Any Prostate Cancer Survivors here who still climb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff86

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This is me: 56y/o, psa 4.1, biopsy 6 of 24 cores positive with Gleason 3+3=6. Strong family hx of Dad & brother. Dad found his late around 70y/o and had bone mets eventually.

So, has anyone had a radical prostatectomy and still able to climb? How long to recover before getting back to work?

Debating on active surveillance vs. surgery.

Shoot to be climbing at 56 is darn rare. I'm 34 and it's not a job I'd do! I go and get a step ladder t9 get in the truck beds even (4ft climb)

I had prostate cancer and had mine removed by robotic prostatectomy. That was seven years ago. I can't remember exactly, but it seems like I was back to work about 6--8 weeks later.

"Radical prostatectomy"--don't know anything about that. It takes some time to get back to it, no matter what route you go. I'm 65, still climbing, though my work requires climbing only now and then, maybe 2 or 3 times a month, sometimes not even that. (I climbed yesterday, went up all of 20' to drop a willow limb.)

You might know that there's an old saying: "More men die WITH prostate cancer than die OF prostate cancer." Which means something if you're 76. But if you're 56, I wouldn't want to chance going the Well-let's-just-wait-and-see route. I knew a guy in his early 70s who died of it because his doc didn't take it seriously.

My PSA was close to eight when we started moving on this, and it had risen from something like 4 a year earlier. My doc suggested we wait and see. My wife is an RN, and she said the hell with that. I had like 10 positive punches out of 12. She steered me through it, fought the insurance company, the whole deal.

I just ran your numbers past my wife--she's pretty good on this stuff--she says your numbers aren't that high. I asked her, if this was me at 56 what would you say. "Oh, you're getting it out." If you tend to it early there's less chance it will metastasize.

All the best to you.

CB

You can live a full life with prostate cancer, or close to it,
I won't go to the doctor,
Jeff

My grandfather, who survived being badly wounded in the war, loosing a leg due to complications in the 80's, then died from prostate cancer, and it was not an easy death

My dad, 7 years ago was diagnosed. He had treatment involving radioactive seeds being stuck in the prostate and has been 100% clear since. Hes outlived his fathers age and been able to be a grandfather to my 3 daughters.

Everyone makes choices

My wife is an ER nurse. Yesterday a 59-yr-old guy came in to her unit, cut short his hiking trip because he just didn't feel right. Turns out the prostate cancer that he had been ignoring has metastasized and is all thru his mid-section.

Don't know how long a process this is, but he'll die within 2--3 yrs.

My wife is an ER nurse. Yesterday a 59-yr-old guy came in to her unit, cut short his hiking trip because he just didn't feel right. Turns out the prostate cancer that he had been ignoring has metastasized and is all thru his mid-section.

Well, yeah. Ignoring = ignorance. Will recheck my psa in Sep.

You can live a full life with prostate cancer, or close to it,
I won't go to the doctor,
Jeff

JESUS ****ING MOTHER OF ****ING CHRIST!!!!!

And they say I am ****ed up!??

Jeff!!! Jeff!!!!!!! JEFF!!!!!!

Valhalla!!!!

I was going to ask that after going through treatment once would he do it again or would have done it in the first place. BUT YOU!? Well ,.,..,/';l';';
',./.';'
,/.'./.'
./'..//
'

'.
'.
'

JESUS ****ING MOTHER OF ****ING CHRIST!!!!!

And they say I am ****ed up!??

Jeff!!! Jeff!!!!!!! JEFF!!!!!!

Valhalla!!!!

I was going to ask that after going through treatment once would he do it again or would have done it in the first place. BUT YOU!? Well ,.,..,/';l';';
',./.';'
,/.'./.'
./'..//
'

'.
'.

I ain't worried, God is my doctor,,
Jeff :cool:
'

Maybe that is one of the reasons I don't go, I don't want to know.
Jeff

Jeff is afraid to get his poopy hole checked and would rather die before anybody stuck anything up it!

Me to!

What kind of world is this anyway? I mean is there nothing a person can have that somebody doesn't have to route through, inventory, report on, and tell us what we need to do with it?

Back