Anybody buy truckloads of logs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the way a lot of people near me get firewood. 10-12 cords on a truck and a lot of people burn 10-12 cords in their OWBs, so it works pretty good.

I bought a truckload this winter myself. I paid $90 per cord for 12 cords of white and red oak delivered to my driveway. I can and do cut wood for free in a few places, but even if you don't pay for the wood it's not really free. It costs fuel, parts for repair and maintenance, and probably most valuable, time. So $90/cord isn't so bad. I'll sell a few cords at $300 delivered and pay for most of the load.

I will buy a truck load every once in a while, but I pay about half of the numbers everyone else is saying. I only use wood heat about 4 months of the year. It saves me about $200 month on electricity, or around $800 in heating cost. I'll burn about 4 cords, or one cord per month average, per winter. Paying $100 per cord and then still having to buck, split and stack just doesnt seem worth the effort to burn wood, for the little bit of money saved. I can get about 2 years worth of wood, (8cords) for about $400, If I double that cost for bucking/splitting and stacking, I am at $800 and will get 8 months of heat, $100per month. A savings of about $800 over using electricity. Everyones weather is a little different, winters longer/shorter, colder/milder, and everyone should do their own math.

I pay $300 for log length loads of what usually ends being 3.5-4 cords of Oak, Hickory and occasionally a bit of Elm.
I buy in the early summer, when the price is the lowest and process in the fall and winter, for the following year. With the mild winters we've had the last couple of years, I'm Two years ahead.

A friend of mine gets $400 a cord delivered and stacked.

Is that for spruce? Same price here for a 20 cord load of spruce logs.

Spruce or birch. Poplar is about $110/cord.

Spruce is $$ because it's bought as saw logs if it's 8" dbh or bigger, so by the bd ft. Doesn't matter if it's good or junk.

The "junk" gets turned to firewood.

I forget the $ per ft, I know birch is usually around $15-20 a cord. (now that's just the stumpage, doesn't count insurance, surety bond, hauling equipment, breakdowns, wear & tear, labor, etc) by the time it's logs coming out a lot of time and money has been invested.

I will buy a truck load every once in a while, but I pay about half of the numbers everyone else is saying. I only use wood heat about 4 months of the year. It saves me about $200 month on electricity, or around $800 in heating cost. I'll burn about 4 cords, or one cord per month average, per winter. Paying $100 per cord and then still having to buck, split and stack just doesnt seem worth the effort to burn wood, for the little bit of money saved. I can get about 2 years worth of wood, (8cords) for about $400, If I double that cost for bucking/splitting and stacking, I am at $800 and will get 8 months of heat, $100per month. A savings of about $800 over using electricity. Everyones weather is a little different, winters longer/shorter, colder/milder, and everyone should do their own math.

I forget where you live, but sounds like there is low demand for firewood and cost of living is low too. Here winter is 7 months, heating season late September to early June, and cost of living is $$.

Winters are pretty mild, especially when you look at what a few of you folks have to deal with. I took my wife to YellowStone a few years ago and all I hear is how she would like to live out there. Now everytime they have a big snow storm out there, I call the wife to come see the snow on the news. I think I now have her convinced that the Northern Plains might be a nice place to visit, but to cold for year round living.

Another thing I have noticed about you northern folks is the quality of wood everybody burns. Spruce, pines, firs. We are well blessed with quality hardwoods. I burn mostly white and red oak, I only burn populars, maples and pines because I need to get rid of it.

Lots of logging companies around my way, was thinking of trying to contact a company and getting the price on a load of logs that I'd buck and split. Anybody use this method?
Never have in all my years burning wood but thinking of it lately with my back.

Winters are pretty mild, especially when you look at what a few of you folks have to deal with. I took my wife to YellowStone a few years ago and all I hear is how she would like to live out there. Now everytime they have a big snow storm out there, I call the wife to come see the snow on the news. I think I now have her convinced that the Northern Plains might be a nice place to visit, but to cold for year round living.

Another thing I have noticed about you northern folks is the quality of wood everybody burns. Spruce, pines, firs. We are well blessed with quality hardwoods. I burn mostly white and red oak, I only burn populars, maples and pines because I need to get rid of it.
I burn mostly oak here......dead standing oaks. Great fossil fuel.

Had a neighbour stop in today to ask who I buy my logs from. Told him I cut them all myself and haul them home. He says " how the heck do you do that and work 50 hours a week". I tell him that I spend every spare time I have in the bush or on my log piles. He's a little behind in his cutting due to hip replacements and just getting old. I showed him some of my stuff for firewooding and he said he still has no idea how I find the time to build the stuff and cut wood. He farms so that keeps him busy too. He owns lots of bush but like me he just can't buy time. Today was a beautiful day and I spent it in the basement working on wiring. Honey do it or else list.

Red and white oak is just slightly better than birch actually. 24 million btu a cord compared to 23.6 million.

I'm looking at about 100/cord for tamarack. Sells for 250/cord split around here. Closer to 300 this time of year

You idaho guys can get the tamarack log loads cheaper, for some reason it always seems to be 40-50 cord higher to get it across the state line. Although you can normally buy tamarack cords cut ,split & delivered for 200ish in spring & summer.

Back