Atom Computer Ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dangit!!

I have drill next weekend with my Guard unit. How far is Gold Hill from Knoxville? I am Southwest of Knoxville about an hour. Thanks and know you all will have a great time. Have a blessed day.

032 AV + Omega Solid State ignition

Appreciate all the comments about the 032 AV. A friend gave me one that was being given away at some roadside tag sale... Had the same problems, wouldn't start most of the time, lousy idle, would race and die no matter how the Tillotson carb was adjusted. Sure seemed like a vacuum leak or carburetor problem to me(since the spark appeared to be OK), but after cleaning the carb, checking the fuel/impulse/intake rubber lines and even replacing the carb with a used one, it still wouldn't run. Cleaned the points, no change - saw unusable. Went back to my first instinct, which was that this was a points and condenser problem, but replacement parts are hard to get and expensive, let alone the problem of trying to adjust the points because the cam is on the flywheel. So I spent $18 on the NAPA Omega 7-01749 part, mounted it on a homemade bracket, ripped out the old points and condenser and - presto - whole new saw! Started right up on the second pull - runs perfectly! This is a great solution for old saws with points and condenser problems, which as we all know, don't last forever and can cause a slew of problems. Pic of my mods posted below - I didn't want to hotglue the Omega module to the ignition coil...

These under various names, although I understand that ATOM are no longer available seem to cure most ignition problems on motors with points type ignition i have read somewhere that some folks have found that they are a no go on old MAC`s they do some thing to alter the timing, When you try to start they nearly snatch your arm off. Can`t at the moment rember where I read it. Dang old age = brain fade.

How the solid state Omega/Nova/Atom units work

They are actually pretty simple - when the Omega unit detects and reaches a specific voltage level being induced in the low voltage side of the coil by the magnets on the spinning flywheel, that triggers a solid state switch(SCR) which instantly clamps the rising voltage to ground, creating/inducing a voltage spike in the high voltage secondary of the coil, producing a very healthy spark. The designer must have figured out what the best all around trigger voltage was, assuming that this peak probably coincides with the moment the spinning magnets produce their biggest kick to the magneto coil, which fortunately coincides timing-wise with the ideal moment to fire the spark plug. If you could vary the trigger voltage, you could vary the timing - advance or retard it - but of course, they are not adjustable. Nevertheless as far as my 032 AV is concerned, the trigger point seems to be ideally set, because the idle is perfect and the high speed performance delivers as much if not more power than the saw ever did when it was using points and condenser. Sure are handy these solid state triggers - I bet they would work well on virtually any single cylinder motor, 2 or 4 stroke, with a magneto and points, including, of course, most old chainsaws.

Atom modules work excellent on my old McCullochs. My old Macs start as easy as a new Stihl.

Atom/NovaII/Omega

The Atom, Nova II and Omega(stocked by NAPA) ignition modules all appear to be the same part, made most likely by one Asian manufacturer and sold under these three labels and probably a few more besides. A quick Google check on line reveals that they range in price from a little over $12 at smallengineadvisor.com to a bit over $20 at some other sites... a modest investment considering how much OEM parts(points and condenser) would cost, if available...

Installing Atom/NAPA/Omega in my 015AV

It's two years later and I have just installed the Omega module in my 015AV, another antique Stihl saw, which I bought new in 1977. It had been sputtering badly and never ran very well even after I bought a new set of points for it 3 or 4 years ago.
I can't stress the value of this conversion enough - the 015AV now runs perfectly... it's a whole new saw - night and day difference in performance. I have been using this same NAPA module(NAPA part number 7-01749 $20) in my 032AV for 2 years now(see above posts) and it has performed flawlessly during that time. And it's particularly easy to install it in a 015AV. I drilled a hole through the bottom of the saw case next to the ignition coil and mounted the module with a 8/32 nut, bolt and lock washer. If you have one of these old saws with points and condenser, this is a must do modification, particularly if you are having ignition problems. The module costs less than a new set of points for the 015AV(if you could find points for this old saw...) and works much better.

Last edited:
Here does this help.

attachment.php

I put the Omega on an old 031. Does the flywheel need to be turned about the 20 degrees as with other modules to get correct timing? It starts and runs but at times starts hard. I may also have a carb problem. The main thing I want to know is about the timing / flywheel.

Last edited:
Back