Are fire bricks necesarry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in the slightest. In a properly designed stove, as opposed to a big vacant box, the hot gases are routed from the firebox, under the top from front to rear (giving off much heat also to internally exposed sides), then up and out at the rear. Or something similar. You most definitely want "more head trapped in the stove FIREBOX."

In my little Morso, it's possible to have the front of the top at 750 F and the smokepipe just above the stove at 300 F, then 220 F two feet further away. See the picture? As hot as possible for combustion efficiency, THEN work on dumping the heat. Organized schizophrenia?

It burns so completely that outside, downwind, you can barely pick up the scent.

Yep

My Comfort stove has 7 bricks across the top of the fire box that holds the gasses and heat in; I didn't know the difference till I replaced some cracked bricks and changed the door gasket how much heat I was losing

ok, do those same principles apply to an indoor wood furnace then too? or just free standing stoves? maybe thats where im getting mixed up?

I don't know some of the more modern small and larger wood stoves have various types of heat diffusion along with from simple and to more sophisticated venting. For tiny wood stoves prices range from around ~$500.00 to over a ~$1000.00. Targeted markets are people with small cabins, RV's, tiny homes, boats, etc.

All the indoor and indoor / outdoor stoves I've looked at use firebricks where some have double wall construction. Some come with an ash box where ones without an ash box, you usually need to let the fire die down in order to remove ash to make room for more wood. This can be a problem if you constantly need make room inside the stove when adding wood every ~2 hours or so.

The ones without firebricks usually cost much less and normally are rated as outdoor stoves designed for tents, etc.

However some of much older smaller stoves never used firebricks and have been reported to work very well, claimed to be better than many of the modern ones with firebricks.

One person with three small wood stoves replaced the firebricks with 1.5" cast iron pipe and claim he burns half the amount of wood than with the firebricks installed. Says with firebricks the stove internally burns more wood and hotter where more heat goes up the flue, thus more wood is required to maintain stove heat output.

Firebricks do provide insulation and normally allow a stove to burn hotter internally. I'm not certain about a ratio to the amount of fuel required, heat output and time (duration).

Firebricks are necessary for burning fuel such as coal but not normally required for wood fuel.

When I got my vc defiance they guy that restored it put firebrick in the bottom, cut and cemented in, I ripped them all out. Was actually blocking the return tubes for the gas to come back into the camber to reburn. And to whoever asked about if it's worth it to rebuild them, yes it is. My farther inlaw rebuild his defiance last year and it made a huge difference, but did cost around 500 in parts.

Latest posts

Back