Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Are FOP really progressive depth raker generators?

Discussion in 'Chain Sharpening' started by BobL, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Ranchers-son

Ranchers-son ArboristSite Member

BobL I have a problem/question I lowered my RA to 6* my TPFA is 25* My chain no longer makes a wide enough cut and and drags so much it overheats the chain in two cuts 18" burr oak Stalled the saw to. Thought it was cutting too aggressive until I tried to pull out and it stalled in open cut. I was cutting cookies so their were no external forces on the log. What could cause this? I've learned a lot about sharpening from your post but the more I learn the less I seem to know!

2. Ranchers-son

Ranchers-son ArboristSite Member

Never mind OPERATOR ERROR! I had hand filed this chain 3 or 4 times, switched to a chain sharpened with grandburg ( which I do every 3 or 4 filing) and cuts great. Looked closely and seen that my TPFA was rounded, not as good as I thought I was!

BobL and Philbert like this.
  3. Wiersy111

Wiersy111 ArboristSite Lurker

Wow is all I can say. I can't free file worth a crap but my son gets em extremely sharp. I think it's his form of OCD. He can't stand to watch me file so he just takes over which doesn't bother me especially on the 36" bars. Now I am going to take what I have learned here and sneak a few chains in on him and see if he notices. I'm sure it will take some trial and error to get all this down pat. Thanks BobL!

Ranchers-son likes this.
  4. SeMoTony

SeMoTony Addicted to ArboristSite

Thanx Bobl for what my buddy is looking for that is beyond my ability to adequately articulate to him

5. SawTroll

SawTroll Information Collector

I know this is an old post, but as the thread still is active, I comment on it anyway.

That method may well work, if you are taking the correct measurement, meaning that you need to be precise about what "gullet width" is. I assume you really refer to the distance between the top of the raker and the "point" of the cutter).

Regardless, a major inherent problem with the raker guides that rest on two cutters remain though - a good result depends all the cutters being exactly the same length/height (which is ideal, but not very practical).

SeMoTony likes this.