anyone ever mill any aspen ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa.hunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
if so, how does it dry will it warp a lot ? i will be using it inside my house

Probably a underutilized wood here on the east coast. It warps some and dries more then most. I've used it in a few projects. I had a 3/8 maple floor that was impossible to find more of. I used some 3/8 aspen I had for apple crates to patch the floor with. It's still holding up. The left is the maple, right is the aspen. It's actually a pretty wood. https://plus.google.com/photos/1076...5426633500896201714&oid=107614430480833197202

Probably a underutilized wood here on the east coast. It warps some and dries more then most. I've used it in a few projects. I had a 3/8 maple floor that was impossible to find more of. I used some 3/8 aspen I had for apple crates to patch the floor with. It's still holding up. The left is the maple, right is the aspen. It's actually a pretty wood. https://plus.google.com/photos/1076...5426633500896201714&oid=107614430480833197202
did you tongue and groove it or just straighten it up put it down ? i was going to put it on top half of walls and maybe do my floors as well we have tons of it no good for firewood when i have oak maple hickory ash for that all are straight and tall here seems like soft wood rots up fast if falls similar to popular

I've milled and used quite a lot of aspen in my home both for trim and walls. It does warp and move around a lot as its drying. After air drying it I just ran mine through a planer and let it sit for a while longer until it was at about 15%. Then ran it through the table saw to straighten the edges. It still warps some but I just nail it up. If well secured it doesn't move much. image.jpg I did this room a couple years ago, no issues.

I just started milling this past summer. I started out with aspen. It was standing dead. I was quite pleased with the results. Mine stayed very straight and has some really nice color in it. Plan on starting some projects with it real soon. 101_0486.JPG 101_0486.JPG 100_0596.JPG

did you tongue and groove it or just straighten it up put it down ? i was going to put it on top half of walls and maybe do my floors as well we have tons of it no good for firewood when i have oak maple hickory ash for that all are straight and tall here seems like soft wood rots up fast if falls similar to popular
I just straightened it and nailed it down with cut nails. If it wasn't so thin I would have tongue and grooved it. That whole apartment job was pretty low budget.

Like I said, I am very new to this gig but can say that I am 100% hooked. I started with standing dead hoping they would be dry enough that I could put them to work in some projects this winter. Where I live in Southwest Wyoming it is very dry with extremely low humidity. When I sawed this stuff in June of this year, it was around 20 or under on my moisture meter. I carefully stacked the boards with a sticker about every 18" and banded the stack together with ratchet straps, occasionally tightening them as they dried and shrunk. I stored them under a carport. About a month ago I ran them through my surface planer and was very pleased with the results. Moisture meter is now reading 5 or less. I still have a lot to learn but I have found another hobby to keep me busy and getting quality wood at a very reasonable price for the gas and oil.

I mill quite a bit of it, as I have a lot of it on my place... The butt logs go to the BSM,

standard.jpg

and the rest goes to be cut/split for firewood,

standard.jpg

Lately, I've been milling those butt logs into 2x4's, and building 1/2 cord boxes,

standard.jpg

To put the firewood in,

standard.jpg

Aspen has a lot of uses, you just have to keep the negatives in mind, as you build with it.

SR

I mill quite a bit of it, as I have a lot of it on my place... The butt logs go to the BSM,

standard.jpg

and the rest goes to be cut/split for firewood,

standard.jpg

Lately, I've been milling those butt logs into 2x4's, and building 1/2 cord boxes,

standard.jpg

To put the firewood in,

standard.jpg

Aspen has a lot of uses, you just have to keep the negatives in mind, as you build with it.

SR
Interesting. What species of aspen is that? Most of the aspen in my neck of the woods is quaking aspen. The bark looks much different.

Around here, ALL of the tree's like the one pictured (or similar to it) are all called Aspen or Popple by everyone in the woods... That's what I call them too, I have no idea if they aren't "exactly" that or not?

SR

Could be balsam poplar. Doesn't look like our aspen aside from the color.

Count your blessings Rob - poplar's better wood.

Could be balsam poplar. Doesn't look like our aspen aside from the color.

Count your blessings Rob - poplar's better wood.
http://www.visualphotos.com/image/2x3830691/balsam_poplar_forest_populus_balsamifera_and you are right this ts what mine is i think i am going to get some pictures i know one thing the trees i have dont look like they belong here with all the hardwoods and if one falls its rotten and falling apart bye next fall now you got me wondering as well ------- no this is what i have its aspen http://www.greytowers.org/trees/flexslider/images/bigtoothaspen-03.jpg sticks out like sore thumb

Aspen's easy to find. The tops resemble paper birch, and the bottoms are grey. Neither of them are even remotely rot resistant, but they're super light (even green on the stump) and dry quickly. They aren't in the same league as pine for strength, but you can compensate for that with thicker boards.

Keep it out of the weather, or above the splash/snow line and it seems to hold up.

Latest posts

Back