Any guys running a dt466?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Btw, curious if there's anything you'd both agree on..? I keep thinking about getting a T6500 and they seem to come with either an Isuzu(duramax) or a CAT motor. I've heard they both have their minor pros and cons but they can both be good motors. Which would you each prefer if you had the choice? Go! :popcorn2:
I think that Firemechs not entirely wrong, I just think it is acceptable to turn up a pump and not worry if you are not a complete moron. Also, it is fair to note that the demographic that plays with their trucks and modifies them is going to probably never bring them to a mechanic.

I would buy based on what is the best maintained piece of equipment specc'd how I want in my price range, not brand and never buy new equipment. Depreciation is too expensive.

I think Cat is good, Duramax's are not bad either. But, I am not the biggest fan of the Duramax engines based on my experience with them in pickups. They are really hard for most people to work on. Noted, the 6.0 and later Powerstrokes have the same issue though, but they are still popular. Personally, I would own a Duramax powered anything assuming it was properly maintained, same with most Cats. A cat is probably a better option though, the T6500 is a little heavy for a Duramax, they seem like a better pickup or 4500 motor to me.

The "duramax" you refer to is not the V8 pickup engine. It is an Isuzu 6HK, which is the finest medium duty truck engine available of the era in my opinion. OHC, wet liners, std exhaust brake, no HUEI.

A cummins ISC (8.3) is right up there too.

Don't mod your DT

The "duramax" you refer to is not the V8 pickup engine. It is an Isuzu 6HK, which is the finest medium duty truck engine available of the era in my opinion. OHC, wet liners, std exhaust brake, no HUEI.

Don't mod your DT

Always forget there is a straight 6 too. The 5500 and 6500 conventional and cabover trucks where I am only ever had the V8s in them. I think it was because the dealers had them on the lot. Personally, I would never buy a GM medium duty since there is only one dealer that services them within an hour and a half of me.

Yep. Your kind of married to them too. Even the tandem GMs use an automotive style diagnostic plug in, most heavy truck shops won't touch them. Plus, GM medium duty is no longer. Some of the parts are already NLA. I always thought the topkick cab was a total POS.

I've read Ford is really gaining market share with the 650 chassis mated with the gas engine. Lots of guys have gotten burned by the 08 + smog diesels. Considering fuel is cheaper than it was in the 50s adjusted for inflation, it's not a surprise, but that will change.

Yep. Your kind of married to them too. Even the tandem GMs use an automotive style diagnostic plug in, most heavy truck shops won't touch them. Plus, GM medium duty is no longer. Some of the parts are already NLA. I always thought the topkick cab was a total POS.

I've read Ford is really gaining market share with the 650 chassis mated with the gas engine. Lots of guys have gotten burned by the 08 + smog diesels. Considering fuel is cheaper than it was in the 50s adjusted for inflation, it's not a surprise, but that will change.

Sounds about right, but Im pretty sure everything else is more expensive (other then food).

Where I am IH/Navistar is tied with Ford for the Medium duty market. Surprising, but I think the no. 1 medium duty diesel engine in my area is the DT466 by a mile. Amusingly, a lot of the Ford F450s and F550s have the same tuners and built transmissions that the Pickups are getting.

You couldnt give me a topkick. Im not kidding. Doesnt matter what engine it has, there wont be any major issues with either one, the body is junk, the frame is junk, and the computers are junk. Lots of proprietary software and no one has it, I bought some of it but then you need special training to unlock the advanced stuff, but the training is no longer available in the US. Nothing like wasting 2000 on something you cant use or resell.

The f550 and under is a beefed up pickup. Works just fine. The f650/750 is a true medium duty truck. The cummins + allison option in them is the ticket.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You couldnt give me a topkick. Im not kidding. Doesnt matter what engine it has, there wont be any major issues with either one, the body is junk, the frame is junk, and the computers are junk. Lots of proprietary software and no one has it, I bought some of it but then you need special training to unlock the advanced stuff, but the training is no longer available in the US. Nothing like wasting 2000 on something you cant use or resell.

The f550 and under is a beefed up pickup. Works just fine. The f650/750 is a true medium duty truck. The cummins + allison option in them is the ticket.

Your saying you would turn down a running, driving truck if someone just gave you the keys and the title?

Thats crazy talk to me. Ill take any truck if it is free and not going to get me in legal trouble. Just run it till it doesn't and part it out. Engine, trans, and rears are all worth some money. And the body parts too.

Your saying you would turn down a running, driving truck if someone just gave you the keys and the title?

Thats crazy talk to me. Ill take any truck if it is free and not going to get me in legal trouble. Just run it till it doesn't and part it out. Engine, trans, and rears are all worth some money. And the body parts too.
How much free time do you have? I make more fixing other people's poor decisions than trying to fix my own.

Now if i only worked a 9-5 and was independently wealthy (or retired) then i might risk taking on those kinds of projects. Its a rare day that you make any money parting out a truck, the time investment and space required to do that make it pay very little in the end.

I can inframe an over the road semi and put 5k in my pocket, in a weekend. I cant part out a truck in a weekend, plus you have 1000 Craigslist kooks want to come look and haggle for every nut and bolt in your yard. And 5 of them are there to scope out your stuff to rob you. Not worth it.

Apples and oranges tenderfoot, if you are in a business for yourself, dont mod your truck. It will cost you money. If you are a weekend hobbyists or think you know more than the engineers and mechanics who designed, built, and work on this stuff every day, then by all means, its your money to waste. Just because you dont see a p pump fail with a small increase in pressue doesnt mean it doesn't happen. How many modded p pump engines have you seen? I inframe 25+ engines a year, for the last 10 years or so. I work on another 200-300 trucks a year. How many trucks do you work on? How do you know that the small mods are not doing any damage? Have you ever rebuilt a p pump? I have. Last one was in November.

Back