anybody around here still chop?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you wear cutoff sleeve flannels like that butt-clown?

Of course we still "chop" its a firewood forum.

Hey, the dude was working up a sweat and decided to chop the arms off his flannel shirt. Ain't nothin' butt-clown about that!

I go camping into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area each summer.

No motorized equipment allowed so all firewood is created by the Armstrong method. Technically you are not allowed to cut standing trees but the axe does come in handy for cutting windfall into easy to transport lengths.

Same situation in the Great Smokies on backpacking trips. You are allowed to cut dead firewood that is already on the ground. You have a choice of using either a hand saw or an axe/hatchet. Since all the available wood near campsites has been scrounged up, you'll usually have to drag the stuff some distance to get it to the fire pit.

I usually go to the east end of a big bay and there is plenty of driftwood washed up during springtime high water. So it's a matter of shortening to fit in the canoe.

Beaver lodges have nice short chunks and the ones higher up are nice and dry too.

"Butt-clown?"

I'm not familiar with that term, but whatever it means, I don't think it applies to the guy in the pic. He's obviously competing in a chopping contest, as the round is fastened to the block. He's got a good quality ax and is using good technique. I'll wager he can out chop anyone on this thread, even if he's a bit thick in the middle, has poor taste in clothing and has not the slightest sign of a moustache.

I love to split with the Fiscars x27:chop:, but no interest in chopping on a normal basis, although every now and then can be fun.
If I had to camp in an area with no engines allowed I would use a pruning saw or one of these, been looking for an excuse to buy one, anyone try one yet.
It would be nice for those late night scrounges:innocent:
They say one battery is equivalent to a tank of fuel, that should cut a lot of wood, shows it speced out with a 3/8 chain, must have great torque.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/t536li-xp/966729272/

Here you go uncle couple definitions out there lol.
Butt-clown: One (or more) males in a group who always think they are funny, but instead embarrass their friends,
or this one fits into it's own category as well as the first definition.

I don't "chop" wood , but I split my firewood with an axe.

I have 3 axes, this one is the only one that splits oak and beech unlike anything I have ever encountered.
The handle is 42-44" long, allows for a forceful swing with little effort.

I have forbidden anyone in my family to use it threatening that I would no longer chop our firewood if it gets misused.
I buck and chop 7 cubic meters of oak logs a year! :)
The rounds are cut anywhere between 10-14" long.

My "splitter" , powered by a single bull! ;)

DSC02387.JPG DSC02388.JPG DSC02389.JPG DSC02390.JPG DSC02391.JPG

I need a new handle!

Back