Anybody want a smoking deal on a new Drolet Tundra/Heatmax? or a stove?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last call, this sale ends tonight...

I was telling my sister about the Tundra recently (she has my old Yukon Big Jack furnace now) she said she'd think about it and if they go on sale again to let her know. Ordered one last night...
Just got an email...the new Tundra is in already! That was fast, Menards said 6 days when it was ordered

Brenn you better snag one for yourself and quit being a cheapskate :surprised3:

Got a shelter almost 2 years old . Had chimney fire Friday night, seen the deal an bought the drolet today .
Which Shelter did you have? I thought they seemed to be built pretty good. They have a secondary burn chamber also.

Brenn you better snag one for yourself and quit being a cheapskate :surprised3:

:laugh: It's not the money...heck, even the wife would be on board with a switch out because the Yukon is a lil complicated to run the way I have it set up right now. But it is running pretty clean and efficient and it would be a ton of work to change over. I had to completely disassemble it to get 'er in the furnace room. Also, I would have to install a new fossil furnace too since the Yukon is a wood/oil combo. I'd go with a HE propane furnace to free up my only flue for the wood heater...and my duct work is kinda complicated too. Oh, and I'd hafta install a 6" liner in my 8" liner :confused:. Obviously I have given this some thought. :rolleyes:
Even though this deal on the Tundra right now makes it tempting to change out, I am gonna wait for better timing (we have a newborn in the house right now too :)) and also to see what comes down the pike after the new EPA regs hit here pretty soon. If I decided to change, my inner cheapskate would be tempted to go with the Tundra, but honestly, as much as it would hurt, I'd hafta seriously consider the Kuumas too.

Not the ones I seen, our local Menards has 'em on display...and IIRC that's where AOK bought his...
I looked at the ones at menards just the other day and on their website and that chamber on top is supposed to be secondary burn chamber.

I looked at the ones at menards just the other day and on their website and that chamber on top is supposed to be secondary burn chamber.
Yeah, OK, I do remember that now. But I'm pretty sure there is no secondary air feed in that "chamber" (it's basically just a baffle) It's kinda like what Yukon does on their Jack line, technically, on those, there is "secondary air" but it is poorly placed and about the only time you are gonna get "secondary burn" is right after a fresh load on hot coals during high firing.

I'd even go out on a limb so far as to say that any of the wood/coal combo burners like Yukon, Brunco, Firechief, Enegy King, Shelter, etc, even if they advertise secondary burn chambers, will never burn as clean and efficiently as the "EPA" type fireboxes, (unless you have wet wood, then nothing is gonna burn that very well) I'm sure spidey would disagree here, but my experience has been that my lil EPA stove burns way cleaner than any of my previous (current) furnaces

Yeah, OK, I do remember that now. But I'm pretty sure there is no secondary air feed in that "chamber" (it's basically just a baffle) It's kinda like what Yukon does on their Jack line, technically, on those, there is "secondary air" but it is poorly placed and about the only time you are gonna get "secondary burn" is right after a fresh load on hot coals during high firing.
I'll have to inspect it better the next time I stop there.

Which Shelter did you have? I thought they seemed to be built pretty good. They have a secondary burn chamber also.
The 2626. I use seasoned wood thinking at least 5 years old . I had a foxfire with a 8 inch pipe that I used for guessing 15 years or more smoke never came out the door cleaned the chimney once a year not much trouble . Every thing now has a 6 inch pipe never did like them .

There is a a big difference between a secondary heat exchanger and true secondary combustion using burn tubes . A heat exchanger is just a space or baffle of some kind above the firebox that holds the heat in before it escapes up the flu

There is a a big difference between a secondary heat exchanger and true secondary combustion using burn tubes
Yeah, like completely different actually. A secondary heat exchanger just captures heat before it is wasted up the flue. Secondary combustion makes more heat and cleans up emissions.
A secondary heat exchanger is just a baffle, or tubes, some way of lengthening the exhaust path, allowing the flue gas more contact time with an "exchange" surface area so as to give up more of its temperature to the air or water on the other side of said surface.
Secondary combustion is just that, a firebox designed to sustain burning the wood gasses and/or smoke resulting from the primary wood burning fire until the wood burns into (or at least close to) the charcoal phase, at which point there should be little to no smoke, so little to no creosote.
Any ole burner can get a kinda/sorta secondary burn during high firing, but true secondary combustion requires either preheated air brought into the top of the main firebox via tubes right under the baffle, or, preheated air fed into a "nozzle" that the flue gasses/smoke have to pass through on its way into a secondary burn chamber, and then on out through a secondary heat exchanger(s).
The Tundra and Caddy furnaces are the "tube" type burners, most all of the newer EPA style stoves are too (except the ones with cats). All of the units that I know of that use the "nozzle" method are "gassifying" boilers, but there may be others, I dunno.
Then there is the Kuuma Vaporfire furnaces, I'm not sure where to classify those...maybe a hybrid? And there could be other types of secondary burn systems out there that I don't know about too...

Yeah, like completely different actually. A secondary heat exchanger is just a baffle, or tubes, some way of lengthening the exhaust path, allowing the flue gas more contact time with an "exchange" surface area so as to give up more of its temperature to the air or water on the other side of said surface.
Secondary combustion is just that, a firebox designed to sustain burning the wood gasses and/or smoke resulting from the primary wood burning fire until the wood burns into (or at least close to) the charcoal phase, at which point there should be little to no smoke, so little to no creosote.
Any ole burner can get a kinda/sorta secondary burn during high firing, but true secondary combustion requires either preheated air brought into the top of the main firebox via tubes right under the baffle, or, preheated air fed into a "nozzle" that the flue gasses/smoke have to pass through on its way into a secondary burn chamber, and then on out through a secondary heat exchanger(s).
The Tundra and Caddy furnaces are the "tube" type burners, most all of the newer EPA style stoves are too (except the ones with cats). All of the units that I know of that use the "nozzle" method are "gassifying" boilers, but there may be others, I dunno.
Then there is the Kuuma Vaporfire furnaces, I'm not sure where to classify those...maybe a hybrid? And there could be other types of secondary burn systems out there that I don't know about too...
The vaporfire has a secondary burn chamber and has low emissions and long burn time. So they must work also.

The vaporfire has a secondary burn chamber and has low emissions and long burn time. So they must work also.
Yeah but does it have tubes, or a nozzle with a true secondary chamber? I've never seen what the upper part of the burn chamber looks like on those

I've never heard of Menard's but sounds like they have real good prices on stuff.

We have Lowe's, Home Deport, Spenard Builder's Supply and Alaska Industrial Hardware. I normally shop at AIH and SBS being they are locally owned and some of the workers have bought firewood from me.

I've never heard of Menard's but sounds like they have real good prices on stuff.

We have Lowe's, Home Deport, Spenard Builder's Supply and Alaska Industrial Hardware. I normally shop at AIH and SBS being they are locally owned and some of the workers have bought firewood from me.
Menards is a great store and most of the time are cheaper than Home Depot.

Back