Anyone using a Blaze King Princess?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
I'm buying an 1800sq ft house again after 3 or so years without being able to burn and if I decided to install a stove, I think I'm going cat this time. The only thing I didn't like about my Jotul Oslo is the small firebox. I think this princess has a larger one.

Ian

I'm buying an 1800sq ft house again after 3 or so years without being able to burn and if I decided to install a stove, I think I'm going cat this time. The only thing I didn't like about my Jotul Oslo is the small firebox. I think this princess has a larger one.

Ian

The princess has a 2.8 cubic foot firebox I think so it's reasonably large. One of my friends has one and they love it and are getting 18+ hour burn times with it right now.

That was my only complaint about the Oslo, if you wanted heat all night, you were getting up in 4 or 5 hours to feed it. You could shut it down and have coals in the morning, but waking up to a cold house was the tradeoff. Maybe this one will actually put heat out for 8-10.

That was my only complaint about the Oslo, if you wanted heat all night, you were getting up in 4 or 5 hours to feed it. You could shut it down and have coals in the morning, but waking up to a cold house was the tradeoff. Maybe this one will actually put heat out for 8-10.

During the dead of winter he's getting around 8-10+ hour burn times with no problem. Right now with it in the mid 40's he says he never turns it up hardly.

I hear ya, I don't even make that much in a year up here, and I like it that way .
I've had one for 3 years, it easily lasts over night with spruce on lowest settings. Crank it all the way up and it will burn through wood faster. I really like it, don't think I'd go back to a non-cat. Way more even heat cycle. Use Dry Wood.

On a 12 hour burn with hardwood for example. What is the cruising temp? Been debating one as an insert. I have an nc30 witht the legs cut short and half way Into my fireplace. But the nc30 has to hit 700+ to keep us warm under 15 ish F outside

My neighbour has a Princess BK. 8 grand installed! She seems to be happy with the burn time.
She was robbed dude. The princess is right around 2800 off the shelf and the king is like 3200. I think Im going to get a king before next year.

Being in Kentuckey I would think you could get away with a smaller model... do you guys really need that much heat down there? Drafty house maybe? The Ashford and Chinook are fairly close in size to the princess and I think are a little cheaper. They both have better emmission ratings vs the Princess which is interesting.

On a 12 hour burn with hardwood for example. What is the cruising temp? Been debating one as an insert. I have an nc30 witht the legs cut short and half way Into my fireplace. But the nc30 has to hit 700+ to keep us warm under 15 ish F outside
Sorry, don't have much experience with hardwoods in a BK Princess, but with a full load to only get a 12 hour burn, you would be running her pretty hot.

Sorry, don't have much experience with hardwoods in a BK Princess, but with a full load to only get a 12 hour burn, you would be running her pretty hot.
Well, I know my current stove has to get 700-900*F to maintain my house at the desired temp when its that cold out and I burn hard wood. Yes, I've seen my stove with a faint deep blood-red glow in spots so, I'm interested to see how the BK stoves handles this kind of demand and how long the burn times last also. I'd be tickled to get 12 hour burn times at that demand.

Being in Kentuckey I would think you could get away with a smaller model... do you guys really need that much heat down there? Drafty house maybe? The Ashford and Chinook are fairly close in size to the princess and I think are a little cheaper. They both have better emmission ratings vs the Princess which is interesting.

My other house was about 1750sq ft on two levels and of recent construction. The Oslo wanted about 500ish on the stove top thermometer to keep the 1st floor like I wanted, mid 70s. Of course a lot of the heat went upstairs which was basically unused, so there was heat loss there. This new house is 1800 on one level and is also of recent construction. The "max" claimed rating on the Oslo is 70k btu. The Princess doesn't claim a max but says it's rated to maintain 41Kbtu output for 10 hours and says 1200-2500sq ft. It's not really the max heat output I'm looking at but rather a long burn time.

I'll have a look at the smaller stoves and see how they stack up for burn time while putting heat out.

I heat my place with a Princess. No trouble keeping ~1400 Sq ft warm even down to -25*. I usually burn 3-3.25 cords a year. I burn a mix of poplar, birch, and spruce.

Price was around 5k installed. The stove was about 3000, the rest was piping and labor.

I heat my place with a Princess. No trouble keeping ~1400 Sq ft warm even down to -25*. I usually burn 3-3.25 cords a year. I burn a mix of poplar, birch, and spruce.

Price was around 5k installed. The stove was about 3000, the rest was piping and labor.
What's the worst burn time you get with soft woods in the coldest part of the winter?

Looks like sourcing one of those in Kentucky is going to be a challenge. Their dealer search is limited to a 75 mile radius, so you can't tell it to just show all the Kentucky dealers. I've read that the prices east of the Miss are considerably higher than the west coast too.

Looks like sourcing one of those in Kentucky is going to be a challenge. Their dealer search is limited to a 75 mile radius, so you can't tell it to just show all the Kentucky dealers. I've read that the prices east of the Miss are considerably higher than the west coast too.

Depending on your location in KY, might check out these. I bought my stove there close to 20 yrs ago and they're still in business.

http://www.eastwoodstove.net/wood.html

Latest posts

Back