Anybody know what kind of wood this is?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for your input. After looking at everyone's comments here and on Facebook looks as if most seem to think Walnut family. Sure glad I found this forum and all the great people here.....Thanks again ...Ron

Been cutting black walnut all weekend and pretty sure that's what you have. Scrape the bark with the sharp edge of a knife or axe. If it shows dark brown, it's black walnut.
Thanks I'll give that a try....

The split wood is Walnut. The pith is chambered (the center of the wood, with all the little dividers). Walnut is the only common species that has chambered pith. The standing trees are Hickory and maybe Oak.
Thanks for the reply, and thanks for a new word for me "pith", Learn something new all the time.. :)

Hello to all, new here to the site. The picture of the slab and logs is Butternut. I just cut had some into slabs. Some times also refered to as White Walnut.

Attachments

• IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 26
Black walnut. Have some here that has the red tint and some of the same tree had a purple tint.

Latest posts

Back