Arborist Rigging Pistol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpeg image.jpeg And don't be thinkin ARP's ain't real pistols!

There are ARP apps!

That kick like a 12 gauge!

Jomoco

image.jpeg image.jpeg Apparently Kevlar cord has the best heat resistance characteristics of all the cords, but very poor shock load resistance.

However the Kev cord I wanna test's rated for 780 lbs, and stuff I wanna lower'll come nowhere near that.

Still under 2 lbs here sans handle, reel n magnets.

Jomoco

image.jpeg Well I tore the ARP 9's braking mech apart and replaced it with an improved version. It works well enough on light stuff under 50 lbs now, but nothing heavier. Makes for a great line setting tool, and as a passive lowering line retrieval tool when I'm doing conventional lowering with a block n bull line, way out on laterals far from the COG.

The ARP 10's getting close to being finished, a few more magnets n doodads and it'll be ready for testing. The reel holds over 120 feet of 1.8 mm Kevlar cord rated at 750 lbs. twice what the ARP 9's reel can hold. Once the ARP 10's been drilled out for weight reduction I believe it'll weigh in at less than 3 lbs, two lbs lighter than the ARP 9, despite being bigger n longer.

Won't be long now until I can have enough confidence in both the ARP's performance n reliability to shoot a few vids of them in action.

Jomoco

image.jpeg This poor bloke suffers from the same disease I do!

Constantly stealing from Mother!

I built a pair of moon boots in the late 90's outta two pogo sticks modified and fitted to motoX boots.

It's a strange sensation to run taking fifteen to twenty foot strides, being able to jump over cars n boulders.

And yes, I wore a helmet n full motoX regalia on serious runs.

Jomoco

image.jpeg Well today was a milestone in busting ARP development barriers!

Having cracked thick roof tiles due to the ARP 9's inability to brake a 50 lb log with two fingers?

I tuned into my moto-X background of leveraged stopping power with two fuggin fingers.

But to overcome dyneema cord's extreme susceptibility to heat failure?

Meant going to Kevlar cord with a heat tolerance up to 900 degrees Fahrenheit!

The point being that I can now brake in excess of 100 lbs in my left catching hand, and lower it gently to the ground, using only two fingers on the braking lever.

Aithough the ARP Ten cannot yet brake my entire 200 lb climbing weight?

A few more easily engineered friction points will, utilizing this design, with Kevlar cord, up to 150 feet of it!

Almost a year's worth of prototyping and testing, and still not quite there yet, but close.

The only means of understanding how seemingly impervious Kevlar is to heat?

Is buying some 1/8 inch cord rated at 750 lbs and trying to melt the end with a lighter, or even cut it with a sharp pair of scissors.

Fuggin ****'s unbelievably tough from any aspect except..............shock loading, which ain't gonna happen, with small sub-100 lb loads lowered nice n easy.

Jomoco

Doing as much solo work as I do?

The idea of a constant tension connecter, that'll release automatically once tension's released upon hitting the ground?

Seems quite doable, IMO.

Stay tuned folks!

Jomoco

image.jpeg The latter Chip.

The original ARP 7 was just an easily attachable branch handle, for catching it in your left hand, swinging it over the LZ, and pulling the trigger, which cuts the cord releasing the branch, and costing 3 inches of cord.

But this here ARP 10's a true multipurpose tool.

An attachable n detachable branch handle eliminating unwanted torquing action on your wrist.

A climbline placement tool, like a big shot, but far more compact.

A small branch/log lowering tool with over 100 feet of line.

A passive lowering line retrieval tool when way out away from the block's COG.

A means of getting water or refueling trimsaws.

An emergency escape tool

A heavy fuggin duty fishin pole.

The lucky seven!

And I'm just one sprang away from field testing the dang thang aloft!

Jomoco

So practically speaking is it something you plan to carry on special occasion for that one leader/branch that goes over a house or is far from the drop zone, or do you plan on it being on your harness whenever aloft.

I didn't have the heart to chitcan the aluminum ARP 9 for costin me a day's pay!

It was my fault for not designing it right before gettin cocky in the first place.

That Hurst shifter on it has the best grip n feel outta all of them, but the shifter even drilled weighs too much!

I expect that once I get all the bugs outta this design, drill it out, give the brake 10 points of friction insteada 5?

The ARP 10'll weigh only 3 Lbs, compared to the 9's 5 lbs, despite being considerably larger and holding far more cord.

We shall see!

Jomoco

So practically speaking is it something you plan to carry on special occasion for that one leader/branch that goes over a house or is far from the drop zone, or do you plan on it being on your harness whenever aloft.

Way too early to say Chip.

I'm a minimalist climber, who cracks up at the field day seminars out here, done by east coast climbers wearin everything but the kitchen sink on their saddles!

You better be strong to drag all that **** around!

Jomoco

Way too early to say Chip.

I'm a minimalist climber, who cracks up at the field day seminars out here, done by east coast climbers wearin everything but the kitchen sink on their saddles!

You better be strong to drag all that **** around!

Jomoco
I'd say you'll have to be if you put that battery pack on your back :laugh:.

Back