Anyone here drive a T6500 CABOVER? (25,500gvw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone here drives a big 25,500gvw t6500 cabover truck daily with a 14' body as their chipper truck, and how that would compare to driving my F450 with a 10' body daily.

I'm considering an upgrade. I'm not desperately in need yet, but it would be nice to have the extra space occasionally. Sometimes I'm running around in the city all day all over the place. The T6500 is a much heavier truck. Although I think the footprint would be nearly the same!

Thanks

Hi, wondering if anyone here drives a big 25,500gvw t6500 cabover truck daily with a 14' body as their chipper truck, and how that would compare to driving my F450 with a 10' body daily.

I had one for awhile. Theyre awesome trucks. Great for in the city as turning radius is better than some pickups. They can handle a lot of weight. What motor and tranny?

I'm considering an upgrade. I'm not desperately in need yet, but it would be nice to have the extra space occasionally. Sometimes I'm running around in the city all day all over the place. The T6500 is a much heavier truck. Although I think the footprint would be nearly the same!

Thanks

Well seems I have an option of two different motors. They come with either an Isuzu or a CAT motor, and I've heard all about the pros and cons of each. Overall I have concluded they can both be good motors and I would consider either if the specific truck was clean. Like I've heard the Isuzu's are quieter and can live longer, but the Cat's are easier to find a mechanic to work on. I would get one with an Automatic trans for all the city driving we do though.
Thing is I have a nice 2000 F450 7.3 powerstroke with a 10' Arbortech UTV arbor body/toolbox package that I drive at the moment that is in nice condition, and sometimes I'm whipping it around everywhere all day through the city. I'm wondering how much more precarious it would be to be driving a large T6500 w/ 14' body (same Arbortech UTV arbor/toolbox package bigger brother!) around the same way. In and through the city all day sometimes. I'm wondering if this truck would just be so much bigger and more nerve-wracking to drive around all day?

Well seems I have an option of two different motors. They come with either an Isuzu or a CAT motor, and I've heard all about the pros and cons of each. Overall I have concluded they can both be good motors and I would consider either if the specific truck was clean. Like I've heard the Isuzu's are quieter and can live longer, but the Cat's are easier to find a mechanic to work on. I would get one with an Automatic trans for all the city driving we do though.
Thing is I have a nice 2000 F450 7.3 powerstroke with a 10' Arbortech UTV arbor body/toolbox package that I drive at the moment that is in nice condition, and sometimes I'm whipping it around everywhere all day through the city. I'm wondering how much more precarious it would be to be driving a large T6500 w/ 14' body (same Arbortech UTV arbor/toolbox package bigger brother!) around the same way. In and through the city all day sometimes. I'm wondering if this truck would just be so much bigger and more nerve-wracking to drive around all day?

Nawww...you'll get used to it quick and being a cabover it will be perfect for the city. There's a reason why trucks in other countries are primarily cabovers in crowded cities. With the added capacity, it will be a big step up for your company.

The Isuzu is a far superior motor to the cat, but harder to find. Isuzu has removable piston liners and comes standard with an exhaust brake. Cat is parent bore. The chassis is actually a GM topkick with an Isuzu cab dropped on it.

The ultimate cabover for a forestry city truck would be an Isuzu FRR. 100% Isuzu, no junky topkick pieces. But they were rare in the day and haven't been imported since '03.

Yes it will turn as tight or tighter than the Ford. Stands much higher though. Getting away from V8 diesels (yes even a 7.3) and the Ford transmission would be a big plus in my book.

Nawww...you'll get used to it quick and being a cabover it will be perfect for the city. There's a reason why trucks in other countries are primarily cabovers in crowded cities. With the added capacity, it will be a big step up for your company.
Is it a pain in the ass getting in and out of? Like when trying to back into a tight driveway and you have to keep getting in and out of the truck to see exactly how close you are, to back it in someplace real tight!

The Isuzu is a far superior motor to the cat, but harder to find. Isuzu has removable piston liners and comes standard with an exhaust brake. Cat is parent bore. The chassis is actually a GM topkick with an Isuzu cab dropped on it.

The ultimate cabover for a forestry city truck would be an Isuzu FRR. 100% Isuzu, no junky topkick pieces. But they were rare in the day and haven't been imported since '03.

Yes it will turn as tight or tighter than the Ford. Stands much higher though. Getting away from V8 diesels (yes even a 7.3) and the Ford transmission would be a big plus in my book.

JFParnell, how can I tell if its got an exhaust brake? I'm looking at a few of these.
Btw, were you saying the Isuzu branded trucks themselves have the exhaust brake, or the trucks with the Isuzu motor in them...because I have see plenty of GMC and Chevy T6500's with Isuzu engines in them. I think either engine was an option from General Motors.

Thinking about it, you only got the exhaust brake with a manual transmission. On the Isuzus you moved the right stalk (headlamp switch) forward to enable the brake, switch on the throttle turns it on when you get off. I'm not sure if they ever came on a T series as I've never had a manual trans one. Six cylinder UD trucks are nice too. We happen to have a really good Japanese only truck dealer here. It would be challenging to own one of these without that resource.

Is it a pain in the ass getting in and out of? Like when trying to back into a tight driveway and you have to keep getting in and out of the truck to see exactly how close you are, to back it in someplace real tight!
Im 6'4" and can get in and out of one ok, i never have driven any distance in one, and. Wouldnt really want to as there wasnt much leg room for me, but i could if needed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Back