Are dead Ash Trees still infectious?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohioguychris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First time post here. Looking for any insight if dead Ash Trees are still infectious that have died from the Emerald Ash Borer Beetle. I love burning ash firewood in my wood burner but also have several Ash Trees on my property. Don't want them to get infected if i utilize the dead wood. I know the trees have been dead for several years and "most" of the bark is already gone or falling off. Thanks in advance.

ABSOLUTELY!

Firewood is a primary transportation method for Emerald Ash Borers.

In your case, the Borers are already there, so you might as well burn the wood in place.

If it got some of the ash trees on your property, you can safely assume it got 'em all. Just give them a year or two - some individual trees are more vigorous than others, but without extensive treatment prior to and contemporaneous with infection, they're all going to die. So burn up the dead ones, and prepare to drop and burn the others in due course.

Thankfully EAB does not Infect or Disease trees, like Dutch Elm Disease does. Living trees cut down over past year, contain EAB from June till borers exit to mate by next years May. After that period, dead wood no longer contains living borers. During that time, wood must be shredded under an inch in chip size. Properly treated trees kill all borers.

Back