Are drive link shapes standardized?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwiz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding Carlton chain locally (South Kansas City). I'm looking for A1 3/8 because that's what I been using and dealer says my carlton depth gauge will not work quite the same on other brands(we'll get to that later). I've had an olympyk saw forever, but now have a Husky 261 as well. The drive sprocket on the olympyks looks like a star, the sprocket on the Husky (for lack of better description) looks like the water wheel from an old saw mill. Do the two sprockets drive the same chain? I've had Carlton and Oregon chain in the past which has the pointed driver with the rounded notch in the front of it. The Husky came with Stihl chain, and I've seen comments here about Stihl just having to be different. The Stihl chain doesn't have the smooth rounded notch in front; it's somewhat squared off in the middle and almost has a little bump in the middle. Do these sprockets and chains all interchange?
I'm asking so if I go buy a different brand of chain do I just concern myself with getting 3/8 at .050 and the correct number of drive links?
Thanks
James

Back