Anyone remember there first chainsaw ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I liked them so much I ended up with these,

IMG_1918.jpg

Home Depot special Ryobi ry10532 was the first saw I purchased in 2006. It's been been kicked, thrown, ate a lot of manzanita, and the stumps. I just replaced the piston and cylinder.

My first was a near mint mcculloch pro-Mac 10-10s. From way someone took care of it, it must have been their favorite saw. Until the flywheel broke and they sold it for scrap iron. A flywheel off another junk saw it roared to life. That was the saw that started the obsession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First saw that i worked with is my fathers Stihl 011 AVT. My first saw is a mcculloch titan 50.
My brother owns now my fathers Stihl because he is the Stihl guy and i have Sachs Dolmar CAD :pingpong:

A friend and I were helping a lady move across town. Think I was 16 at the time. Saw a chainsaw at a yard sale. Used all of my moving money and had to bum some more off my friend, but I bought it. 357xp, a bit beat up. Came with chaps, helmet, rubber boots, and a toolbag with files, grease gun, etc. for 150 bucks! That started a problem, if you can see my signature...

That 357xp survived my learning how to sharpen, learn how to do a few different repairs, tuning, an awful muffler mod, some freehand milling, bucking a 60" DBH Maple into firewood..... Thinking about freshening it up soon with a New case half, piston+ring, maybe a proper muffler mod this time.
Won't ever sell that one even though I don't run it much anymore.

My dad had one of those 55 ranchers while I was growing up, I thought it was the baddest saw ever cranked. But then I bought a 10mm 044 with a busted tank faded plastic and no badges. At the time I had no idea what it was except a $50 stihl. Long story short, I eventually got it running, and boy it cut like scalded ape. Been in love with saws ever since.

Mine was an ms361 about six years ago. I sold it a couple years back. Sometimes I wish I hadn't, but there's more of them around. I sold it to rationalize buying a 460, which I just sold to buy a different saw. Even after selling a couple, things still appear to have gotten out of control. Running a 20" bar with a nice low raker chain on the 460 cutting firewood made something click in my brain and I had to have a saw that was even bigger. And then a few smaller ones made sense too. My CAD is in remission for now, but it can be rough, and I'm sure it will be back...

Back in 80's I talked a neighbor out of a small homelite xl top handle. I was 14 at the time and there was a cow pasture behind my house.
I got the ok to cut on the fence row as long as I threw the tops back over the fence. so any tree I could get a 14" bar threw was in danger.
Now get the tree across the field and home was another challenge. Being a teenager I had no truck no tractor.
So the mighty rear engine snapper with a chain to the rescue. Those where fun days

first saw homie xl top handle
first bigger saw square red 3.7 craftsman
first stihl $25 yard sell s10 decent running
first poulan was a low hour non faded red 3700 pawn shop
first new saws I bought in 2005 husky 350 and a 359
first saw that made you say wow 362xp with modded big bore kit as a firewood cutter it just slings wood chips
I've kept cad under control however I like a strong fast saw

I still have every chain I ever bought, which is about 4 or 5. None are even remotely close to done yet. I've only firewooded for a few years though.

My first saw was a mini-Mac that I rescued from a junk pile at a saw shop.. I was 7 or close to 8 yrs. old at the time.

One of the techs helped me rebuild it. Took about two months but it turned out great. I had my fingers in it every step of the way during the rebuild.

Damn shop mistakenly sold it w/o knowing it was mine. That was 54 yrs. ago.

I'd pay a small King's ransom to have it back. :yes:

Mall OMG I bought when I was in college back in the '70's for $5 at an auction. I was offered $10 for it when I was loading up and turned it down. Still have that saw and 100's others I have bought since.

Latest posts

Back