Automated Biomass Conveyors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. Mainus

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
http://www.absbiomass.com

Does anyone have any experience with this company? I am only looking at their conveyors. A guy real close to me just started carrying them for sale and was wondering if anybody has any real world experience with them. Looking at a 24' conveyor. Roughly 8 grand for it.

Well I finally pulled the trigger on this and bought a conveyor. The dealer had a 24' that he used for demo's at his house so I saved a bunch on shipping. They have to re-engineer a new hopper for it though as the one it has sits to high for my TW-5. Hopefully have that in about 2 weeks give or take. So if anyone is interested I have a 28' grain elevator for sale. Will be posting in the classifieds later tonight.

IMG_2879.JPG IMG_2876.JPG IMG_2878.JPG

Well I finally pulled the trigger on this and bought a conveyor. The dealer had a 24' that he used for demo's at his house so I saved a bunch on shipping. They have to re-engineer a new hopper for it though as the one it has sits to high for my TW-5. Hopefully have that in about 2 weeks give or take. So if anyone is interested I have a 28' grain elevator for sale. Will be posting in the classifieds later tonight.

View attachment 552057 View attachment 552058 View attachment 552059

How much for your old one?

Where do you live? Pics?

8 paid about 10k for mine and it's not self powered. (Processor runs it)

Very nice looking machine.

I have a 28' Built-Rite, with a belt. When the hand crank jack is mounted on the upper mount, an auxiliary mount above the axle mount, and the jack extended the conveyor axle moves towards the hitch. The hitch end becomes very light as the balance point shifts. A couple times it tipped end for end. I had a big pile of splits, and I increased the conveyor height. As the last of the splits moved up the belt, toppling it, and came to rest lightly on the high pile. Once it tipped coming to rest hard on the ground, bending the top drum shaft slightly. Replacement was a not too bad, and Built-Rite sent the shaft right out in the mail.

I'm bringing this up because I noticed on the Bio Mass, the hydraulic hoses mount on the bottom of the top drum motor, and appear to be the point of first contact if it tipped end for end. The photos do not show the wheels, tires and tripod set-up. With mine, the maximum height can only be achieved if it is hooked to something to keep it from tipping.

I have a question for you.
Is it quiet to run?

Some have said their conveyors are noisy.
Perhaps the chain conveyors are more so than the belted ones.
Mine however, has a squeal to it, which I think is the idler rollers that support the return section of the belt. They are unserviceable hard rubber wheels with no apparent bushings or bearings. Lubing them is a temporary solution. So far I have not found a suitable replacement, but I'm still looking.

Sandhill

I don't have it yet so I can't tell you if its quiet to run or not. It seemed really quiet when I went and looked at it and ran it. Compared to the grain elevator I'm using now it is really quiet. We dump a quart of drain oil on it once a week to keep the squeaking down. It has hydraulic lift on it and we ran it up as high as it would go without it hooked to anything and it seemed fine. My 28' grain elevator I can pick up and move by hand, I couldn't budge this one when I tried to pick it up. The hydraulic lift has 2 adjustable arms that you can set with hitch pins when you get it at the height you want. I guess that way the cylinder does not have to hold the weight.

Sounds great.
When your done splitting, and the last of the splits gets past center (the lower half the belt empty, the top half loaded) it may still tip when top loaded. Just a caution, something to check out.

I'm changing mine over to hydraulic lift since breaking the hand crank jack. So far I've learned a lot, and paid dearly for that education.

I painted the valve orange yesterday after plugging the ports and degreasing with carb cleaner. I recoated today and it orange peeled as soon as I sprayed it.. Crap. No big deal I guess. It is still orange. Going to wait a couple days and then assemble. Four hoses go to the left of the valve. Got two hard 90's, and two tall hard 90's to make that work, but not until cutting off two new fittings and refiguring. The cylinder from Built-Rite did not bolt in either, and I was told it would. The mounts on the conveyor needed re-fabricated to work. Two trips to the hydraulic shop and two to the hardware so fare.

I am also wondering about cylinder drift and if I will encounter a problem. I read something about proportional valves but that was for a closed centered valve system and pressure compensating pump. (?) As it is there is no way to pin it as you described.

Today was the first day of using the new conveyor. It is a very nice piece of equipment. Took a little longer to get the new hopper for it but the dealer got it installed and delivered it on Saturday. Machine is very quiet, easy to use and adjust. Had to play with the tracking a little bit this morning but that is to be expected after they had the belt off to put on the new hopper. Compared to the grain elevators I'm used to using this thing is really slow. Its really nice to not have to pay attention to the elevator like we had to with the grain elevators, always had to watch them for splits getting stuck. No worries about this thing tipping over. Plenty of weight at the bottom that its not going anywhere. I can hang off the end of it and it doesn't move at all.

IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0034.JPG IMG_2961.JPG

Back