Anybody else like Red Oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree was felled Tues and I've been cutting on it every day since. I have all the cross cuts made and a lot of the noodling done. Going to haul what I can tomorrow and hopefully get the rest next week. Lots of work getting this big dog cut up and processed but it's going to be worth it! I haven't measured it but I'm thinking it's 36"+ DBH...the 24" bar on the 372 was barely enough buried in double cuts, especially in the middle where the trunk branched off.

IMG_0777.JPG IMG_0778.JPG IMG_0780.JPG IMG_0781.JPG

Tree was felled Tues and I've been cutting on it every day since. I have all the cross cuts made and a lot of the noodling done. Going to haul what I can tomorrow and hopefully get the rest next week. Lots of work getting this big dog cut up and processed but it's going to be worth it! I haven't measured it but I'm thinking it's 36"+ DBH...the 24" bar on the 372 was barely enough buried in double cuts, especially in the middle where the trunk branched off.

View attachment 428982 View attachment 428983 View attachment 428984 View attachment 428985
in a open area. getting it down..easy!! the WORK starts directly after!!!

It's very possible it's a pin oak but it really did not look like the pins I have seen. But as others commented, pin oaks are closely related to red oaks. Either way it's a LOT of wood and it is pretty tough to split. I hauled 5 heaping truckloads yesterday. The quartered rounds were still incredibly heavy and a bear to load even with 2 guys. Looks like another 3-4 truckloads left...5 full cords total seems about right.

Only a couple days till July, hard into Summer here in PA, and I really don't like firewood work in the heat. But, this big (About 26" DBH) dead Red Oak came down in a heavy storm last week. Lucky for me it was in the woods, and away from my buildings and utility lines. I could just leave it till October, but it crossed another of my "critical" ATV trails. So, my partner and I pulled on the Carhartts and began bucking it so I can get it off the ground, and off the trail.

June Storm Pose.JPG

Nice to have added the bigger saw/bar combination to make the cuts from one side rather than having to saw from both sides with my trusty 510. But, equally nice to pick up the 510 after a couple tanks of cutting with the 6100 and 24" bar when moving into the crown.

It was only about 65°, but that is just too hot to work at this long.

It was only about 65°, but that is just too hot to work at this long.[/QUOTE]
65!!!!!! thats a damn cake walk!!!! try 88-93, with about the same hummmdidididty......looked like I came out of the pool three days in a row...........

Yeah, that's nothing. One of the days I was bucking up that tree it was 95* with about 65-70% humidity.

Nice tree though, looks like solid wood.

I'm still splitting, have about 3 cords split so far and still a good chunk to go. A friend called me up the other day and said he had a load of red oak dropped off and a splitter so I spent the day yesterday cutting and splitting...got 3 nice truckloads.

Only a couple days till July, hard into Summer here in PA, and I really don't like firewood work in the heat. But, this big (About 26" DBH) dead Red Oak came down in a heavy storm last week. Lucky for me it was in the woods, and away from my buildings and utility lines. I could just leave it till October, but it crossed another of my "critical" ATV trails. So, my partner and I pulled on the Carhartts and began bucking it so I can get it off the ground, and off the trail.

View attachment 433175

Nice to have added the bigger saw/bar combination to make the cuts from one side rather than having to saw from both sides with my trusty 510. But, equally nice to pick up the 510 after a couple tanks of cutting with the 6100 and 24" bar when moving into the crown.

It was only about 65°, but that is just too hot to work at this long.

Thats a good looking real world combination of saws there. I have a 6400 and a 510 as well. How does that 6100 handle that 24" bar?

Thats a good looking real world combination of saws there. I have a 6400 and a 510 as well. How does that 6100 handle that 24" bar?

I'm still in the break-in of this saw, probably about 5 tanks through it so far. I've cut some Hickory, this oak, and a couple test cookies on my testing log. It seems to have no problem with this 24" bar. I am still getting a burble when I relieve the pressure in the cut. Maybe you can hear it in this little video: (Note - this video is with the 20" Dolmar bar)

I'm still in the break-in of this saw, probably about 5 tanks through it so far. I've cut some Hickory, this oak, and a couple test cookies on my testing log. It seems to have no problem with this 24" bar. I am still getting a burble when I relieve the pressure in the cut. Maybe you can hear it in this little video: (Note - this video is with the 20" Dolmar bar)

Nice. I have a 30" i run on my 6400 some with a skip chain and it does good. Not as good as the 20" but it can handle it. Just had to take my 510 back to the dealer for the second time in a year and a half to put another diaphragm in the carb? he said it was the fuel??

Jere, from the sound of it your saw might not be properly tuned . Might wanna ask the experts though.

Jere, from the sound of it your saw might not be properly tuned . Might wanna ask the experts though.

Thanks. "Experts" I have asked have opined that it is running rich - which is better than lean. Others have suggested I might leave it rich till I've actually broken it in properly (probably more like 10 tanks of serious cutting). And, still others have suggested I really need a tach and special "D" screw drivers, and to remove various limiters, which would void my warranty.

My dealer, a certified Dolmar service tech, ran it in some serious oak and more or less said it sounds fine, perhaps a little rich, and he would not adjust (void the warranty).

Thanks. "Experts" I have asked have opined that it is running rich - which is better than lean. Others have suggested I might leave it rich till I've actually broken it in properly (probably more like 10 tanks of serious cutting). And, still others have suggested I really need a tach and special "D" screw drivers, and to remove various limiters, which would void my warranty.

My dealer, a certified Dolmar service tech, ran it in some serious oak and more or less said it sounds fine, perhaps a little rich, and he would not adjust (void the warranty).

I does sound rich but it also don't look like your leaning on it real hard either?

Latest posts

Back