anybody grow lima beans?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out to ck on the lima beans today. to pick or not to pick! and... omg... the 4 or 5 I thot I mite pick, pods... well, let me just say I was in for a surprise... had lots! 3 full beans per pod... and lots more on the plants and flowers, too. sure setting nice! I have not popped the beans out yet... prob will this morning... over coffee...

summary: here is the first picking from my lima bean experiment. from plants grown from seeds put up in refer over 35 years ago!!! ' believe it!! '

sure looks like 'a bushel full' to me! ;)
P1010005.JPG
P1010006.JPG
P1010001.JPG

Had to order a new package of King of the garden pole limas today. I planted them twice already from left over seed from last year and only two came up, so I am going to try some new seeds and hope for the best.

Something has eaten the tips out of everyone of the pinto bean sprouts. Didn't touch the leaves or the beans. Anyone know who the culprit is?

Do you think it could be rabbits, I know they ate my squash plants off twice when they first came up until I started sitting a bucket over them at night until they get about six inchs tall, they don't seem to bother them then.

I went out to ck on the lima beans today. to pick or not to pick! and... omg... the 4 or 5 I thot I mite pick, pods... well, let me just say I was in for a surprise... had lots! 3 full beans per pod... and lots more on the plants and flowers, too. sure setting nice! I have not popped the beans out yet... prob will this morning... over coffee...

summary: here is the first picking from my lima bean experiment. from plants grown from seeds put up in refer over 35 years ago!!! ' believe it!! '

sure looks like 'a bushel full' to me! ;)View attachment 508468 View attachment 508469 View attachment 508470

Looks like time for some succotash, sweet corn, maters, and limas, with ( butter ) one of my favorites!!

You'll surely beat me to picking. My lima are jus now showing signs of budding out.

Hmm, they also look like they might be climbers. It didn't say that on the seed pack. I guess I can shove a pole in the ground near each plant (12), if it turns out they are climbers after all.

I planted my limas a couple days ago, watered them good today to get the seeds started as soon as possible. I'm figuring my first beans will be ready sometime in Sept. I've got around 90 feet of six foot high fence they will be growing on. This fence has been occupied by sugar snap peas until a week ago when I cleared the peas out. Got a huge crop of peas, expecting the same in limas in the fall.

Did you keep the seeds in the freezer?

Had them in a box in a dark room with the rest of the seeds, never thought about putting them in the freezer, does that help? I did dig a couple up and noticed that they had split into two halves with no sprout.

Had them in a box in a dark room with the rest of the seeds, never thought about putting them in the freezer, does that help? I did dig a couple up and noticed that they had split into two halves with no sprout.

The freezer makes a huge difference. A few weeks ago, I planted sweet corn that had been in the freezer for three years, nearly all of it came up. I often buy out of date seeds for very low sale prices, place them in the freezer, and plant them a few years later with no problems. This probably isn't practical or a good idea for a commercial grower, but for the home gardener it works just fine.

today I made my 2nd harvest run thru my lima beans... got a big trug full... lots to eat and a nice supply of next year's plant's seeds. limas in refer. and seeds drying. had lima beans and sweet 100's for dinner. pix on all... just need t0 upload... :) pretty happy with the lima beans. if not for AS and this thread... I would not have planted any. fact! :)

my limas...
P1010035.JPG
P1010037.JPG

today I made my 2nd harvest run thru my lima beans... got a big trug full... lots to eat and a nice supply of next year's plant's seeds. limas in refer. and seeds drying. had lima beans and sweet 100's for dinner. pix on all... just need t0 upload... :) pretty happy with the lima beans. if not for AS and this thread... I would not have planted any. fact! :)

my limas...
View attachment 510428 View attachment 510429

I can taste them now!! My third planting finally came up, will try to get the picture up.

These are the new lima seeds that I planted last sat. Had to replant two more where a damn mole must have pulled them under, Might be able to see the holes in the front row. A couple on the other side that came up before are already half way up the trellis. Will see how these do. not going to replant them any more.

Attachments

• 2013-02-06 001 003.JPG
    2013-02-06 001 003.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 4
well, I sure got me a pi** pot of lima bean seeds for next year. here is a pix of them after my 2nd harvest. I was a bit late getting back to the limas so some pods went beyond... still, ok with me... I bet I got close to 200 seeds if not more. I was thinking of counting them... ;)

next season's lima beans on the R, unshucked.

P1010034.JPG

Back