Arborist liscense, is it worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rules and regs. whats that?

treeco,clearance,treejunkie, i love it,keep it going. as for me i like to run stop signs,re-fill my coke again at the taco bell without paying, work without proper lisc. or insurance , hire undocumented day laborers,dont report for jury duty,only hire subs willing to work on weekends without a permit or lisc.. and spiking trees is my specialty! actually dont do any tree work,just thought i would throw that in. also dont like spell check.
in reallity i conform to all rules and regs. straight as an arrow,yep thats the ticket!

I've only ever reported 2 people to those organizations I listed.

1) landscraper out of CT who was being a prick when it came time to get paid. (CTPA)

2) landscraper in my area who is just a complete sack of ????. (IRS, OSHA, DEC) His fat ass deserves whatever it gets.

RandyS said:
From a purely monetary standpoint is getting the arborist license worth it? What has it allowed you to accomplish and if you don't have it do you think it's a big hindrance?
How hard it is to obtain?
Thank you.
it is not easy if you plan on doing anything in ct thats not a removal it is required.

ct license

wow there is a lot here. the license is worth it and as clearance will agree its not easy like the isa... . it has been around a while its nothing new. other states have them as well nj ma . and the state doesnt want anybody saying they are an arborist if they are not. again ,for removals no license is needed j

Re: Connecticut Arborist's License

Actually, the license is offered by the state of Connecticut. Without it, you could face fines of $1500 per day for doing tree work (pruning, cabling) illegally, or $2500 per day for pesticide applications. The test is quite challenging, much harder than the ISA test. It consists of 3 parts. A multiple choice, an identification, and an oral part (where you are tested by 2 experts on anything dealing with arboriculture). If you fail a certain part you may have to start the whole process all over again. VERY challenging. Only about 60% of the people who try to obtain it wind up succeeding. I have one, but I had to study very hard for it. One of the hardest tests I've taken in my lifetime (and I have a Doctorate in Agriculture). Good luck to anyone who goes for it. Contact me if you want any guidance.

State governed. Here in Louisiana, you need (1.)a minimum insurance policy(liability/property damage), (2.)a minimum insurance policy(personal health), (3.)Arborist certification, (4.)pass a rules and regulations test,(5.)attend certified Arborist classes. (6.)After you have paid for these tests and insurances, THEN you can pay for a license to work on the trees here.
No tree work allowed over 15 feet up with out these things, or risk getting shut down, confiscated, fined big money, and even jail time.
Enough healthy or savable trees lost here already.

Sounds tough in Louisianna. Here in Connecticut, the Arborist license is only good for trees over 15 ft tall. You need to obtain the Connecticut Ornamental and Turf license to take care of small trees and bushes. Exam similar (multiple choice, with identification, then an oral, given by three people at once) (and of same difficulty!) as the Arborist licensing exam. I was blown away by the difficulty of the 2 exams, but succeeded in getting both last summer.

Sounds tough in Louisianna. Here in Connecticut, the Arborist license is only good for trees over 15 ft tall. You need to obtain the Connecticut Ornamental and Turf license to take care of small trees and bushes. Exam similar (multiple choice, with identification, then an oral, given by three people at once) (and of same difficulty!) as the Arborist licensing exam. I was blown away by the difficulty of the 2 exams, but succeeded in getting both last summer.

So now that you're all licensed up, are you actually any good at treework??

I think I'm quite good at diagnosing problems and applying the appropriate remedies (e.g. pesticides, nutritional deficiencies, soil amendments, recommending appropriate physical approaches (cabling, lightning installation, pruning)), to improve a tree's health, but I'll leave the takedowns to others such as you.

I think I'm quite good at diagnosing problems and applying the appropriate remedies (e.g. pesticides, nutritional deficiencies, soil amendments, recommending appropriate physical approaches (cabling, lightning installation, pruning)), to improve a tree's health, but I'll leave the takedowns to others such as you.

So you climb and do pruning, but don't do takedowns?

What part of CT are you in?

Most of my time has been spent as an integrated pest management technician, but I have done some work as a groundsman and a bit of bucket work. Would like to learn to climb though. I am in Fairfield County, CT.

Most of my time has been spent as an integrated pest management technician, but I have done some work as a groundsman and a bit of bucket work. Would like to learn to climb though. I am in Fairfield County, CT.

You should learn to climb! With all that other stuff out of the way, you're already ahead of the game. I'm up in litchfield county. :cheers:

Back