Anybody else like Red Oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oak, there is no other.

2mct2e9.jpg

2h84mfp.jpg

jpzn79.jpg

I make an exception for Hickory though:

n3258y.jpg

Here's what I was talking about with some of those rounds. It makes for some interesting splitting.

IMAG0865.jpg
IMAG0864.jpg

I'm working on a load of red oak right now. The split wood is so irregular in shape that stacking it takes some attention. I'm not complaining, though, it's one of the best types of firewood in my area.

wish I could get Oak ( any variety) - reasonably priced or scrounge, but I guess I well just have to settle for the Honey Locust ( and a little Black) + a bit of Beech on the scrounge side of the fence.

wish I could get Oak ( any variety) - reasonably priced or scrounge, but I guess I well just have to settle for the Honey Locust ( and a little Black) + a bit of Beech on the scrounge side of the fence.

Hey, seasoned Locust and Beach, you're doing just as good as Oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck yeah, Red Oak is nice when seasoned (about two years for me). It does small very strong when freshly cut and split. I have this Red Oak ahead of me next to split. And this is what is still on the ground...(at a friend's house).redoak cut1 (35).JPG

Attachments

• redoakbase(36).JPG
    redoakbase(36).JPG
    447.4 KB · Views: 13
Does that wood have a lot of small branches? If it does, it's what we call Pin Oak. It's in the Red Oak family, but doesn't split as easily as Red Oak does.

No, it wasn't real branchy/twiggy. The homeowner said it was a pin oak but it sure looked like a red oak to me. The bark doesn't look quite right for pin oak.

I took this 32" DBH Pin Oak in my lawn down this past Winter. This tree was victim of Oak Wilt. 90% of what I cut is Northern Red Oak. This big Pin Oak was indeed (and obviously massively) twigged out. Took me almost as long to clean up the brush as it did to process all the usable firewood. Waited till we had a pretty good snow cover to protect my lawn. And, although I have great faith in felling skills, the wrong direction would have clipped my house, so, I added a little mechanically advantaged come-along persuasion.

It definitely is a little tougher to split, at least by hand which is how I do all my splitting. I got 4½ cord out of this tree, using branches down to 3" diameter.

We don't have much oak around here, I wish we did though because I've really enjoyed the heat put out by what little I've gotten a hold of. I did scrounge up maybe 1/3 cord of cork oak though, anyone ever burn any of that?

Red oak is wonderful firewood . Long hot burns excellent coaling ability and usually splits easy by hand of coarse the downside is being so dense it requires a long seasoning time. . Split your wood smaller ( nothing over 8" across) and put it single row in the open sun and wind for best results

I may be wrong, but Pin Oak is in the Red Oak family.

Pin Oak is in the Red Oak family...as well as Water Oak. I just split up a Water Oak that fell across some power lines (of course the cleanup was done after the energy company re-strung the lines and gave the all clear). It yielded around a cord of firewood and there was a lot left at the property owner's that they kept for a large bonfire. Plus at the base of the water oak I didn't mess with any of those rounds due to seeing termites. There were a couple of pieces I did split that had dead termites and one with live termites that I sprayed concentrate on to zap. I hate spraying firewood, but it was just one round.redoakdriveway (37).JPG

Got all of the first batch split. I'm guessing it's around 2 full cords. Supposed to go back tomorrow and cut up the rest and load up this weekend. I'm thinking it will be around 5 cords all together...the trunk is massive.

IMAG0872.jpg

Back