Anyone have a 455 Rancher with 16" Bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyGun

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Thinking about fixing up the 455 rancher with a 16" bar for a limbing saw now that I have a 372xp. Anyone here have a 16 inch bar on their 455? I am curious how well it balances considering it is somewhat of a hefty saw. My 372xp wears a 20 inch bar so I have no real need to have 2 saws with the same size bar, thus the reason for putting something smaller on my 455. I think a smaller bar would give the saw quite a bit more power as well.

If it were me, I would be looking at about a 28"-32" bar for the 372. If the 455 handles the 20" fine I would leave it alone, or look at dropping down to an 18" for it.

If you can handle the 455 the way it is, the weight difference between the bars I don't think will be noticeable, you will just be bending over more.....

I don't have a need for a bar that long. The bulk of my cutting is firewood (hardwoods) and I try to keep to the smaller more manageable sizes. The 20 inch bar balances out real nicely on the 372xp and is big enough for my needs. Biggest I would ever go for that saw would be a 24 inch bar. What I really need is something a little smaller and lighter for limbing work. I was thinking a 16 inch bar on the 455 rancher might do the trick, but I'm not sure if it will make it unbalanced. In a perfect world I would have a 346xp to replace the rancher, but the rancher is paid for soooo..........

Tommy...you just need another saw my brother :cheers: .

I have a 16" on my 340 and it's a great limbing saw, excellent balance and it's a good light setup. I know you said you want to stick with the two....but i'm learning fast there just isn't "two" saws.

Go for it!

I have a 16" bar I put on my 359 from time to time and it's a lot of fun. It looks kinda funny at first. It cuts much faster, has less teeth to sharpen, and is more manuevarable in fallen trees. I will warn you though. Even though it says 16", the bar only sticks out about 14-1/4" past the bucking spike. Hope this helps.

What chain are you running on your 455, 3/8" or .325?

If you have .325, I have a spare 16" bar and chain I would make you a good deal on. The bar is good, and I think the chain is about 1/2 to 3/4 life left.

Let me know

I have used the 455 with 16 and 20 inch bars (3/8) and have a 372bb. The 455 only wore the 16 inch bar then was sold because the weight and power difference was so noticeable. The bars are not interchangeable but the chains are got a good deal on 16 inch bars for the 372 and it is screamer with the 8 pin sprocket.

I have used the 455 with 16 and 20 inch bars (3/8) and have a 372bb. The 455 only wore the 16 inch bar then was sold because the weight and power difference was so noticeable. The bars are not interchangeable but the chains are got a good deal on 16 inch bars for the 372 and it is screamer with the 8 pin sprocket.

That must be almost as much fun as a 20" bar on my 3120...........
Sure makes short work of noodling big rounds.

attachment.php

So....did the 16" bar tend to make the saw unbalanced? Im thinking of getting a solid bar with the removable tip hoping that it will balance out nicely and also give the saw a little more power than with this 20 inch bar it came with.

How about trying a switch to 325? I ran a 18 3/8 on mine and it was ok but not great. If you would go 18 325 full chisel , I bet you would have power to spare! It will be kind of a heavy limbing saw but one thing about it , it should be a tough one, the 455 is a pretty tough saw for a non pro model!

Husky455rancher..... Hmmmmm.... you say you have a problem? I don't think your CAD has progressed to an advanced stage just yet... I don't see a Husky 3120 in your lineup. :)

Now I on the other hand was just recently diagnosed with the CAD soooo...... I have a little time to catch up to you. You know... now that I think of it, it would make sense to just purchase a 346xp instead of a 16 inch bar for the rancher. Yeah, I think that will do quite nicely sitting next to the 372. Of course I will have to keep the 455 just because.. maybe for a loaner saw. You know what I don't think I have this CAD thing...... :cheers:

Latest posts

Back