no need for larger formats than that though. I am working on some plant books and 8x10 is the largest size photos in them. Here is the moon shot... quickie tripod and finger pressed shutter, no retouch, just dumbed down for posting here (300 KB limit). The higher resolution has much better quality.

attachment.php

Trivia

The old regular 35 mm film is regarded to be 8 1/2 megapixel.

Digital will go beyond 25, in just a few years.

The big question for this level of detail is the consumer ready to pay for the optics to support that level of resolution.

A small side issue is how easy it is to teach a kid with digital.
No waiting for processing.
No worry about cost.
Point shoot and learn.

Not quite.

I'm assuming your asking how to use your camera and not a camera recommendation. Without knowing what type of camera you have, it's kind of hard to give advise. Basically through, you need to control the point where the camera is focusing. Don't use 'A' or auto mode. It tries to make the whole frame in focus and gets confused easily on closeups. Use either the macro mode (usually a flower) or if the camera has the function spot metering. That will allow you to focus on a point in the center of your viewfinder.

The "auto mode" on cameras adjusts the exposure for you not the focus - you can however, on many cameras, select the area of focus you prefer: center or some other point indicated by "brackets" in the frame. "Auto focus" is on ALL cameras Point and Shoot and SLR's - the difference being that the SLR lenses allow you to override or the auto focus by manually turning the focus ring on the lens.

Al:cheers:

Not that hard.

Well, with digital you can set the ASA to whatever you want! Really, the leverage is quite amazing. I got some great shots of the moon during the last lunar eclipse, and the ex-gf thinks they are better than the ones they published in the paper and online. That is dim work... see photo attached below...

As for darkroom work, I have spent my last time in one of those. My father had a professional darkroom in his house when I was growing up. I think I have enough stop bath permeated into my skin for one lifetime. I also have shot gobs of film in B&W and color. I sold my last Leica film camera a while back. My Nikon insto-film camera that I was using finally died (autowinder motor fried; not worth fixing). The great thing about the D80 is that it can use most of the old Nikkor lenses.

Anyway, above 11x16 is an issue. I am sure that more pixils will arrive in wider format camera bodies. I have no need for larger formats than that though. I am working on some plant books and 8x10 is the largest size photos in them. Here is the moon shot... quickie tripod and finger pressed shutter, no retouch, just dumbed down for posting here (300 KB limit). The higher resolution has much better quality.

With todays technology 30" x 40" prints from 12 mp cameras are not that difficult and the sharpness is astounding!! We have produced trade show banners for may of our clients that range up to 8' x 12' using a Photoshop plug-in called Genuine Fractals. They are great when viewed from 8-10 feet away!

The biggest limitation in print size is that most printers on the market are not capable of printing finer than 150-200dpi. So your 300 dpi photo that is 9" x 13" out of the camera (10mp camera) can easily print to say 16 x 20 and 18 x 26 if it is in focus and super sharp.

Wider format digital is already here with 35-45mp and up camera backs that fit many of the major medium format camera manufacturers bodies. However it's not about Pixels. 10 mp are more than adequate for most applications and will do a fine job even if you want large prints to hang on the wall. The one thing more pixels does is give you the ability to crop your image and still have enough digital info left to get a great print!

Al :cheers: :cheers:

Last edited:
That's true!

I don't know squat about photography, but I do know you don't have to spend a fortune to be able to take decent pictures. Most people don't have to have as high a quality as a professional photographer does to be happy.

Andy

It's kinda like homeowners being happy with a MS250 or Husky 455!!!
They do the job and do it well.
AL:cheers:

Here is a pic from my old cannon Powershot410. Its got a few yrs on it, but it still works great. This shot was set on auto macro setting. After all the times I used this camera I am still learning how to use it.
Bob
attachment.php

Depth of focus is the enemy... so crank up the light, and the f-stop. Use a Tripod and remote release for closeup work..

That's the best way with your current rig Mick.

You mght have a look and see if your camera has metering setting that you can change. Mine (Olympus C-3040Z) has a little flower icon for macro and a rectangle with a dot in the middle for spot metering. You can choose one or both. None the less, if you don't have macro capability, you'll only be able to get within 8-10 inches depending on what lens you have. use a tripod and get some light on the cyl.:cheers:

$.02

i had no luck shooting through the exhaust port.

so i dropped a 12volt dashlight bulb down the plug hole. illumination is no longer the problem after that. i used manual focus. i never fooled with any of the other settings (canon rebel xt has a lot to fool with). could do better if you play around a bit. but it gets the job done.

i had no luck shooting through the exhaust port.

so i dropped a 12volt dashlight bulb down the plug hole. illumination is no longer the problem after that. i used manual focus. i never fooled with any of the other settings (canon rebel xt has a lot to fool with). could do better if you play around a bit. but it gets the job done.

That sure worked for you. Much better pics.

Latest posts

Back