anyone else haul wood in a Ford ranger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my step dad use to roll hard in a ranger. he had a high sides on there and filled it. was a single cab long box. i've got a GM 2500hd SLT long box with a duramax and he hauled more wood in that ranger then i did in my truck without high sides. bagged the thing right out. front coil over mount ripping off the frame is what killed it. he's got the same truck as me now except his is a gasser. i was amazed at what that ranger could handle. he bought it for $100 off one of my buddies and it gave him 2 yrs of trouble free service.

My friend's old (and Father's recently acquired) '01 Ext-cab, 2.3/5-spd/2x4 ranger has definitely hauled more than a few cords as he used to help me cut often. We'd load my old '01 F-350 CC/LB SRW, 2x4 gasser (the reason it burned down) up along with the 18' trailer I was using at the time. The saws/tools and any leftovers would go in the ranger. We built wooden stakesides for it and sprayed them JD green. On more than one occasion, we probably had 1/2 cord in it dry and it did all-right. Normally it was somewhere between 1/4-1/3 cord. It still has the bumper hitch which tows a single jet-ski just fine. Dad will be installing a receiver hitch in it son however to be able to safely tow a 6'x12' trailer with it and to put a 4-way hitch with recovery hook in it for skidding smaller wood and tugging on various things. Outside of the newer 4cyl engines being throw-away motors, unlike the '98 and prior, it's a dandy little truck. My old '92 Toy 2x4 22re/5spd also hauled A LOT of wood, but didn't have the capacity that the Ranger does... They are awesome little motorized wheelbarrows.

I'm actually looking at buying a '90 S-10 4x4, 4.3/5-spd off of another friend to make my ultimate little wood wagon. I plan to overhaul the suspension and brakes and then either go through the 4.3 or put a smaller Isuzu Diesel in it and then make a flatbed for it. Should be a hell of a little hauler!

I'm actually looking at buying a '90 S-10 4x4, 4.3/5-spd off of another friend to make my ultimate little wood wagon. I plan to overhaul the suspension and brakes and then either go through the 4.3 or put a smaller Isuzu Diesel in it and then make a flatbed for it. Should be a hell of a little hauler!
?? except for one thing! it's not a ford ranger/mazda model that the op has in question....

Of course it isn't... I wouldn't want to start at a disadvantage!!!:popcorn:
Actually if I had the money I'd do a newer Toy, ZR-2 S-10, or FX4 Ranger, all of which being a V6, 4x4, Stick to start with... Oh well.

The Dakota would be ok, but it's frankly too' close in size to a full-size truck. Plus if I wanted that size, I'd buy a nice old T-100 or the early 3/4 size Tundra... It'a hard to beat a Toy!!!

Well, having said what I did above, and look what I did to the poor thing... :(

Brung that over some not so smooth stuff too.

Kinda overestimated what we'd cut up...

P1000344.JPG This was from a few years ago, I think it was a nice haul of some tamarack(w.larch).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back