Any info on a Husqvarna 268??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a logger, I wish every one of my saws gained .4 HP without gaining weight.

As do I I was lucky enough to have a family member who had a 272xp with a bad crank when my 61 top end blew. Quick switch and boom more power and same weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the biggest top end able to be put on a 266se? The current one has one of the exhaust bolts with probably about a 1/3 cm broken off inside it and minor scoring on the piston. I haven't checked the cylinder yet for internal damage but it wouldn't be anything shocking to me since this saw was not taken good care of. The last owner didn't even have a exhaust gasket an must have not knew what basic maintenance is since the exhaust port was caked up with carbon to the point where it was blocking almost a third of the opening.

As a logger, I wish every one of my saws gained .4 HP without gaining weight.

yes, i agree .4hp would be nice and 4hp more would be great, however, you buy saws theat are produced by husqvarna, stihl or a few other makers that will perform the work that you require. let me ask you a question, and i don't mean to be confrontational. would you rather have a 268 in good tune, with a very sharp chain or a 268xp with a mediocre chain and tune? you're a logger. you need saws that will cut as much wood in one day as possible. that's how you make money. you probably buy three saws every year and at the end they're done. you know what works for you and it doesn't matter if it was built in germany, sweden, japan or even china. you know what works when you put the saw into the tree. do you really obsess on fractional numbers that may or my not be true?

yes, i agree .4hp would be nice and 4hp more would be great, however, you buy saws theat are produced by husqvarna, stihl or a few other makers that will perform the work that you require. let me ask you a question, and i don't mean to be confrontational. would you rather have a 268 in good tune, with a very sharp chain or a 268xp with a mediocre chain and tune? you're a logger. you need saws that will cut as much wood in one day as possible. that's how you make money. you probably buy three saws every year and at the end they're done. you know what works for you and it doesn't matter if it was built in germany, sweden, japan or even china. you know what works when you put the saw into the tree. do you really obsess on fractional numbers that may or my not be true?
Yes, a sharp chain is probably the most important factor in cutting efficiently. A well tuned saw is a must. I simply assume that these factors are the same in any saw I use.
When I buy a saw, yes I do pay attention to numbers like weight and HP.
But you are correct, at the end of the day, I judge a saw by how it performs for me in the field. A number of years ago I ran a Husqvarna 365 for a day. It worked fine, but I knew I would never own one because I already owned a 372xp. I felt the 372 had more power with the same weight.

Back