Archer Saw chain, made in Australia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks more automated?

(Great video! - Thanks!)

Philbert

Yes, the multi step hand assembly in the Archer video is replaced by a single (very complex) machine in the Stihl video.

Local Connection

The US Sales office for Archer is listed as Columbia, South Carolina. It turns out that the US distributor is located 14 miles from my house (!!!). So I had to make a courtesy call the other day. They don't have a retail outlet, but they let me stop by to chat a little. Lots of rolls and loops of chain (it always looks so pretty when it is new), along with guide bars, sprocket noses, screnches, wedges, brush cutter blades, etc., along with the Fast-Filer guide http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/fast-filer-chain-filing-guide.298686/

Sales are mostly through eBay right now under the name 'archerplus'. Might be some plans for wholesale sales down the road?

Philbert

It all comes down to steel quality! Without the proper base material, all else is useless.

That's true but the chrome is what holds an edge. You can have the best base material on the planet but with poor chrome plating it's useless. No point having Jap steel with poor Chinese chrome plating!

The Fast Filer looks interesting, but after reading your thread I don't think I'll try one simply because we run so much skip and semi-skip chain.

Was looking for 1 loop of 3/8 .050 84DL Chisel and Archer was best price at $19 but Oregon 72LGX was only $21.45. I'll stay with Oregon for so little a price difference.
Has anyone tried their tie straps/presets? I don't see them for sale like you do chains and bars on ebay.

I tried two 20" loops 3/8 full chisel and I will be not be getting anymore of it.The cutters are alot wider than oregon and stihl chain making a very wide cut,thus taking more power and cuts slower

I just ordered a roll of 3/8". $209 shipped. Oregon runs us about $400 a roll.

They only list chisel full comp for 3/8", no skip or semi chisel. I emailed to see about it.

I just ordered a roll of 3/8". $209 shipped. Oregon runs us about $400 a roll.

They only list chisel full comp for 3/8", no skip or semi chisel. I emailed to see about it.

They do 3/8 semi and full chisel and in skip sequence too. It's taken a few months for it all to come on line. They do full chisel 3/8 picco in .043 and .050 but the .043 isn't narrow kerf like it should be but is the same tooth as a .050 chain but on a .043 drive link making it only slightly narrower

We carry the 3/8" full chisel skip but happen to be sold out at the moment but more is in transit about 3 weeks out, we will let you know when it arrives.

We will have 3/8" .050 semi-chisel in the not too distance future but don't have an eta at this time. Thank you for the message

3/8 FC

0db29568177c50f7d8ba8713118f398a.jpg

cac5ee564ecfdcfabd7eb0b6d6cc7577.jpg

3/8p FC .050
a92b543f99529d79cc801ee77aef4a24.jpg
7ca28ffc27e260e7452d7148014dcf02.jpg

3/8p .043
20e546d1db47d882412f772fec4b7b60.jpg
afb3eeb4d9009f98c068d875f8a12eb1.jpg

As you can see the .043 is not narrow kerf but does use a .043 drive link not a shouldered down .050 so it will be slightly narrower but not much. I have seen a loop of near new 3/8 sc come through the shop on a 039 18", near new bar and new sprocket and the bottom of the tie straps are already knocked around so it will be interesting to see its over all durability. It's not 'out of the box' sharp like stihl RS is and the 3/8p fc has a big hook so I suspect the edge will knock of quick so it will be interesting to see how it goes. I have so many half uses loops that I don't really want to start any more new chains

So have used some of the full chisel 3/8lp on my 241. After 3 tanks and 2 sharpens I think it will be out of adjustment by the time half the tooths gone. I have only adjust the depth gauges at the last sharpen, they are set aggressive from factory. I don't really rate this chain at all. Standard 63pm cuts better and now with out chain pricing dropping significantly in OZ I'll be sticking with that

Been running it here for a while. I can't tell a difference between it and Oregon chain. Still chain is better, but at $30+ a loop, I'm not buying it.

My bud bought a 24 inch Archer bar for his Dolmar 6400 and he told me it wouldn't go on his saw without some grinding and filing. He said the tail was too long and needed trimmed. I don't know why he didn't send it back.

Back