Austrian Pine Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoeckk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Several of our Austrian pines have white wax like ooze coming from their trunks does anyone know how to treat us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zimmerman pine moth.

This is a little more difficult to control than some other pests because timing is difficult and since it is lepidoptera the systemic insecticide imidacloprid isn't effective. I expect you could get good control with Safari (dinotefuran) or TREE-age systemic treatments. The "traditional" treatment is trunk sprays when they are out in your area. Even at that, there is some discrepancy whether that is best applied in the spring or fall.

If there are any really heavily infested trees, the trunks or limbs will likely break off where they are badly infested. I recommend removing those.

It could be several things:

Adelgids
Pine bark beetles
Pitch canker

More informations and pictures are needed.

I'm thinking it's probably the beetles due to the wax coming out of the trunk. It looks like candle wax...very heavy and layered. Do you know what treatment works best?

It could be several things:

Adelgids
Pine bark beetles
Pitch canker

More informations and pictures are needed.

It looks like candles after they have been burning very heavy thick and layered. After researching this I'm thinking pine beetles...do you have any suggestions on treatments? And when to treat?

First of all it's necessary to understand which bug your are dealing with.

Generally speaking if the pitch flow comes near branch whorls, you have Zimmerman Pine moth (good call), if the pitch comes from the trunk you have one of the several species of Pine bark beetle. Again generally speaking, the origin of pitch flows can help you identify the species of beetle you have.

With Pine bark beetle, the first thing to be done is to find out if there are active larvas and beetles by looking for boring dust. If it's not present, it means the pitch has managed to drown the beetles and done its job. The tree is weakened but has a shot at survival: an arborist with experience in pines (not just a guy who prunes cedars) may advise you on the steps to take.
If the tree is high values, it may be worth to remove the bark aroud the pitch source to check for galleries: if they are already extended there's nothing that can be done and the tree needs to be cut as soon as possible. Otherwise an arborist can be consulted to see if it's economically feasible to try saving the tree.
As said, if larvae are active only high value trees are worth saving: it just makes more economic sense to remove and replace smaller ones.

After researching more, I agree think it's the Zimmerman Pine Moth. Have learned a lot about them and will treat using High Yield 38 Permethrin in April and then again in August. Thanks for your help!!

Could also be pitch mass borer, Synanthedon species and also lepidopterous. Depends on where masses are, at whorls or internodal. Try scraping off some of the pitch masses and look for any critters in there to help ID and treatment timing based on degree day calender.

Warning ahead of time, that crap sticks to everything.

Brand name pyrethroids such as Astro or Onyx have a longer residual than generic analogs.
Safari may be pretty good and trunk injecting pitchy conifers is a PIA.

BUT...
P. nigra is a crap plant in most places so look around for tip blight, pine wilt, needlecasts etc in the area before you decide to treat these trees.
Long term, may not be worth it.

Yep...I tell people expect 20 years out of Austrian. Anything beyond 30 is borrowed time. If it is not Zimmerman, diplodia tip blight has historically been the nemesis. The last fee years I have been seeing a lot of dothistroma. All treatable if caught early, but the costs start to add up! Them you'll be right after another of those in a few years.

Latest posts

Back