Are these cool looking slabs of value

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Jones

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i ran across some pretty cool looking white pine today. Can someone tell me if they are worth anything? The larger one is 52"wide and the other is 35" wide. Both are atleast 4 inches thick.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 110
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
I would say not much value as is. You can find White Pine just about anywhere. They tend not to check much, but rot fast. If you made some nice 3 legged tables out of them the finished product might catch someones eye, Joe.

I agree with rarefish that they are not worth much.
The price pretty much depends on the buyer.
An inner city artist or craft worker with no country cousin connections is likely to pay more for them.
You are much more likely to sell them if they are turned into something.

It's pretty dry. I think the guy said its been dead for 8-10 years. What would make it crack?

Moisture in wood escapes(guess you'd say that) the quickest through the end grain, so when you cut a tree down moisture tries to escape fast through the end grain which causes it to check/crack. Don't know the exact reason but they seem to always crack real bad starting in the pith. To help prevent checking/cracking, you seal the end grain so the moisture is released slowly, of course that doesn't always work but it helps. If you cleaned them up a little I'd say they'd sell but not for a whole lot, if you're a woodworker, I'd wait until they're dry and make them into coffee tables or something then sell them. Even though it's just pine, they're pretty cool looking.

What I want to do eventually that I saw another woodworker do is use a cookie like that, from a tree that's at least 100 years old, the older the better. Count the growth rings and inlay certain dates through history, WWI, WWII, turn of the century, stuff like that just to give perspective of actually how old the tree was.

Much to my surprise, a dealer bought them from us for $100 a pc. He said he had a table top maker that would love them. Without that, they probably would have burnt real nice in my back yard.....lol.

What makes a piece of wood special? What should I look for?

Much to my surprise, a dealer bought them from us for $100 a pc. He said he had a table top maker that would love them. Without that, they probably would have burnt real nice in my back yard.....lol.

With that sale I would look for more 52" white pine slabs of gold!!! o_O

Hey Dan - I have some huge Red Oak and Black Cherry rounds / chips about that size, want to share your dealers name and number? I travel 80 E often going to camp in PA.

PM please - thanks.

Latest posts

Back