Archer Saw chain, made in Australia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess a bush plane from sunrise to sunset is a little expensive for "swift completion of their appointed rounds". Wouldn't want to pay that delivery charge to the bush at actual cost!

I live maybe 3 miles from town/the post office.

We have been using Archer chain for a little while. Had one loop come back with a broken driver, though the customer seems to kill chain very quickly.
Guessing you see chainsaws that are construction saws frequently when off the grid...mix that with salvaged wood and timbers and easy to see some gnarled chains after hitting nails, spikes, bolts and screws.

Made about 12 cuts with the white box 100' roll of tri-link chain and it worked great so far. Decent size ash tree that was over 32''...so far im impressed and plan on cutting more to see how fast it dulls...used a jonsered 2094 with 32'' total super bar

Made about 12 cuts with the white box 100' roll of tri-link chain and it worked great so far. Decent size ash tree that was over 32''...so far im impressed and plan on cutting more to see how fast it dulls...used a jonsered 2094 with 32'' total super bar
Dang! You beat me to it...been shut in with pneumonia for last week and a half. Glad to hear that it did not stretch 6 inches, snap and take your leg off like some naysayers claim...lol. Of which, likely never ran a saw more that a few hrs a year. Was it still making big clean chips after those cuts?

Not chain related but for a package one post office will just put a slip in the mailbox and you have to go to the post office during business hours, perhaps wait for a passport customer to get your package. Other will drive up the driveway turn around get out and put the package by the door.

s
Dang! You beat me to it...been shut in with pneumonia for last week and a half. Glad to hear that it did not stretch 6 inches, snap and take your leg off like some naysayers claim...lol. Of which, likely never ran a saw more that a few hrs a year. Was it still making big clean chips after those cuts?

yes, the last cut i made was across the stump and they were still fat. I cut for a living so im cutting almost daily for hours and hand file everything which really teaches you how to appreciate a sharp chain and do your best not to dull it up (sometimes it happens and sometimes theres no way around it) but i mainly do bucket work with a 201t with a 12'' bar and ms290 with an 18'' bar. The 290 is a ripper with a small bar and is wonderous in the bucket...love the jonsered 2094 for big wood its a hog that just gets it done quick and easy

split 6 cords today and cut everything with the same chain...hit a small rock that was stuck in the bark and sharpened the chain for the first time...used a new file to get the edge back and it cut great with no issues that i can tell...it got muddy and im glad i hit a rock with this chain and not a stihl chain...id rather sharpen a $10 one after hitting a rock than one that cost $25

split 6 cords today and cut everything with the same chain...hit a small rock that was stuck in the bark and sharpened the chain for the first time...used a new file to get the edge back and it cut great with no issues that i can tell...it got muddy and im glad i hit a rock with this chain and not a stihl chain...id rather sharpen a $10 one after hitting a rock than one that cost $25
So much for Archer/Chinese chain being poor quality. Glad to hear definitive proof that, at least the early white box Archer/Tri Link, performs well in all aspects...stretch, initial sharpness, edge retention....thanks! Did you hit it with a file or grinder? If you used a file, how would you rate the resharpening ease or what brand would it compare to?

So much for Archer/Chinese chain being poor quality.
Actually, one of the concerns with 'third party' chain quality is consistency: how it holds up from one loop / batch to another. Consistency can be hard to maintain if a manufacturer changes steel suppliers, does not have good QA / QC processes, etc.

@John Lerum's report is positive, but it would be helpful to hear from more users, and over time.

Philbert

Actually, one of the concerns with 'third party' chain quality is consistency: how it holds up from one loop / batch to another. Consistency can be hard to maintain if a manufacturer changes steel suppliers, does not have good QA / QC processes, etc.

@John Lerum's report is positive, but it would be helpful to hear from more users, and over time.

Philbert
John's chain is from the same shipment as the roll I ordered which is discontinued as Archer has their own Chinese plant now. My primary concern is the quality of the chain John and I received so, I'm very happy.

it sharpened easily but i used a new file and didnt wait for it to be destroyed before i sharpened it...its definitely not as hard as stihl chain, stihl chain is a lot harder to sharpen when its damaged by a rock or metal...the tri link is softer but it keeps the edge for awhile and it was kinda nice not having to work so hard to fix it up...i hand sharpened it with a round file...we have a grinder but swivel pin keeps sliding out...i do like the grinder for the bigger chain but usually have to hand file on site. only had to tighten the chain twice and thats usually caused by getting a slight pinch...most chains stay fairly tight for awhile. i think a lot of stretch happens from getting that slight pinch when youre almost through the log then pulling the saw out stretching the chain

i have 2 rolls but im sure its all from the same batch of steel.

if i can get a loop on my 200t and use it in the bucket id get a better idea of how sharp it stays...i can usually cut for over a week depending on the work load, tree type and condition(dead or alive) until i feel like i need a new edge on the top handle saw

not saying its gold just saying its not junk and if you keep it sharp and away from things that dull a saw it will cut a lot of wood with no problems....i cut two large logs with crotches in half between the crotch and it cut the same speed and pulled big noodles...its good chain and i used a 32'' bar and 94cc saw

John's chain is from the same shipment as the roll I ordered which is discontinued as Archer has their own Chinese plant now. My primary concern is the quality of the chain John and I received so, I'm very happy.

8 more boxes online for $149 shipped each

Just my two bits worth,
At Our Saw Shop over the last 8 months we have sold around 180 loops majority being 3/8 semi and chisel,had 4 returned due to breakage various reasons for that,but gave the customer's the benefit of doubt and just gave them a new chain all good.
These chains have stood up extremely well to the harsh conditions and customers remarked on how little they stretch (wear) compared to the top dogs chains.

Dry ,dusty Australian hardwood is a good test for any chain brand and the feedback is very positive. Some of our Pro wood cutters are getting on average 60 cubic meters of fire wood out of a chain.,we also sell the Archer bar and chain combos and have had overall good comments on those and being that we've become a throw away society these more affordable bars and chains are the Ducks Guts for many.
The only real negatives came from a few novices who are probably better at operating a Mobile phone than a chainsaw but in saying that we all had to learn one way or another.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Dang, come work for me. 6 cords in a day?! Ive done it before, but it's a long day, and that was me and 2 workers.

Philbert

On roll #2 of the stuff, so far only one customer come back, broke the loop at a driver.

On roll #2 of the stuff, so far only one customer come back, broke the loop at a driver.
Pinch...Yank...Twist...Snap!!! LOL Maybe you should include a "Don't Get Pinched" instruction card and complimentary wedge with each loop! Hopefully those same fellas don't keep your local ER busy with kickbacks!

Pinch...Yank...Twist...Snap!!! LOL Maybe you should include a "Don't Get Pinched" instruction card and complimentary wedge with each loop! Hopefully those same fellas don't keep your local ER busy with kickbacks!

Not too sure what he does. I know he seems to kill bars and drive sprockets regularly. Often enough we stock those Poulan parts JUST for his saw.

Back