Archer Saw chain, made in Australia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look forward to your comments and impressions!

Philbert

Jakmax in Australia have been going hard on Archer over the last few months. The latest GV Evo2 Chinese chain isn't actually too bad and I'd near guarantee that Archer will be as good or better.

OK guys. I gave a 76DL loop of the Archer .404" .063" semi chisel and a 20" loop of their 3/8" .063" semi chisel a run.
Very impressed.
Their .404" is without a doubt some of the nicest .404" I've run.
Holds an edge well and due to the oil groove in the drivelink it oils brilliantly. This was in some dead, dirty, and rock hard Sugar Gum as well.

Ordered a couple of loops of 3/8 , 063 RM chain from my local Stihl dealer last week. When I went to pick them up they said "we made you some Archer loops instead of Sthil chain, Stihl chain is way to expensive now". They just put up their prices, its now $0.80 per DL ....when will it stop.
Haven't tried it out yet but I will be interested to see how it performs and how hard it is to file. I'm hoping its not as hard as Carlton chain but harder than Oregon.
I'll be cutting old hard dry Iron bark so it will be tested in true Aussie conditions.

Stihl have priced themselves out of the market. They are honestly beyond a joke now. Their RRP per drivelink is $1.10 now in Australia. The worst thing is that their pricing has elevated Husky and Oregon pricing too so they're all jumping on the bandwagon. Nothing short of a rort.
You'll be happy with this Archer chain mate. I've run a lot of Chinese chain over the years and this is the best I've tried.

About AU$0.41 per DL is the best I can find for Stihl chain. Am happy with that.

Seriously $1.10 per DL that's a joke are people going to put up with that.
Not a big fan of supporting Chinese but I guess its an Aussie company. Wouldn't think there would be much labour in making chain. So the big guys would be making okay margins on this stuff. That said I did see Blount did $220M in sales and only made about $10M profit in 2015 I think it was. Not that big an industry really.

Kiwibro you blokes have got it good. I was over there a few weeks ago, if I'd know how much cheaper things there I'd have brought my loops then.
Although the Archer chain was cheaper again.

Seriously $1.10 per DL that's a joke are people going to put up with that.
Not a big fan of supporting Chinese but I guess its an Aussie company. Wouldn't think there would be much labour in making chain. So the big guys would be making okay margins on this stuff. That said I did see Blount did $220M in sales and only made about $10M profit in 2015 I think it was. Not that big an industry really.

Kiwibro you blokes have got it good. I was over there a few weeks ago, if I'd know how much cheaper things there I'd have brought my loops then.
Although the Archer chain was cheaper again.
Nah mate, we have it pretty **** here as far as Stihl costs goes. It all has to come in from overseas direct for us to get any good pricing. Even then, there are a few road blocks Stihl HQ can put in the way.

I bought a couple of 25ft rolls of GB evo11 in .404 for $60- a roll. I must say it ain't too bad at all, very similar to Carlton .404 semi chisel. I have just recently also tried Typhoon 3/8 .063 and have been impressed too. I find the China chain stretches a bit but some of it has been great chain regardless of cost.

Thanks Philbert, i forgot to watch that vid until you reminded me. It is quite labour intensive.
I use to make press tools like that 20 years ago as an apprentice. Sadly virtually nothing is manufactured in Australia anymore. Heard the Chinese government is trying to set up businesses in every industry so they can be fully self sufficient from the western world with in five years. That includes copying airbus and boeing aircraft, high tec medical devices like heart pace makers. You name it they hey will make it, I suspect it will mainly be for their domestic market though.

OK guys. I gave a 76DL loop of the Archer .404" .063" semi chisel and a 20" loop of their 3/8" .063" semi chisel a run.
Very impressed.
Their .404" is without a doubt some of the nicest .404" I've run.
Holds an edge well and due to the oil groove in the drivelink it oils brilliantly. This was in some dead, dirty, and rock hard Sugar Gum as well.

It all comes down to the chrome plating,thats the key to holding an edge.

Watching that vid of them making the chain and I'll I can think about is "What a cute little upstart."

Maybe they get better, but they are making loops, not bulk chain, and putting it together by hand! Even with cheap labor that is a really expensive way to make chain.

The outfeed on the presses needed hand raking to keep the parts moving. They ground the cutters before assembly. Then they assemble the chain by hand on turn tables. Next they test each chain by hand.

The output of that factory might be a couple thousand chains a day at most.

Id say this vid was put togeather by the marketing department, it would be carefully stage managed to try and give a perception of quality. Theres no way they'ed be testing each loop over the nose radius of a bar.

Latest posts

Back