Anybody want to guess what I did?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother destroyed a cell phone that was in the front pocket of his jeans while using a chainsaw. :surprised3: I have no idea how or why the saw was that high up, but the result obviously could have been much worse. I bought him a set of chaps for Christmas and he now wears them.

I don't like wearing chaps in summer, they make me even hotter and more uncomfortable. Sometimes I don't wear them. Now I'm rethinking my position.
You sweat too much and you might not be thinking straight.

It's easy it for me to wear chaps in the summer because I wear shorts. The chaps really help to keep my legs from getting destroyed. That was not a fun day learning that lesson.

I have never worn chaps. I have seen by dad, and my brother do similar damage to their legs with chainsaws, but I have never had a scratch. It wasnt that I was that good with a saw, I was just that lucky. Now that I am older, I noticed myself stumbleing around, tripping over things I used to not notice or paid any attention to. For some reason, I just dont feel that lucky anymore. I do own a set of chaps and even gave a new pair to a boy that was buying his first chainsaw. He was 14years old and wanting to get into the firewood business. I ask his mom everytime I see her if the boy has been wearing his chaps. "Oh yes, I'll beat his ass if he dont". Being 14 he doesnt have a drivers license, and momma takes him to and from the woods. Protection and a supervisor to teach a young boy good habits.

Good to see you didn't do some major tendon / muscle damage. Almost did the same thing cutting some brush. I wear chaps now, winter or summer.

Before they stitched me up I the doc showed me how close I was to needing reconstructive surgery, there was no fat left, literally an 1/8 of an inch deeper and it woulda been in tendon/muscle. Pretty sketchy stuff.

It's easy it for me to wear chaps in the summer because I wear shorts. The chaps really help to keep my legs from getting destroyed. That was not a fun day learning that lesson.

Yup, I've only cut a few times since I cut myself and when it's hot shorts and chaps is the way to go... plus about a gallon of water.

I don't like wearing chaps in summer, they make me even hotter and more uncomfortable. Sometimes I don't wear them. Now I'm rethinking my position.

Seriously, wear them, sweating hard for the day is more comfortable than what I went through.

I have a nice dr. Bill fir my left leg mess. If you are undecided on buying chaps or wearing them do a google search for "chainsaw accidents" and click on images...if that doesnt change your mind, nothing will...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Just found this thread.

Thanks for sharing your story for the benefit of others.

(I was going to guess having a tattoo removed . . . .)

Good that you were also not working alone.

Stay safe.

Philbert

Wow! Glad to hear you're okay. Up until I bought this house with a wood stove I had only done a small amount of cutting, but now I find myself cutting on a weekly basis. I've been kicking around the idea of buying chaps and this just made up my mind.

Www.labonville.com makes the best imho.... Make sure you go to the "additional information" on upper right corner to properly size your chaps. The website has the best pricing for their stuff that i have been able to find. Its not worth dying over or bleeding out in front of your family for something easily prevented. I felt pretty stupid after i got my leg. I didn't hit bone so thank the Lord for that...

I bought a pair of Labonville chaps, and they did not fit me well. I have a couple of pair of Husqvarna chaps (one apron style, one full wrap), and have worn many pairs of STIHL chaps that fit fine.

***If they are not comfortable, or too heavy, you will be less inclined to wear them for short jobs, during hot weather, when 'no one is watching', etc. So get a pair that you will wear.*** Try some on at a local store, if possible, or don't be shy on returning them if mail ordered. Heavier chaps are more protective, but . . . well, heavier and hotter to wear. Try wearing them with suspenders.

Philbert

I cant even tell i have the labonville chaps on.. Like you posted earlier, get a pair u will wear. I had a pair of husky i did not wear due to being uncomfortable... Im very pleased with labonvilles i have. Provide very good protection. I got the ones that are full wrap on rear of my calves.

Latest posts

Back