Anybody want to guess what I did?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300zx_tt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just as the title says, anybody wanna guess what I did to my left leg? I'll post some more pics after I have a bunch of responses.

I'll give you guys a hint, this isn't fresh. This is a picture of my leg 2 months after I injured myself.

Going to say the saw bit you, specially since it's on the left leg. Regardless of what it was it sure don't look like it was fun.

its from where they had you tied up before you broke out again. That's how I got mine. But then the nice men in the white coats always seem to find me again.

I gotta guess, I love guessing games. My guess is opening a box or something and wacked yourself with a box cutter

Well I'm gonna tell you guys a story. I had just cut down a white oak and I was limbing it. Got to a branch that was straight up in the air, proceeded to cut it with the top of the bar... My arms were tired and I was complacent. Next thing I knew my leg was burning and cold at the same time. I looked down through my pants and saw flesh, took my belt off and wrapped it up. I limped over to my brother and told him what happened, he pulled my truck around and I got in. 5 minutes later my vision had gone completely white, couldn't see a thing. 25 minutes later we pulled into the ER. I got on the table and got the first real good look at what I just did to myself.

Just a heads up this next picture is gonna have some blood, not too bad though

The blood on the left of my leg is just about all that I lost, I wrapped my leg so tight that the doctor said I could have done permanent nerve damage, they numbed me pretty good so I couldn't tell what was going on down there.

Here I am all stitched up, you can see how swollen and bruised my leg is. Obviously the trauma of a chain to the thigh is a lot for the body to handle.

I seriously debated if I wanted to post on here about this because frankly it's embarrassing. I thought chaps were for goobers. I thought there's no way in hell I'd need them because I'd never cut my self, I'd never be that dumb, or careless. But damn did it happen quick, and if I had chaps it could have been something way smaller. It could have been a scare and a realization that chainsaws are no joke. Instead it turned into a week and a half of no work, 2 more weeks of " light use" 36 stitches and a $3500 ER Bill (insurance covered it but still).

The moral of the story?

Don't be an ******* like me and think you are too good for safety equipment. Spend the $100 on a pair of chaps and wear them everytime you cut!

Oh man that does not look like fun! Glad everything turned out well, or as good as it could. I will admit, dragging out chaps is not always fun, especially when its warm out. Don't feel embarrassed about sharing, it's an important reminder for all of us never to become comfortable running a tool. We have all done our fair share of stupid stuff, your not alone. Man, some of the stuff I have walked away from...

Back